Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,822 times

Advertisements

Hello all. New to the forums. My wife and I live in Rochester. The traffic, congestion, and number of Starbucks and Tim Hortons are driving us to the point of moving. It really is a terrible place to live if you want anything remotely resembling quiet living. Anyway, is there any place left in southeastern MI that is even close to rural? I'm talking east of US 23, west of 75, south of 59, north of 696. Anything???? I just want a town where it doesn't take 20 minutes to travel 3 miles. A place where houses aren't stacked on top of each other. Start listing areas if they exist. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
Commerce Township

Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawk37 View Post
Hello all. New to the forums. My wife and I live in Rochester. The traffic, congestion, and number of Starbucks and Tim Hortons are driving us to the point of moving. It really is a terrible place to live if you want anything remotely resembling quiet living. Anyway, is there any place left in southeastern MI that is even close to rural? I'm talking east of US 23, west of 75, south of 59, north of 696. Anything???? I just want a town where it doesn't take 20 minutes to travel 3 miles. A place where houses aren't stacked on top of each other. Start listing areas if they exist. Thanks!
The west suburbs are less congested (except maybe Canton). Plymouth / Northville, etc. are good choices. But shhh. Can't tell too many of you or this area will also become too congested.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:52 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The west suburbs are less congested (except maybe Canton). Plymouth / Northville, etc. are good choices. But shhh. Can't tell too many of you or this area will also become too congested.
Plymouth/Northville?? Have you seen the development along Haggerty? Northville is just about as developed as Rochester.

Green Oak Township - just west of S Lyon - is one place I would look. The problem there is you're going to have to fight the 96 corridor commuting anywhere.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
The OP limited the search area to a small section of Oakland County, so places like Canton, Plymouth, Northville are all out.

The only places that approach quiet living are going to be parts of Commerce Township and parts of Milford Township. But then, I don't know how the traffic is in those two areas.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Milford, Brighton, Green Oak Twp, Genoa Twp, Ore Creek, Howell and environs, Fowlerville and environs. They are all just a hair west of 23 but otherwise match your boundary lines, and all still firmly in SEMI.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
yeah, the OP wants to live in high end areas of Oakland County. They're cutting themselves off from the more obvious answers, which are all in Livingston and Washtenaw Counties. Western Wayne County is just as densely populated as the areas of Oakland County the OP lives in presently, other than the far, far western stretches of Plymouth where you might as well be in Washtenaw anyway... but those are less desirable than either downtown Plymouth or across the county line.

There is no magic spot with a semi-rustic character AND an ideal commuting location. You're looking at the far north, the far west and the far south if you want that kind of life style. The Commerce/Milford area is your best bet but you have to pay for it.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Plymouth/Northville?? Have you seen the development along Haggerty? Northville is just about as developed as Rochester.

Green Oak Township - just west of S Lyon - is one place I would look. The problem there is you're going to have to fight the 96 corridor commuting anywhere.
Avoid Haggerty. The rest of the area isn't as badly congested.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I'm a coffee addict and I'm not some hipster that can only patronize mom & pop stores, so I think Starbucks & Tim Hortons locations are a plus lol.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:43 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
In another thread, you mention that you work downtown. Everywhere west of Milford is pretty rural, but the commute to downtown Detroit is worse. Much worse. Less roads mean more congestion and that area is quickly be developed with new homes.

If you want rural areas, it'd actually be easier to look directly north of Rochester Hills. For easier commutes to downtown, you could try western Wayne County as most traffic flows north-south on 275 going to 696/96. Going east-west on 96 is a lot more tolerable.

Or you could go for the Grosse Pointe area although it's not rural. It is mostly quiet imo and the commute is a lot easier than your current one.

Either way, you should expect a bad commute if you're trying to live in rural area and commute downtown as you're crossing a 4 and a half million resident metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit