Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Well, you brought up that destination shopping doesn't mean much, but I'm pretty sure if an Apple store came to downtown Des Moines it might be bigger than the macarena.
Yeah, I suggested for certain people that being close to destination shopping center/area would not be high on their list of considerations on which neighborhood to live. For others, it would. This was only in response to you introducing Apple store to the discussion which I questioned the relavency to this topic (and continue to do so).

The K & G guy in the story obviously is more interested in living near the amenities offered in SH vs closer to his office and your example of Sun Prairie that yes, is closer to Apple Store.

You still have yet to clarify what point you had in bringing the Apple Store proximity to Sun Prairie as to the point of being able to go without a car in DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Only to illustrate than it's not some amazing thing to live urban, when your amenities are still out in the suburbs. Trader joe's, Whole Foods, Best Buy (yes I know the south side has one).

I'm not sure you can even buy a lamp in DSM's "urban core". If you could, it would be from an overpriced local store with a very small selection.

That part didn't make the story, but it would be annoying to have to call a friend anytime you wanted to buy something like a TV, fan, etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Only to illustrate than it's not some amazing thing to live urban, when your amenities are still out in the suburbs. Trader joe's, Whole Foods, Best Buy (yes I know the south side has one).

I'm not sure you can even buy a lamp in DSM's "urban core". If you could, it would be from an overpriced local store with a very small selection.

That part didn't make the story, but it would be annoying to have to call a friend anytime you wanted to buy something like a TV, fan, etc.
You realize the K&G guy isn't here to defend why he chose SHdon't you even though you want to keep implying he has no business liking SH over Sun Prairie? Also, you agree people have different tastes and should be allowed to appreciate different things than you, correct? Not everyone longs to live within a stones throw of Applebees & Chili's. That said, I'm sure it is a hardship for him to do his weekly lamp shopping 20 minutes from his home but I bet he finds a way to manage.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Wow! Have I missed a lot!
I was so confused this morning at the "Sun Prairie" references here & wondered what Madison's largest suburb had to do with any of this.
So, I went digging way on back & learned that there is an apartment complex named "Sun Prairie" in Des Moines.
I thought that I had contracted a bad case of brain vertigo. LOL!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Me, too, Alter8. I got it, now.

When I first moved to Columbus, OH, I misplaced my Advil and asked where I could get more quickly. They told me "Graceland." The first thing that came to my mind was Elvis' home in TN, but this Graceland is a strip mall.

I'll get my knowledge of Des Moines places up to speed soon.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The more impressive shopping is not in downtown Des Moines, even as amazing as you may think downtown is.
I hesitated to address this directly since it is waaaayy off topic, and not everyone is as fixated on shopping as others. That said, hopefully in 5 years or so, downtown will have added a nice mix of additional local and some national retailers:

Quote:
Walnut Street will feature urban gardens, local and national retail shops, and parallel parking spots that wrap the street. Project leaders want the corridor to bridge the Court Avenue and Western Gateway districts, linking the areas through pedestrian-friendly walkways and entertainment options.

Read more: Business Record: Leaders ready to turn on the lights on Walnut Street

Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Again, that's still theoretical. The better shopping is in WDM. Not a reason to cry.

Also, not everything in suburban DSM is Applebees, like you so often imply.

Locally owned restaurants like Cool Basil, Mama Lacona's, Taki, Cosi Cucina, are all in the suburbs. You don't hear about them because it would hurt the "DSM IS BIG CITY URBAN" crowd's agenda.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Again, that's still theoretical. The better shopping is in WDM. Not a reason to cry.

Also, not everything in suburban DSM is Applebees, like you so often imply.

Locally owned restaurants like Cool Basil, Mama Lacona's, Taki, Cosi Cucina, are all in the suburbs. You don't hear about them because it would hurt the "DSM IS BIG CITY URBAN" crowd's agenda.
Okay.

BTW...I think you meant "proposed", not "theoretical".

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM

From the article:

"The final streetscape concept is slated to go before the Des Moines City Council in May; if approved, construction will begin in early 2014."

At this point, it hasn't even been proposed to the City Council, making it theoretical. It's basically the downtown community alliance/young professional bowling club/downtown popcorn is better than suburbia committee collectively tooting their own horn to each other.

I personally think it would be good for the city if the brought in some retailers people have actually heard of, although the chance of this is not very high. Possibly another Jimmy John's could seal the deal.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
At this point, it hasn't even been proposed to the City Council, making it theoretical.
Just when the "going to the store" line was losing steam, you feed us some new material to work with. Thanks!

Can you point to any source for the defination for "proposal"(or proposed) that requires that an idea, concept, plan, rendering, brainstorm....heck, sketch on a napkin...must first be presented before a body of gov't before it can rightfully labeled as proposed or a proposal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines