Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 62,286 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My name is Michael, I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL but am relocating back to Denver in Late April. I am a huge pipe organ music fan and I am thinking of starting a website/blog when I get to Denver for Denver Pipe Organ Enthusiasts. A place where organists holding recitals can post their dates, where people wanting to go to Organ Recitals can look for recitals. Also I would like to post pictures of Denver area pipe organs. Each are different and unique. Some day I would like to see the Colorado Symphony get their own pipe organ. Currently, they are using and electric. Anyway, I hope there are a few more out there like me.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 AM

26,239 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Hello, welcome to city-data and welcome back to CO. We've been in COSpr for almost 2 years now. LOVE IT.

Don't know a thing about pipe organs in CO, but will tell you that I do belong to a non-profit group run out of Annapolis, MD that is dedicated to preserving what may well be the grand-daddy of all pipe organs, the one in the Atlantic City, NJ, Convention Center. The group is called ACCHOS and their website is: http://www.acchos.org/ (broken link) I'm more interested in historical preservation (especially old railroad stuff) than the engineering of the organs, but obviously great work like these big old pieces needs to be preserved, restored and used. I've a few CD's of organ music put out by ACCHOS and the take of Old Man River is enough to make a grown man cry...

One pipe organ worth seeing and hearing is found in Philadelphia in the big downtown Macy's (was Wannamaker's).

s/Mike from back east

PS: Haven't checked yet, but I do suggest you start a thread in General U.S. about pipe organs...might work out well, since this board is crawled by all the 'bots and keywords on here do get picked up by all the main search engines.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:22 AM

8 posts, read 62,286 times
Default Thanks Mike

I am fully aware of the Wannamaker organ, WOW, I have not been fortunate enough to See/Hear it in person, but I will one day. Thank you so much for the info. I will definately take your advice and check the websites. As for, Colo and the move, I am soooo excited.

Thanks again!

See ya soon..

Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,123,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italspano View Post
I am fully aware of the Wannamaker organ, WOW, I have not been fortunate enough to See/Hear it in person, but I will one day. Thank you so much for the info. I will definately take your advice and check the websites. As for, Colo and the move, I am soooo excited.
Thanks again! See ya soon..
You're welcome. We went to Phila on the Friday of a Memorial Day weekend. Purpose was to ride the then-new Acela train from DC to Phila and get an "authentic" cheese steak. Had a great time walking around the city. Maybe a half mile from the Amtrak station was Macy's (Wannamaker's) so we went in. Didn't even know of the organ, but they had some WW-II guys in there from an American Legion Post and the organ was cranked up to provide music for that event. Was a treat to hear it. Then we walked over to Reading Terminal Market for some cheese steaks. All in all it was a very fattening day, and you could say with the train tickets cranked in that it was the world's most expensive cheesesteak lunch.

s/Mike from back east

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM

31 posts, read 133,367 times
There must be a following in Colorado. I know of two guys who are very busy playing in churches, and one (my boss) is very active with AGO.

....google AGO and you will find listings of their Colorado activities, as well as contacts.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:49 AM

53 posts, read 492,166 times
Here is a link you will appriciate...

Theater Organ association of the Rocky Mountains...

http://www.rmcatos.org/

They have events about once a month.. there are I think 2-3 organs scattered around the area that they maintain and perform on.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 18,974 times
Smile Wanamaker BIG Event on June 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You're welcome. We went to Phila on the Friday of a Memorial Day weekend. Purpose was to ride the then-new Acela train from DC to Phila and get an "authentic" cheese steak. Had a great time walking around the city. Maybe a half mile from the Amtrak station was Macy's (Wannamaker's) so we went in. Didn't even know of the organ, but they had some WW-II guys in there from an American Legion Post and the organ was cranked up to provide music for that event. Was a treat to hear it. Then we walked over to Reading Terminal Market for some cheese steaks. All in all it was a very fattening day, and you could say with the train tickets cranked in that it was the world's most expensive cheesesteak lunch.

s/Mike from back east
Any fans of the Wanamker organ should try to make the all day event on June 9, 2007. I found out about it in "The American Organist" (AGO magazine). My wife and i are going to travel from SW Virginia to be there, and am sure it will be the biggest, most glorious day in many decades.

Richard - a pipe organ enthusist.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 18,974 times
Smile Wnnamaker all day event June 9, 20076

Don't miss this full day of highly talented musicians sound all 462 stops of pipes. First concert is at 10 AM with guest artist Alan Morrison. Peter Richard Conte rattles the rafters at 11:30 AM. At 2:30PM, Ron Rhode, theatre-organist extraodainaire will make the Wanamaker organ sizzle. The closing concert will be at 5PM with Florida Singing Sons Boychoir, Peter Richard Conte, Rudy Lucente and the Friends of the Wanamaker Organ Brass Ensemble.
Spread the word! We are traveling form SW Virginia to spend the day, as this will be the biggest BLOW OUT of Wanamaker pipes in many decades.

Richard - a pipe organ enthusist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: