Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times

Advertisements

I would suggest taking a look at the school digger site for more info about the schools you are interested. It will show you their state rankings. For example Littleton High is 86th out of 245. Smoky Hill is ranked 60th. Cherokee Trail is ranked 23rd and so on and so forth. It will also give you more information about the population of these schools. I'd also look on the school websites for newsletters, teacher pages, etc. and on Facebook for school pages to get more of a feel for each school you are considering.
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CO/s...84/school.aspx

Are there any other factors in terms on neighborhood desires that might help narrow down the schools and area of town you wish to end up in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,134,731 times
First question, why I.B.? I understand the lure of the rigorous program, but many A.P. schools are as good/better than the I.B. schools. Furthermore, I.B. programs at many schools create a situation of the haves vs. have nots in the school. Strong academically serious students are placed in the I.B. Programme (their spelling, not mine), while the rest languish in non-I.B. track. Oftentimes, I.B. Programmes are used to attract better students to a particular lower-performing school. This is the reason why many of the I.B. schools have lower rankings.

One comment, I look at but do judge schools by the ratings of people. Ratings are compiled by those who love a place and those who hate a place, and each comment is from a person experience that varies from person to person. Very seldom is the majority represented. You need to visit these schools to see what you like.

Here is my take on the schools you have shortlisted:
1. Smoky Hill High School/Laredo Middle School: Very good school if your student is in the IB Programme. Neighborhood is in transition, so it can be hit and miss.

2. Cherokee Trail High School/Liberty Middle School: Newer schools and neighborhood. Very good all around in both I.B. and non-I.B. tracks.

3. Douglas County High School and middle feeder school is Mesa Middle School: I don't know a thing about Mesa Middle School. DCHS is an old high school with a new facility. It is good, but DCSD has issues and is not quite out of the woods yet.

4. Littleton High School combined with John Wesley Powell Middle School: Powell is a very good middle school, and Littleton HS is a really old schools with a moderately old facility. Neighborhood is transitional, with good IB Programme academics. Some problems if your student is not in the IB track.

That said. The best schools close to DTC:
1. Cherry Creek HS (CCSD). One of the the top high schools in the state. It is the standard that others use to measure themselves. Ask any school how they measure up to Cherry Creek, and you'll get an answer. Not many schools can say that. Upside: has one of the highest ACT averages in the state and strong academics top to bottom. Downside: it's huge.

2. Arapahoe HS (Littleton). A top-notch school that is up there with Cherry Creek. It is the best school in Littleton. Upside: Great academics and unique schedule. Downside: A lot of students have choiced-into the school. Not as much of a neighborhood school as others.

Me? I am a teacher in the area, and I know teachers, students, and parents at all of these schools. All of them like their school and all are successful. This is mostly because the students themselves are awesome and would succeed any place they went.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Fairview HS and Southern Hills MS in Boulder and have a soul crushing commute.

If you can start work early and leave early it might not be completely soul crushing.
That would not be worth it considering there are other options much closer to the OP's job.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,953,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That would not be worth it considering there are other options much closer to the OP's job.
I wouldn't do it, but it's the only combo of excellent MS and excellent HS with IB in the Denver Metro area.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
^^I'm not so sure about that. A lot of us in the Boulder Valley SD are in our own little bubble and think that there's none other. That is untrue.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,047,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I'm not so sure about that. A lot of us in the Boulder Valley SD are in our own little bubble and think that there's none other. That is untrue.
My older son went to Fairview and got IB diploma. My younger one is in Summit Middle (easily rivals Southern Hills in academic rigor) and will go to Fairview. Not sure if he will do IB, we'll have to see.

That said, when my dear friends were moving for a job downtown Denver and expressed interest in great schools, living in Centennial or thereabouts, I suggested Cherry Creek High. Two excellent feeder middle schools: Campus and West.

To OP: if your child is already in the IB program, then yes, look for a school offering IB. Otherwise, I wouldn't get too attached to it. With job in DTC, I would set my eyes on the above combo.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,434,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooja.a.goel View Post
great schools is my starting point to narrow down schools.....
One bit of advice. If you're looking at Great Schools, make sure you get the data from their own website, not from a real estate site. For example, one school near me, Falcon Creek MS, is listed as a 6 on Zillow (based on Great Schools) and as an 8 on the Great Schools site. Sometimes the real estate sites are using old data and the age of the data they use can vary by location. For instance, for the area I'm in now (zip 80016), Zillow is linking to Great School's test results from 2011 and for the east-coast area that I moved from, the results are from 2014. Just be careful about the source.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:35 PM

49 posts, read 47,516 times
Ranch View Middle and ThunderRidge High in Highlands Ranch both are IB and rated 6. I think they are really good schools, my daughter goes to Ranch View, but she is not an IB student. If your kids are in IB, they are the kind of kids who will get the very most out of any school you put them in. It would be a reasonable commute - especially if you have some flexibility to start early or late to avoid the worst of it. Hope this is helpful and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver