Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,794 times

Advertisements

So, I just graduated and am working as an engineer in the Detroit area. Most of my coworkers live in the suburbs (north of the city), and my work is not in Detroit, so it would be more convenient to live in the 'burbs, but I dig Detroit. Downtown is awesome. And the history/soul of the city is very alluring.

Anyway, I'm from Kansas. I just finished school in Virginia and have been living in Pontiac for a bit. I'd like to move to Detroit. I'm drawn by the rich automotive history (I'm a car nut) and the awesome downtown scene, but I don't want to be naive and put myself in harm's way if I can avoid it.

Anyway, I found a place in West Village that seems okay. I hear the east side is rough, but I've heard the villages are alright. Any thoughts on West Village from a safety standpoint would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Nice architecture. Great homes. High taxes and outrageous car insurance and no services. Other than thatn a great place to live. REally want to be in Detroit? Why not a condo at the Harbor ? THe PArk Shelton? Or even housing at University District or Sherwood? It does not reduce the high tax base or outrageous car insurance, but location wise, access to the city proper is easier as well as getting to the burbs for shopping.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 42,006 times
One of the Grosse Pointe's might be a better choice.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,089 times
You might want to check out the commutes to/from various areas (from your workplace) during rush hour and decide how you feel. Keep in mind that winter weather will effect your commute, too.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj View Post
So, I just graduated and am working as an engineer in the Detroit area. Most of my coworkers live in the suburbs (north of the city), and my work is not in Detroit, so it would be more convenient to live in the 'burbs, but I dig Detroit. Downtown is awesome. And the history/soul of the city is very alluring.

Anyway, I'm from Kansas. I just finished school in Virginia and have been living in Pontiac for a bit. I'd like to move to Detroit. I'm drawn by the rich automotive history (I'm a car nut) and the awesome downtown scene, but I don't want to be naive and put myself in harm's way if I can avoid it.

Anyway, I found a place in West Village that seems okay. I hear the east side is rough, but I've heard the villages are alright. Any thoughts on West Village from a safety standpoint would be appreciated. Thank you.
I am not super familiar with it. (Well, I am from a driving through standpoint. Not from a, personally, living standpoint, though I used to have several friends who lived there back in the day.) I wasn't going to answer but since you're not getting much of a response:

It's probably the best place to buy right outside of downtown/Midtown, and the architecture is stunning. I think in terms of how well kept the places are, it really varies street to street. If you're looking at a five bedroom for $150,000 you'll want to read between the lines.

If the downtown continues to improve it could probably be a very good long term investment. The problem is, it is pretty fugly within just a few blocks, including right there when you turn out onto Jefferson. But it sounds like you are familiar with the city and don't mind that. I would not expect gentrification to take hold there, in a larger sense, anytime soon.

I would probably talk to a few neighbors before buying anything and get the lay of the land.

I would also, if I bought there, invest in guard dogs, a very good security system and personal firearms.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,794 times
I'm thinking about moving into an apartment in this area. I looked at the apartment and was blown away by its cleanliness/charm. I'm just making sure that this area isn't TOO BAD. Sounds like it's okay.

Can I ride my bike to Belle Isle, or should I avoid biking/walking around here. I'm not trying to sound paranoid, I just value advice from locals- people whose experience can guide me and help me stay safe/comfortable.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepxj View Post
I'm thinking about moving into an apartment in this area. I looked at the apartment and was blown away by its cleanliness/charm. I'm just making sure that this area isn't TOO BAD. Sounds like it's okay.

Can I ride my bike to Belle Isle, or should I avoid biking/walking around here. I'm not trying to sound paranoid, I just value advice from locals- people whose experience can guide me and help me stay safe/comfortable.
Well, in my experience in urban areas, the chances of being a victim of a crime on a bike are virtually zero. I would imagine the walk down Jefferson to the Belle Isle bridge would be relatively safe.

The island itself is reportedly largely safe. It's pretty beat up. I wouldn't really want to be walking alone there after dark, though last time I was there I saw quite a few people doing it. (Sunset-ish. Quite a few joggers... though not enough to really feel like you could lower your guard, IMO.)

All of this is in the context, though, of talking about a city that is in many regards "unsafe." Crimes of opportunity do and will happen.

Except for the downtown area you just can't point to any given area, really, and be like "you'll be fine, don't worry about it," IMO, particularly if you are young and talking about stumbling home from the bar at various hours, etc.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

Except for the downtown area you just can't point to any given area, really, and be like "you'll be fine, don't worry about it," IMO, particularly if you are young and talking about stumbling home from the bar at various hours, etc.
Right, that is very true about every area outside of the small Downtown square. And even then, it's not full proof. Maybe in 20 years, that'll be a different story. However, it's not the case today that you can safely stumble home drunk late at night in Detroit like you can in other cities like Seattle, Portland, or Denver. Not sure if the OP had those intentions, but it's something to consider.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Nice architecture. Great homes. High taxes and outrageous car insurance and no services. Other than thatn a great place to live. REally want to be in Detroit? Why not a condo at the Harbor ? THe PArk Shelton? Or even housing at University District or Sherwood? It does not reduce the high tax base or outrageous car insurance, but location wise, access to the city proper is easier as well as getting to the burbs for shopping.
^^^This post pretty much sums up which I think.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 AM

429 posts, read 971,826 times
I live in Detroit near west village(sorta) I live in The lofts of Rivertown. I am almost directly across the street form belle isle. I walk there all the time with my dog and have never felt unsafe at all. There are also several really great walking/bike riding path/trails in detroit on the east side that are great. The biggest thing you have to worry about while riding you bike is not getting hit by a car lol. I like where i live alot. I enjoy living in detroit. I havre been down here for 3.5 yrs now. The only bad thing that has happene to me was my car got broken into in the parking lot of CVS while i was inside the store. But that was my fault cause i left a bunch of bags on the front seat. As long as you use your head and dont take unnessecary risks you should be fine. I feel very safe in my building and where i live in detroit however if i were in a house and didnt have a gated guarded parking lot i would prob feel a little uneasy but not scared. West village is ok-isk deff not bad and i have noticed some 20/30-something people move in that area lately. Which street are you looking at cause honestly that makes a difference in that area. West village borders english village. English village is amazing and has some of the most beutiful wel kept homes in detroit. Im not sure what taxes the previous posters are referring to but sales tax is 6% in al of michigan including detroit. My property taxes are extremly low. So maybe they are talking about income tax for working in the city of detroit i have no clue what the income taxes are for working in the city but i believe u said u would be working in troy so it wouldnt matter. If you want to send me the addy of where you want to rent i can go take so pics of the neghbors and scope out the street/area for you. I live less than a mile from west village. If your open to the idea of loft/condo living i know there are a few for rent in my building right now. The only complaint i have is the walls are thin someunits worse than others and if you have neighbors who like to fight alot or party alot it can get a little annoyinh other than that i dont have any complaints. The average age in the building i would say is late 20's early 30's there are some families with kids also and some people a bit older too. Its a fairly equal mix of ethnicty. If you have any specific questions or if there is anything i can do to help let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit