Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 11:15 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times

Advertisements

I charge everything I can, and pay in full each month, and get back 2% of all that I spend.

I only use the debit card for ATM withdrawals. IIRC if a thief gets your ATM card and pin they can drain your checking account, and I believe you are not protected like when a credit card is used by a thief.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 05:52 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I charge everything I can, and pay in full each month, and get back 2% of all that I spend.

I only use the debit card for ATM withdrawals. IIRC if a thief gets your ATM card and pin they can drain your checking account, and I believe you are not protected like when a credit card is used by a thief.
Debit cards are protected just like a credit card (they have their own rules though)

If your credit, ATM, or debit card is lost or stolen, federal law limits your liability for charges made without your permission, but your protection depends on the type of card — and when you report the loss.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:28 AM

8,085 posts, read 7,457,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
... I believe you are not protected like when a credit card is used by a thief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Debit cards are protected just like a credit card (they have their own rules though)
My wife's ATM card was spoofed somehow, and a $7.95 parking fee was charged to it, this past summer. Our bank called us because their algorithm told them it was a fraudulent charge, so reversed the charge and gave her a new card.

As for gasoline, I pay cash if there's a cash discount. Otherwise I use a debit card. My Discover Card only fields a nickel in bonus for every $20 spent so it's not really an incentive for gasoline purchases.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:48 AM

10,355 posts, read 8,581,497 times
I get my gas at Costco with their Citibank visa. Cheapest gas around, top tier quality, and another 4% off for using the card.

Old 10-03-2023, 05:01 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,503,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Off the top of my head I can remember 6 times my card number was part of a fraud. Never lost a penny from it. Probably happened more but after the second time I just thought of the small hassle that comes from it using cards. I never use debit cards and suggest no one else do that but credit cards are good about getting your money back and getting you a new card. I used to evangelize about using credit cards for everything and paying your bill every month but I realized too many people don't have that discipline. I guess if that's the case then good for them for using cash and not ending up spending double or more for their gas when it's finally paid off
I use credit cards (I have 2, a Delta and an American Airlines card) and I pay them off every month too. The only thing I use cash for is gas because my credit card number was skimmed from a gas station a couple years ago and I'd just rather not go through that hassle again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: