Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I like Detroit. It reminds me a lot of where I'm from (Dayton, Ohio), and I mean that in the best way possible. Detroit is a city with a lot of culture, a lot of history, and a lot of potential. I think it's something I want to be a part of if possible.

I'm currently in college pursuing a degree in industrial engineering, so I will have a good background in process engineering, operations management, and supply chain management. I will be done in about another two years. I've always been a big fan of the auto industry, and it's an industry where I want to pursue my career.

My question is - are the big 3 hiring college grads like me? If so, will they still be hiring in 2015? And what are the requirements to get on board at a Big 3 automaker or a Tier 1 supplier like JCI or Tenneco?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Yes - The Big Three and Tier one hire hundreds of college interns every year. It's one of their largest pools of new talent - as the intern makes a decision to accept a full time position knowing the company and the company knows the intern.

Go to each of the Big Three websites and look at the "Careers" section - do the same for any Tier 1 supplier. You can search by intern or by college job fairs. They hit up most colleges in Michigan but might not make it to Dayton for recruiting. Does that mean they think less of Dayton students? Absolutely not - they just have limited recruiting resources - so try to spend that money as judiciously as possible. Assuming you have above a 3.3 GPA - you should be good to go for most shops.

Best of luck. For instance here's the GM link. You'll see hundreds of openings for interns.
Intern

Last edited by belleislerunner; 02-27-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: