Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 02:33 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times

Advertisements

Let's say that I'd be starting work at 8:00 a.m., at 8:30 a.m., or at 9:00 a.m., at Ford headquarters, what time should I head out the door from Grosse Pointe Farms? I'd be going west on I-94 as far as the Michigan Avenue exit, just before Dearborn itself (Exit 210A).

Please do forgive this "how long is a piece of string" kind of inquiry; I've driven that stretch of I-94 just a handful of times over the years and I haven't done it in a very long time. I do remember that it can be a bit congested and I gather the state plans to undertake significant roadworks along that route over the next several years. Thank you very much in advance for any insight you're in a position to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
It is nearly impossible to give a definitive answer.
For instance Google maps would say 28-55 minutes "typically" in all those time frames.
I would say you need to find a nice little breakfast place near Ford HQ and leave with breakfast near work in mind. Maybe there is a breakfast place in the building. That way your at work on time by giving yourself a significant buffer.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Pure door-to-door uncongested drive time is going to be right about 30 minutes.

Add in 10-15 minutes for traffic as the closer to 8am you get the more it will slow down going through the downtown area from a bit east of I-75 until west of I-96.

Add in 10-15 minutes to get from your parking lot to your desk/office. Depending on which building you are in and which area you are able to park, it can easily be several minutes.

Safe bet would be 60 minutes all-in total time from when you walk out your door until you arrive at your desk. Some days this could be 45 minutes and once you do it you will learn the timing. Bad weather days could be 60-90 minutes.

You will learn the timing once you get it down and know the quirks of when if you leave 10 minutes earlier it can shave 15 minutes off your trip.

Also, the timing will depend if your job has a hard and fast rule on "butt-in-seat" time (e.g, 8am on the nose) versus a bit of flexibility if say you stroll anytime between 8am-8:30am. Or, if your group is one that likes to schedule early meetings.

People tend to underestimate their commute times and only consider the time from when they are driving away from their house to the time they pull into their parking space at work. They forget all the little things that add several minutes to the total trip time.

Honestly, that is not a bad commute. It will always be a bit slow through the downtown area but its a much better commute that a lot of the people who work in Dearborn who drive from west of I-275 or parts of Oakland County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit