Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,107 times

Advertisements

I'm sure that there are numerous postings asking the same questions I am about to ask but I hope that some of you will be kind enough to answer them for me..
We are moving to Des Moines in a couple of months and we really don't know the area at all, nor have really been to the Midwest for that matter, except Chicago for vacations.. Anyway, we really would like some inputs on where the best place to live there. Our main priority would be the schools. I have two children who attend elementary school and the quality of the school is the most important for us. This includes the quality of teachers, extracurricular activities (do they have any sports teams, and do they have music- band and/or choir, art classes, science classes, etc), the quality of the exterior (is it clean? Is it relatively new? Do they have a large outdoor area for children to play and run freely.. That sort. This is important because of past experience).. If anyone can give me a list of schools that they consider are the best school or even districts, I'd really appreciate it.
I suppose that this will be similar to schools or at least have correlations to it, but what are the best towns to live that c surround Des Moines...We would probably rent before buying something but we hope to stay in the same neighborhood and hence would really like to find the right town for us.. Don't know how much of that really made sense but if anyone can provide a list of the best towns (higher than average median income, high percentage of professionals and families vs single..) Just a town that's affordable for middle class and is desirable, safe, and all those things mothers look for to raise children in without worrying about high crime rates, etc. If you can help out in anyway, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
1. West Des Moines
2. Clive
3. Waukee
4. Ankeny

Start with these if you have good jobs. If you can't afford anything right in these areas, there are still plenty of choices! Basically, avoid right around the fairgrounds and some areas of the south side (NOT ALL!). A good realtor can help you with that.

Honestly, most of Des Moines is fairly safe. I'm from Columbus, Ohio and there aren't *any* areas that were as bad as the near east side. The police do a good job here. That doesn't mean you should be shopping alone at 2 am, but if you take the usual precautions, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 AM

179 posts, read 247,976 times
To expand a little on what meemur has said, there are lots of great areas if ytou can afford them. Over the past 10-15 years the greater Des Moines area has experienced an explosion in growth. So, this has meant lots of new neighborhoods, lots of new schools. Now, new doesn't necessarily mean "great" but school quality generally tends to follow the money (not saying it's right, but it tends to be true).

In Iowa, elementary "sports" tend to be organized outside the schools, they otften use schools for organizational purposes (i.e. putting a team together by common school) but the programs are run either by independent groups or by city rec departments. You'll find a ton of basketball leagues, flag football, soccer, dance, gymnastics, martial arts etc. again, the more affluent areas tend to have more "clubs" Band and Orchestra runs through the schools (although you'll likely find private lessons and other groups abound outside the schools as well.) Orchestra tends to start 4th grade, band in 5th in most places.

I hope you find the people welcoming here. One of the little things I always like are people who hold doors for you and smile and nod as you make eye contact. i've noticed those things go away in bigger cities, I think they pretty much still exist across our state, and I like that. As to whether you can expect neighbors rushing to your door with baked goods depends on your neighborhood. If you're friendly to people they'll be friendly and interested in where you've come from and what brings you here. It's curiosity, not prying (usually) so don't be surprised. By the same token we'll probably have little patience if you want to tell us how great it was where you came from. But I don't think that's a lot different from any other place or any other poeple.

Welcome to Iowa

Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
As to whether you can expect neighbors rushing to your door with baked goods depends on your neighborhood.
LOL. Not my neighborhood, although I've heard of that happening. What did happen was a lot of offers to help (two neighbors have snow blowers) when we had that awful snow storm last winter. Mostly my neighbors keep to themselves (everyone works a lot!) but there always seems to be a helping hand available if there's an emergency.

I know that if a tornado blew through here, within the hour, neighbors would be on the street with chain saws, sandwiches, and coffee. I've never lived anywhere else where I've seen the community come together as quickly as it does here.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
There are no bad school districts in the metro and there are no cities in the metro that don't have the qualities you're looking for (including Des Moines proper).

Iowa is among the best places in the country for consistent high school music programs, especially band and choir.

From Des Moines Public Schools:
Greenwood Elementary (Roosevelt High School)
Hanawalt Elementary (Roosevelt High School)
Hubbell Elementary (Roosevelt High School)
Downtown School (Roosevelt High School)
Wright Elementary (Lincoln High School)
Jefferson Elementary (Lincoln High School)
Samuelson Elementary (Hoover High School)

Any from the following:
Johnston Community Schools (Johnston High School)
Urbandale Community Schools (Urbandale High School)
Ankeny Community Schools (Ankeny High School & Ankeny Centennial High School)
Waukee Community Schools (Waukee High School)
West Des Moines Community Schools (Valley High School)

Also not bad:
Adel-DeSoto-Minburn Community Schools (ADM High School)
Norwalk Community Schools (Norwalk High School)
Indianola Community Schools (Indianola High School)
Southeast Polk Community Schools (SEP High School)
Dallas Center-Grimes Community Schools (DCG High School)

As others have said, you're unlikely to be or even feel unsafe anywhere in Des Moines. We have more than our fair share of problems, including crime, but it's very easy to avoid.

As far as towns and neighborhoods, the higher/highest median income are probably:
South of Grand (Des Moines)
Beaverdale (Des Moines)
Southwestern Hills (Des Moines)
Johnston, especially near Saylorville Lake
Ankeny
West Des Moines, Urbandale, & Clive west of I-35
Waukee
Southwest fringe, including southwest West Des Moines, southern Waukee, parts of Cumming & Norwalk, etc.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,107 times
I've been seeing Waukee and Ankeny pop up quite consistently so we will definitely be looking into those two as well as what you guys have recommended. My husband will be there tomorrow but only for a day, and hopefully he can go see as many that you all have recommended during his short visit.
From what you guys have all said, it sounds like a great place to raise kids and I gotta admit that after growing up all over the pacific rim, I just really never imagined moving to really anywhere in the Midwest... We moved to Vegas (well Henderson, which is the suburb outside of Vegas) after living in Hawaii about ten months ago and I honestly cannot deal with how unfriendly the people are here, as well as the high crime rates (even though most of it occurs around downtown and the strip, about fifteen miles from where we live). It's always really violent crimes too, as you can imagine.. Hawaii wasn't like that, especially even a couple of years ago... I remember the breaking story for one day was a prized pregnant cow that was killed and dumped by a beach in Maui... And I miss places like that.. Where breaking news isn't some horrific random shoot out or the like...
I do have a couple of other questions as well... How is the job growth over there? Here in Vegas is still pretty rough.. Sure they have plenty of minimum wage type of "labor intensive" jobs that usually have a high turn over rate but with a bachelors degree, that's definitely not what I'm looking for... But other jobs are pretty limited and highly competitive... So it's been a struggle here. Hawaii was about the same... I suppose because both places are tourist destinations so many of the jobs are in that field. I read somewhere that the unemployment rate in Des Moines is much lower than the national average. I'm sure that it all depends on the fiel- regarding the "abundance" of jobs but I'm just wondering if, in general, there's truth to it..
Also, what about diversity? I'm actually half Asian and half Caucasian and well when we lived in Montana for about two years, I got a LOT of stares and a lot of "what are you" kind of questions.. And I admit that at times I felt kind of excluded, and often felt like I didn't belong there. So it is one of my biggest concerns personally..
Anyway, I thank you all so much for taking the time out to reply to my thread. It really helps a lot and I actually do feel more excited to move there! If you want to share anything else, please feel free to do so.. Like best restaurants or best parks, things to do with the family on the weekend... anything really! Again, I really appreciate your replies!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM

The economy is reasonable here. I don't know of anyone who has marketable skills and a clean record who isn't working, at least part-time. I do know some youngsters with DUIs who are having a difficult time, but that's another problem entirely.

As for diversity, there's a fair amount of it on the west side. Also, as a generalization, Des Moines residents are polite in the real world (aside from a few exceptions on this forum (-: ) and tend to take "differences" in stride to a certain extent. If you smile, act friendly, and aren't dressed in some extremely loud neon costume that shows off too much of your underwear, you'll make friends in no time, and I'm sure you'll fit right in with the other parents.

As for entertainment . . . I'll start it off with the upcoming State Fair, Aug. 7 - 17(?) not sure of the end date.

http://www.iowastatefair.org/

Old 07-30-2014, 05:05 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,588 times
I echo what the others have said. The people here really are top drawer. There's really this feeling that "we're all in this thing together" that I've experienced in Des Moines many times. I used to live in Hawaii like the OP, and it's kind of like the "aloha spirit." And if there's ever a flood, tornado, blizzard, or anything really, the people in Des Moines are among the best to go through such events with because everyone seems to be there for each other.

I don't drive and I schlep my groceries to and from Walmart quite frequently. People always stop and ask if I need rides. I never take anyone up on it, but I still think it's an incredibly kind gesture to reach out to a stranger that you won't find in most places. My co-workers always offer to give me rides and buy me food and drinks without me ever asking. It's their way of looking out for me. And my co-workers are what would be considered low class, but they're still wonderful people and indicative of the generally good people you'll find in Iowa. I've had neighbors mow my lawn and shovel my walk before for no reason at all, and the lady across the street bought me a month's worth of groceries when my mom died. This was on the east side too, which is considered a bad area of town. I've found the people here to be generally accepting and "live and let live." I doubt you will be stared at as most people just don't really care about your ethnicity here. It's very diverse where I live and everyone coexists peacefully. They might not bring out the welcome wagon when you come, but you will more than likely have a door open for you. I always open the door for people and it never occurred to me that that's a rare thing in some places.

As far as restaurants go, there are too many good ones to name. For downtown restaurants, I like Zombie Burger, Fongs Pizza (Asian fusion), and Hessen Haus (German). For fast food, I like Alohana Hawaiian Grill (for a plate lunch), Bandit Burrito, Abelardos (Mexican), Culvers, Taco Johns, and Tasty Tacos (great place for tacos). For fast casual chains, I like Noodles and Company, Jason's Deli, and Hu Hot Mongolian Grill. My favorite chain restaurant is Cheesecake Factory. For buffets I like Pizza Ranch (which has amazing fried chicken) and the breakfast buffet at the Iowa Machine Shed (a farmer's restaurant). Jethro's is my favorite local chain, and Cactus Bob's is my favorite BBQ joint. My favorite Asian restaurant is Cool Basil (Thai), and my favorite restaurant in Ames is Hickory Park. If you're looking for something more upscale, I think 801 Chophouse, Flemings, Splash, and Baru 66 are the way to go.

As far as parks go, I like Gray's Lake. I haven't been to too many parks except for Principal Park where the Iowa Cubs play baseball. There is a really cool trail network in the Des Moines area that goes for miles that's ideal for cyclists. And yes, OP, you should go to the Iowa State Fair. Once was enough for me, but everyone should do it once. Go to Adventureland (amusement park) at least once too.

I've never been a victim of crime in my 31 years of living here, and it really is an afterthought for me. It's nice to be able to let your guard down. It seems like you have to constantly be alert in many cities, and I haven't found that to be the case here. I dropped my cell phone in the street over by Merle Hay Mall once and thought it would be lost forever, but I had it back to me by the end of the day. The person who found it took it to the nearest AT&T store and they called my relative. Only in Iowa.

The economy appears to be better here than in places like Las Vegas and Hawaii since Des Moines is recognized as a city with decent salaries in relation to cost of living. It seems like people who might struggle in other cities can do well here. I'm able to rent an apartment here and I'm dirt poor. There's no way I could afford an apartment in Hawaii today.

It's not all great here. The winters are brutal and the summers can be unbearable (though this one has been mild). And when I was younger, I found it boring, but I appreciate it for what it is as I've gotten older. If the insurance industry ever crumbles, I wouldn't want to be here. Also, there has already been steady growth and potential for massive growth, which could bring substantial changes, i.e. higher crime, higher unemployment, and higher cost of living, to the area.

Last edited by maniac77; 07-30-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 05:29 PM

I have to add something about "The East Side" . . .

I can see why natives might consider that area sub-standard, but in truth, there are only some selected blocks, especially near the fairgrounds, that wouldn't be good for a family. North of the fairgrounds is Capitol Heights, which is fine, and houses are more affordable than in Clive and the west area. Many subdivisions have the cute little bungalows that date back to WW II. Add to that, Altoona is revitalizing with Facebook and the new mall (Prairie Meadows).

I know some natives don't think much of Altoona but I think it's a community on the move and was my second choice if I hadn't gotten the house that I did.

I don't have children and I work in Ankeny (and hopefully Altoona soon, too!) so keep that in mind.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Bring your rose-colored glasses, lol.

As for the schools, Des Moines is small enough that the suburban schools can still quickly be accessed (so they count when they're not even in the same district), which isn't true in bigger cities. Chicago for example, is seen as one of the worst cities for public schools, but Naperville consistently has among the best public schools in the country, it's also close to an hour away.

Des Moines schools (meaning not West Des Moines, Ankeny, Waukee, Johnston, Urbandale, etc) are currently close to 70% free/reduced lunch, meaning the majority of families (whether one or two parent households) in the Des Moines school district are lower-income.

As poverty rises, 35 Des Moines schools give free meals to all

The suburban schools are going to be better, but also not very diverse (which may or may not be of importance to you). Suburban schools in almost every at least middle-class suburb in the country are generally considered "good" compared to the inner-city, Des Moines is not unique in this regard.

As for the income relative to cost of living, the cost of living isn't as low as it's made out to be. If you start looking for houses, you'll see that. High state income taxes as well.

There's definitely a sense of community, but "community" is to the midwest what religion is to the south. It can be just a bit overbearing sometimes. Strong rivalry with Omaha, but very similar to Omaha at the same time.

Overall, it's very average, not ghetto, not ritzy, not too diverse, but still having some diversity, not scenic, but not barren, just a very, very average type place.

Both Des Moines and Omaha are so average they're used by marketers to test new concepts to "middle America".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines