Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I was curious as to whether tornadoes happen much in the Detroit metro area, near Oakland county. I looked at homefacts and saw that Detroit was classified as High Risk for tornadoes but neighboring Oakland county was a low risk area. I didn't realize that such a small distance could make a big difference.

Anyway, just curious. I know this isn't tornado alley but also know that SE Michigan can get them moreso than Western Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
The way that website calculates tornado risk is by the potential for personal and property damage; ie, a more urbanized area will have a higher risk than would a rural area because of the greater number of people and property.

As far as the actual number of tornadoes that occur, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Most large cities don't get too many tornadoes because of the urban heat island effect which mixes up the air and makes it harder for small tornadoes to form. Maybe once every year there's a possible tornado within the urbanized area of Metro Detroit but more often than not, they happen in rural areas outside of the metro (near Ann Arbor, for example, tends to get hit more often than Detroit because of the more rural surroundings).

Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
No.

And the few tornadoes that do happen are almost always on the weaker end of the scale.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Tornadoes in Southeast Michigan are relatively rare, and when they do they are generally lower-strength that what occurs in the tornado alley in the plains states. We also generally do not get the long-track tornadoes found in other parts of the Midwest.

The Great Lakes help to weaken strong thunderstorm lines, so they loose a lot of intensity as they move across the cooler waters of Lake Michigan. As said above, the heat island effect within urban areas generally prevents formation but it is possible.

Funnel cloud spotting are more frequent. More damage usually occurs from straight-line winds and/or microbursts, which people often thing may be a tornado due to the tree/structural damage.

Areas most prone to tornadoes seem to be Lenawee, Monroe, Washinaw counties and rural Oakland. Tornadoes in Wayne & Macomb county are more rare.
Michigan Tornadoes

Some of the more recent significant ones that I can remember:

2012: Dexter - torn through part of Hudson Mills Metropark and a newer housing development.
1997: a pretty big outbreak of storms in Southeastern Michigan. Several touchdowns in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb including one that did hit part of the City of Detroit

Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The way that website calculates tornado risk is by the potential for personal and property damage; ie, a more urbanized area will have a higher risk than would a rural area because of the greater number of people and property.
Not sure about that. Chicago is rated as very low risk whereas the surrounding areas are rated higher risk.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Hmm. I checked quite a few cities, even those in Tornado Alley, and most came up low risk. I'm not sure what they're measuring then. It doesn't seem terrible accurate. Either way, the difference between two counties isn't all that great.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:07 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
This doesn't answer your question, but the risk for tornadoes in Michigan is higher in places where incoming storms do not have to cross Lake Michigan. This generally puts the southern and eastern portions of the state at a higher risk. If a storm system is coming from the southwest, it can actually hit the Lansing area, for example, without ever crossing Lake Michigan (not the case if it comes directly from the west). If you go west 100 miles, the odds of that happening are much lower. But it is very easy for a weather system to reach SE Michigan without being affected by the lake.

Of course, this doesn't account for ALL potential tornadoes. They can happen anywhere. But it does affect the odds in each part of the state.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Eddie, where do you get your information? I want to see!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Eddie, where do you get your information? I want to see!
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-30-2014 at 01:50 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 04:02 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Thanks. Moving into the area in a month hopefully.

Last edited by Yac; 05-30-2014 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit