Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 AM

14 posts, read 35,209 times

Advertisements

I own a 1990 Buick LeSabre. I'm contemplating a move to Denver, Colorado. I've lived in New Jersey and LA. and am used to the problems associated with car ownership and driving in both those places. But I'm wondering what special problems there are in Denver that go with owning and operating a car.

Is the altitude a problem? Will I have to have my car adjusted to work right at the Denver altitude?

What are the Denver police like? The LA cops were positively scary. We used to laugh that they called in a helicopter to go after you if your license had expired. Seriously, they gave you ticket if you didn't stop at the stop line. Even if you did stop closer to intersection, where you could actually see oncoming traffic.

New Jersey is so broke, the cops set up stings in towns to give out tickets for the smallest infraction, like too much snow on your car roof, to pay their salaries. In my small town, cops make 100 grand after five years on the force and it goes up from there and we have more than 50 of them. Needless to say, the town is broke. And the roads have mega potholes.

Any advice or stories of what to expect in Denver would be appreciated. I don't really like cars, but realize that you have to have them. I just want to know what to look out for.

I read somewhere that the cops in Denver can confiscate your car if they give you a ticket for speeding or something. Is this still true?

How's the winter driving? I don't use snow tires in NJ even though we get lots of snow and ice. Do I need them in Denver? Will I need chains?

Thanks so much for any advice to help this car-a-phobe deal with a whole new set of car problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 AM

360 posts, read 1,127,487 times
Have you considered Car-free living in Denver?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...light=car+free

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,792,395 times
I think you'll find the police situation in Colorado to be much more pleasant than what you're used to.

You won't need to make any changes in your driving equipment unless you plan on driving in the mountains in the winter. In that case, you should invest in tire chains and keep them in your trunk.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:44 PM

360 posts, read 1,127,487 times
Welcome to Colorado.

Here is a link for various questions regarding driving in the Centennial State.

Colorado Highway Quickfacts

Enjoy.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 35,209 times
Thank you milehiguy and 80skeys for your help. How reassurring and what a relief that I will find it more pleasant to drive in Colorado than I have on either coast. You've taken a great weight off my ming. I will definately access the websites milehiguy sent. I have considered going car free in Denver. I'm a former New York City person and know how fun it is to be in a walkable city. However, the person who may go car free will be my son, who is 22 and wants to get out on his own once we get to Colorado. I plan to live outside Denver in a lower pressure, more quiet, rural setting, as I am retired now. But cars are a big worry for me because my husband used to handle them and now he's gone so I have to do it all by myself. Thank you so much for your help, websites and reassurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: