Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 AM

8 posts, read 77,703 times

Advertisements

I moved to CO Springs from Georgia last August and it's not quite what I thought it was. I expected more snow and I'm really big into mountains and scenery and would like to live closer to ski areas. I've got my eye set on Golden , Colorado.

I do know the cost of living will go up...but how much? I know Colorado Springs Utilities is rather cheap, my power / gas bill is rather affordable. My rent is also affordable as I live in a mobile home park, and its also on the west side of Colorado Springs and quite free of crime. I want to be close to the mountains, as that was the reason I chose the west side of Colorado Springs, I'm almost on the mountain line as it is.

I just find CO Springs boring. I want out, and I know I do not want to put down roots anywhere in this city. I've read up on Golden and it's only 15 miles west of Denver, and at the foothills of the Rockies. I haven't been there yet but I'm thinking of going up there looking it over next week.

I've decided I'm getting out of Colorado Springs, everyone I asked has told me Denver gets more snow, and that's one of the main things I left the south for was to get snow regular. I'm trying to find the perfect compromise, by living in a place that is close to mountains as I can get , gets lots of snow, and still is within reasonable driving distance to work, as Denver is still not far from Golden.

I'm just kinda worried that the cost of living might be way more than I can handle. Anyone live in Golden or can tell me about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM

224 posts, read 559,688 times
Hey CR, I live in Golden (up in the foothills on Lookout Mtn). We have: great views (mine is to the east, but plenty of houses are also on the western side); lots more snow than Denver; proximity to Denver (20-30 minutes to downtown); close to skiing (an hour to Copper); good hiking & biking trails within a few minute (Apex & Chief Hosa). Old-town Golden is very charming, too, and I expect there's more affordable living choices down there.

Go to craigslist and put "Golden" in the Apts/Housing category - looks like there are plenty of rental "price points" available. Be aware that the "Golden" address area is huge, some of it is practically in Boulder.

This year the amount of snow up here on Lookout has been phenomenal - we had 3 snows in October that were about a foot each. Downtown Golden was probably more in line with Denver. Also, it is often VERY windy up here, again probably not such as issue in the town part of Golden.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Depending on what you do for work, you also might want to check out Evergreen or Conifer. The cost of living is higher, but you still might be able to find accommodations that would work for you.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Ready View Post
I just find CO Springs boring.
Amen to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver