Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:27 AM

21 posts, read 17,974 times

Advertisements

I'll be flying into Denver May 20th and will be leaving May 24. I am renting a car so I can explore Colorado. I wanted to go see Rocky Mountain National Park, but I read that most trails are under snow. I really am wanting to hike most of this trip, so I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours from Denver to hike the best trails and get amazing photos. Can anyone recommend any amazing hikes a few hours from Denver?

Also, I'm open to any other outdoorsy adventures, restaurants/night life, and cities to visit so please recommend away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
If it's melted out by next weekend (and it may not be), Mount Flora is a good high-altitude hike. I wouldn't do it if there's considerable snow on the west and north faces of Colorado Mines Peak, though. Postholing makes for a long day.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...nt-flora-trail

Mayflower Gulch near Leadville is a great hike. It's not super challenging, but it may still be snowed in - meaning snowshoes or microspikes.

Down lower - Bergen Peak (Elk Meadow Park), Mount Falcon, Roxborough State Park, Castlewood Canyon State Park, Alderfer/Three Sisters, Garden of the Gods, Maxwell Falls, Mt. Sanitas, Chautauqua Park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Staunton State Park, Eldorado Canyon State Park, Lair o' the Bear, and Mueller State Park to name a few.

If you don't mind doing a little Class 3 scrambling head up to Fort Collins and hike Horsetooth Mountain.

All the places I mentioned are very popular - meaning the earlier you can get to the trailhead the better. For some of them 7am may be too late to get a parking spot.

A couple more resources:
Day Hikes Near Denver - Explore The Best Hikes In Colorado

http://www.hikingproject.com/

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-14-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-14-2017, 10:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Stay low. Coming from a lower altitude and trying to hike a trail that starts at 7,500' can lead to altitude sickness in a hurry.

Start with an easy Denver hike like Waterton Canyon and see what happens from there.

Oh, two more things: use sunscreen and stay hydrated.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Staying low this time of year is good advice unless you plan to bring snow shoes.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:25 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
I was up at Brainard Lake this weekend (10,000 feet), and there was still 2+ feet of snow up there.

bluescreen gave you a great list, and he/she is right that they will be crowded. Especially weekends with nice weather. You can also check out the Lumpy Ridge area in RMNP. It's low enough to not have snow, has some great views and scenery, and it's relatively easy to get to.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Adding on to my original post - unless you're bringing/renting winter gear (snowshoes, microspikes, fleece, etc.) forget the Mt. Flora and Mayflower Gulch recommendations I made and, as others have said, stay low (10,000' or lower). The weather forecast is going to be unsettled all week, and they're calling for a chance of thundersnow in the Denver Metro Area Thursday Night. That invariably means more snow for the high country.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Yes, there will still be snow in RMNP, but if you stay on well-used trails the snow will be packed and there's no need for snowshoes. Bring some hiking boots and maybe a walking stick or ski poles... in a pinch you might be able to find a stick to use. Be prepared for some mud and/or ice. Bring a change of socks and some comfy shoes for after the hike. I usually also bring some plastic bags to put boots in once I'm back to the car, if they're muddy.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:15 PM

834 posts, read 743,658 times
If you're going to RMNP I would visit the Gem Lake trail.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:26 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Best is very hard to identify. I'm going to assume you aren't descended from Sherpas.

If you aren't sure how you handle altitude try starting with Mount Falcon Park. It is really close. You have the option to hike from the bottom to the top (really challenging) or drive to the top and hike as much distance as your capable. All hiking routes are good in their own way and there is a diversity of types of hikes.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mount-falcon-park-morrison

Mount Falcon Park - Jefferson County, Colorado

Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 AM

49 posts, read 47,379 times
Agree with mic111 - I love Mt. Falcon Park.
Also check out Devils Tower which is out Rampart Range Road.
Eldorado State Park near Boulder - really phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver