Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

93 posts, read 337,599 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed in March 2010. My initial ac1 was 7.2, dropped to 6.1, most recently was 6.3.

I told her that when my sugar gets to about 80 I start getting nauseated and feel better once I eat. She said it was probably because I am used to such high blood sugar. Any comments from the more experienced?

Also, I can go to bed with a sugar of 120-130 and wake up with a sugar of 140-160. I eat breakfast, take 500 mg metformin xr and within a couple of hours it's back down to 100-120. I have a very stressful am routine usually starting with a fight to get my daughter dressed and ready for school. I have done this for years. I truly think my body is just preparing me for "flight or fight". Again, she thinks this has no bearing and increased my metformin eve dose to 1000 mg. It's only been a couple of days, but I've seen no difference except I wake up with a headache. Comments?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,709,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie123 View Post
I was diagnosed in March 2010. My initial ac1 was 7.2, dropped to 6.1, most recently was 6.3.

I told her that when my sugar gets to about 80 I start getting nauseated and feel better once I eat. She said it was probably because I am used to such high blood sugar. Any comments from the more experienced?

Also, I can go to bed with a sugar of 120-130 and wake up with a sugar of 140-160. I eat breakfast, take 500 mg metformin xr and within a couple of hours it's back down to 100-120. I have a very stressful am routine usually starting with a fight to get my daughter dressed and ready for school. I have done this for years. I truly think my body is just preparing me for "flight or fight". Again, she thinks this has no bearing and increased my metformin eve dose to 1000 mg. It's only been a couple of days, but I've seen no difference except I wake up with a headache. Comments?

Thanks for your help.
Get a second opinion ASAP! I am affected in the exact same manner as you which my doctor tells me is normal for me since it never varies at all. If I get down to below 120 I start to loose vision and break out in a cold sweat. I MUST eat when I first get a warning from my body or I will slip into a coma.

So this is deadly serious for me and maybe you.

All I can say is your body is your body and it will not fit into a picture perfect readings all the time. Doctors like up to fit the "norm" but sometime our "Norm" isn't on the charts.

Get a second opinion and tell the new doctor what you posted here.

Tip: Keep peanut butter crackers in your purse at all times and have them close at hand around your home/property so they will be a few steps away at any given moment.

Plain PB can be a life saver so eat it by the spoon full if you get in real trouble!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 PM

746 posts, read 3,502,797 times
First, I think your A1c is excellent.

As to feeling low blood sugar effects at 80 (instead of 10-20 points lower) it is not unusual, and part of it might be that for YOU that is a low reading that your body is not used to. So keep some snacks handy. Metformin can have a more dramatic effect one day than the next. Do you monitor your carbs so that they are relatively constant meal to meal?

As to going to sleep with one blood sugar and waking up with a higher one, this is sometimes called the Sunrise Syndrome. Lots of us experience it, some once in a while, others all the time.

It is simply your liver releasing some glucogen into the bloodstream because it thinks you need it. It can happen as you wake up and get ready to the day, perhaps before the fasting test is done. I don't take mine until my tea is brewing, but before I eat or drink anything. There is some rushing around before I get to it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,908,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
As to going to sleep with one blood sugar and waking up with a higher one, this is sometimes called the Sunrise Syndrome. Lots of us experience it, some once in a while, others all the time.

This is the explanation my endocrinologist gave me.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,124,585 times
I am the same way. My problem is if my blood sugar gets down to around 100, it will dorp quick. I've had it hit 100 and I break out in a sweat, get shaky and check it 30 minutes later and it's 60 and still dropping. I've had it get down to 37 before and let me tell you, that is not fun. I have went to the hospital in a coma and during that 7 days, in a coma, I was resusitated 3 times.

It's no joke, listen to your body, but only eat a small snack to carry you over to meal time. Make sure you eat a meal at the exact same time each day. Eventually your body will know that you will eat soon so it will maintain. I keep peanut cracker packs and if I'm feeling bad from low blood glucos, I break open a pack and only eat 1 or 2 and save the rest for later. Just enough to carry me over. I usually dip pretty bad about 10:30.

Has anyone explained peaks and valleys yet? Diabetic meds will drop your BG at a pretty good rate and you will hit a valley. Your BG will start coming up slowly until it's time to take meds again. The problem iis, the valley will sometimes drop you before meal time (meal will carry you over to next med), and that valley will be lower then normal range. So it's a fine line giving you meds that get you close to the low range, but still strong enough to make sure you are not too high before next med time. If this happens, you'll probably get kicks up to taking meds 3 times a day.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,373,880 times
When i first began treating my diabetes I would get the shakes at 120 a year and a half later It's around 100. In the morning my blood is around 140, after I get going it drops to 110. I noticed the OP said she takes her Med in the morning I was told to take mine with dinner to lower the blood sugar at night.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,427,585 times
Your body adapts to different normals. Back in my very overweight and diabetic days, I would feel strange at anything below 90. Now after my GB surgery and as a normal weight person off all diabetes meds, I stay around 60-70 and that feels very normal. The first time I saw a 57 I thought it was a bad reading because I should've been on the floor, but I tested again and it was 59. I only test every couple weeks just to confirm I'm not somehow back up and my latest A1C was 5.7 and probably lower later this month when I do another one.
However, I'm pretty sure it would be better to do whatever it takes to get your weight down so your normal will be a more healthy normal. I'm fairly certain that the higher normal may make your brain feel fine, but your pancreas is still being destroyed.. This is only for the type 2's out there. I feel very sorry for the type 1's that just had bad genetic luck when they were born.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,485 times
Quote:
wake up with a sugar of 140-160
I used to get up with a range of 200-250! i really suffered alot!
now I am having levemir b4 sleeping and when getting up, things are perfect so I don't need to make a fight "actually, I used to get up not in my mood when sugar level is high!

and about being nervous and so is sth normal, do not worry

Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,636,985 times
Everyone is different. First off, I would find an endo who LISTENS to you and your symptoms and is willing to work with them. My son's first endo thought my son was lying about his low blood sugars. He wouldn't even feel them coming, no symptoms or warnings. He would just get wobbley legged, turn white and start sweating right before falling to the ground. His dr. scolded him for not being more observant. Got a new dr. and he explained that my son was having "ghost low blood sugars" (son was 10 at the time lol). He said it's very dangerous but a real thing. Now that my son is 21 and on his own he is able to tell when he is getting a low but they still come on very fast. Doctors have no idea what is going on with your body and part of their job is to listen.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,974,101 times
In many, if not most, diabetic people the first blood glucose readings in the morning before breakfast is the highest ...

Call it "Sunrise Syndrome," "Dawn Effect," "Liver Dump," or "Leaky Liver" the effect is the same. In the few hours before we wake the liver is raising our blood sugars. It is very common and expected. You can read more about is at Diabetes Forums - What's New
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes