Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 AM

82 posts, read 486,284 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if Fronteir Air will make it through their Chapter 7 reorganization. They say that flights will continue as normal throughout the period. Would you have enough confidence in their statements to book a flight a couple months from now?

And if you have flown fronteir, how is the service overall?

I have never flown with them and was looking to use them on my next trip. The tickets are $100 cheaper... but that seems to come with some risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:38 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
They filed chapter 11, and it is a situation they were forced into. In fact Frontier continues to have cash reserves in excess of 120 million dollars.

Your two big choices for direct flights from Denver are United and Frontier. I avoid United (after being 1k with them for a few years). After 9/11 and their own problems they are now reduced to only those sky waitresses with seniority. As such they are an old and bitter bunch and make the trip unpleasant. Just before the last holiday season two of the old bags had the audacity to complain about losing their pensions and how much they hated their jobs ... while handing out drinks to customers.

Frontier on the other hand, while it has no first or business class is a more upbeat atmostphere with generally younger and well adjusted crews and television in every seat on every flight -- for 5 bucks if you don't have status with them.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
They're actually in Chapter 11, not chapter 7. Chapter 11 means that they are given court protection from their creditors while they reorganize. As it turns out, all the major airlines have been in and out of Chapter 11 since 9/11 with the exceptions of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, so just being in Chapter 11 really doesn't necessarily indicate they are imminently headed toward liquidation. As a matter of fact, Chapter 11 does pretty much guarantee that they'll continue flying for at least another year to a year and a half while their bankruptcy plan heads through the courts. With fuel skyrocketing, it's going to be tough for ANY airline to make it (which is why this rash of mergers is hitting us), but my personal feeling is that Frontier make it out of Chapter 11 in a couple years.

I've flown Frontier many times, and they're quite possibly the best airline flying (Right up there with JetBlue and Midwest). Brand-new planes, great service, spotless maintenance record, great on-time record. You can't find a better, more customer-focused airline.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Wow, I really meant chapter 11... That little mistake on my part is a BIG difference in the question.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM

And thank you for your responses steve and tfox, it definately helps my decision.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM

271 posts, read 1,380,398 times
Frontier's going to be around for quite a while. Great airline, I fly with them whenever possible.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Yep. Good airline. I've flown them to Denver three times in the last year. I love not having to connect anywhere and the DirecTV is great.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I always flew the *original* Frontier in the 70's, and then again when the airline was revived in the 90's, and enjoyed its excellent service. Used to love those breakfast burritos!
I was a teeny bit disappointed with Frontier when I flew last month from Jax to San Francisco. My 6am departure out of Jax was delayed a half an hour because it was late getting out of Denver, and as a result, I *barely* made my Denver connection.
And again, my late-night return out of SFO had the same thing happen.
The breakfast burritos have turned into stale granola bars, and I didn't feel like paying $5 (or $8 for a movie) so watched the one free channel: the Mapquest screen.
I think the airline industry in general is going through some changes, and maybe those changes need to happen. I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out.
I do hope Frontier can survive.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM

53 posts, read 227,111 times
With their cash reserves, I imagine (and hope!) they will make it out of bankruptcy. I flew United every week for many years (1K) and now avoid them if possible. The moral at all levels at United is horrible.

C'mon Frontier!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
I beleive that Frontier will make it out of bankruptcy- they may just have to scale back their operations somewhat by eliminating unprofitable routes, etc... I think that the people of Denver really stand behind Frontier.

There is never a 100% guarantee when buying any airline ticket, but I'd say that at this point it's a safe buy.

GO FRONTIER... You can do it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver