Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,790 times

Advertisements

I am a 26-year-old single female and looking for places to rent near Warren.

What I'm looking for: safety, convenience and city vibrancy

1. I really like a (busy) downtown in which I can walk and shop. I don't have to live IN downtown, just close to it. I've lived in Vancouver, Singapore, Taipei and Amsterdam where it's pretty busy and walkable/bikable. I will have a car though.

2. I'm hoping for no more than 30 minutes driving to Warren or the "happening" places. Nightlife and social life is somewhat important. I do go out but only for specific events...probably 5-10 times a month.

3. Nice-to-have: Close to East Asian communities where I can find decent sushi and Chinese food.

I guess I'm picky but if anything comes close to what I have in mind, it would make starting a new job here much easier. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 PM

514 posts, read 764,312 times
Royal Oak. It is young, vibrant, and close to Warren. In addition, it has the most diverse and cohesive downtown community in all of Southeastern Michigan.

Most of the Asian families live in Ann Arbor and Canton and Novi, not anywhere close to Warren.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:09 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,914 times
Royal Oak is just about the most vibrant downtown in Metro Detroit, but compared to your previous locations it's still pretty suburban. Downtown Detroit is busy and happening and getting better by the year, but again relative to those other places, you'll probably find it pretty lacking.

Novi and adjacent areas are typically where the largest number of East Asians live, but again that area is pretty suburban but an easy drive to Downtown Detroit, Royal Oak, or Ann Arbor (all typically the happening places). Birmingham is also a somewhat happening place, but usually for more snobbish people. Not that everyone there is snobbish, but it's a very affluent area and you are more likely to find snobbish people there. But again, the downtown area is pretty small and it's very suburban all around it.

I don't think you'll quite be able to get out 10 times a month unless you find a club or bar you really like, though there's always music groups coming through the area of all varieties and summertime is typically the height of events for the whole area. You won't get bored out of your mind (maybe) but at the very least it's gonna be a adjustment to a slower pace of life and definitely more car-oriented. At the very least, there's a lot of shopping you can do.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,530 times
Rochester, Rochester Hills maybe investigate?

Old 12-20-2014, 01:08 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
As for as shopping goes, we are still working on that. Your not going to find Manhattan urbanity with street level shopping with every brand you can think nor will you find a downtown that has 100,000 ppsm. Detroit's downtown is just now starting to become vibrant within the past few years, before that no one really lived downtown as it was basically a commercial district only. Outside of Detroit, Royal Oak and Birmingham are the next best thing closest to Warren. But they are suburban, they may not be as urban or as big as the city but it has more than enough to do plus it is a quick drive to the city, another upside is you will be closer to better shopping and have cheaper car insurance. It all depends on what you prefer, if you can I would suggest you get a short lease just to see if you like or want to move to another part of the area. After a few months you will have your immediate area figured out for the most part and know how far you are from things you want to do/see.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I did some research and found Royal Oak quite close to my criteria as well.

Regarding a short lease, I actually want to rent something from month-to-month. Would you say it's possible with some apartments? From craigslist I've seen 12 to 24 months lease. Problem is that I don't know how long I will be on this assignment. 6 months max perhaps. Any tips to get a car / apartment rental are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,926 times
You can search on craigslist using the quotes "month to month" and it will only pull up those units. They're out there - I've found them. Also "temporary or short term" housing on CL might fit that bill - as that tends to be less than a year. Good luck and congrats on the job!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks! I will try that out.

Anyone also have recommended auto dealers so I could lease or buy a car for short-term? I'm actually in the midst of another interview outside of this area so I'm really not sure what to do.

My initial plan is to get car rentals bi-weekly. Not sure if there's a better option.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,165 times
I suggest you also talk to the company you are interviewing with if they extend the offer.
If its the company I think that it is in Warren, they may have people that can help you out with short term leases and cars.

Royal Oak makes sense, and also maybe apartment rentals in Troy. Troy also has a sizable Asian population (tends to be mostly familes more so than singles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit