Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I will move to Lakewood in next month. I want to set up an internet line in my appartment. Please give me some information about Internet Services in Lakewood. I see some Internet service company in US as Comcast, AT&T ... But I don't know which is the best (I mean about the quality, price and contract condiction ...). Their advertisings is ... advertisings ... . Please give me your advices and experience about them.
Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,709 times
Hi paris_guy78 and welcome to the forums,

You primarily have 2 or 3 options.
1. DSL from the phone company from Qwest - Cheapest option for basic/low DSL speeds. They have higher speeds plans as well.
2. Cable/Broadband Fast Internet from Comcast
3. Satellite - very expensive and not very fast from what I have heard.

I used to have DSL but now I have Comcast Cable (6Mb/s) with a cable package. Right now it is the best bang for the buck.

Do you need a very fast connection? If not, and if you plan to have a phone line form Qwest, then the DSL will be the best option. On the other hand Comcast now has an option for cable, phone, and Internet as well.

Good luck with the mode. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
Do you get a discount for cable/internet package from Comcast? We don't need the VoIP.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
Hi paris_guy78 and welcome to the forums,

You primarily have 2 or 3 options.
1. DSL from the phone company from Qwest - Cheapest option for basic/low DSL speeds. They have higher speeds plans as well.
2. Cable/Broadband Fast Internet from Comcast
3. Satellite - very expensive and not very fast from what I have heard.

I used to have DSL but now I have Comcast Cable (6Mb/s) with a cable package. Right now it is the best bang for the buck.

Do you need a very fast connection? If not, and if you plan to have a phone line form Qwest, then the DSL will be the best option. On the other hand Comcast now has an option for cable, phone, and Internet as well.

Good luck with the mode. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you very much ColoWeb about your information.
This morning I called to Qwest, but they told me that DSL at my area is not available rightnow (my apartment in Lakewwod in area with zip CO 80232).
About the comcast, so interested in the speedy but the price is not cheap. If I use Comcast, I have to have a telephone line first, right ?
I see the price in the website is 19.99/mo for 6 months, and after how much have I to pay ?
If they need a telephone line first, I think I will use telephone line with Qwest and use internet service with comcast, that is the best way ?
Please give me some advice about this problem !
This is the first time I come to USA (I am from France), so that I don't know too much about the service internet over here.
Thank you for your helping
Paris_guy78

Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 PM

618 posts, read 1,367,028 times
I highly recommend comcast internet - it's superfast.

Cost depends on which services you get. I believe you can get cable, phone and internet for $99/month for 12 months - after that it goes up considerably.

I have the cable + internet bundle. I believe I pay 45 for internet and 13 for cable. I have the cheapest cable option available which only includes the network channels and few cable channels - we don't watch much tv. Without buying cable, internet service alone will cost you somewhere in the mid-$50 range.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_guy78 View Post
This morning I called to Qwest, but they told me that DSL at my area is not available rightnow (my apartment in Lakewwod in area with zip CO 80232).
About the comcast, so interested in the speedy but the price is not cheap. If I use Comcast, I have to have a telephone line first, right ?
I see the price in the website is 19.99/mo for 6 months, and after how much have I to pay ?
If they need a telephone line first, I think I will use telephone line with Qwest and use internet service with comcast, that is the best way ?
This is the first time I come to USA (I am from France), so that I don't know too much about the service internet over here.
Paris_guy78
DSL, such as Qwest, requires a telephone line first. Comcast high speed goes through the cable television lines, and as such no phone line is required. Regular service including a rented modem and taxes/fees generally runs about $55 a month for standard, and an extra $10 for the premium service I believe. You can get digital phone service with Comcast as well, which also runs through the cable lines.

Comcast overall is probably a better bet depending on what you need. With having to pay for a phone line along with DSL service, Qwest is only a little bit cheaper but significantly slower. Though if you NEED a phone line, and don't care too much about speed, then Qwest is fine. Compared to France and most of Europe though, the "high speed service" is incredibly slow. I have had both services at different times, and both are reliable and rarely seem to go down.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_guy78 View Post
Paris_guy78
Hi paris_guy78,
If DSL is not available then the other choice is Comcast (cable/broadband internet). It is faster but also more expensive. If you go with Comcast then I suggest you do Comcast phone and internet package as it will be cheaper than doing Comcast internet and Qwest separately.
I am on the 6 months $19.99/month promotion as well. Once that is over, the price is $45 / month (yes it is expensive!).

Another though: Are you going to buy/get a cell/mobile phone? If so, then I would not even bother with getting a phone line and just using your cell phone (if you are not doing too much talking). That is what I do.

So you are coming from France? Very interesting! Are you moving or just visiting? What are your plans to do in Denver?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Thank you to Augie Daugie, Buffs82 and ColoWeb about your advices. I think I will use Comcast is the best way in this time.
By the way, I want to ask about rate of telephone. If I use telephone of comcast, how much will I be charged when call to out of state ? ... It's free to call oversea.
In France, I used internet service of Free Company (its name is Free). With pakage internet ADSL 2+, Telephone and Television I only paid 30 Euro/mo.... But it is history, rightnow I live in Usa (*_*).
@ ColoWeb : I am from Paris. I move to colorado because of my wife lives over here. And maybe I will set up a new live in here. I'm graphic artist designer. I'm looking for a job over here. Hopefully, I will find a job in Colorado in next time.
Regards,
Paris_guy78

Last edited by paris_guy78; 05-24-2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 PM

I am not using comcast's phone but as far as I know it is free to call any state within the USA. I do not know about international rates. For international, it may be better to buy a phone card or use another company for that (for cheaper rates).

The way it works (another company program or a phone card) is that you dial a local number and then a pin to use that card/program.

Good luck with everything!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM

87 posts, read 254,092 times
Anyone have Cricket? I'm moving to Lakewood in about two weeks on a six month lease. Comcast locks you in a contract, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver