Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times

Advertisements

Diabetes is an auto-immune disease. It is a misfunction of the body. Not every obese person will get T2 diabetes. Some thin folks have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

Diet and exercise can help control T2 diabetes, but it can't cure it (nothing can).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Absolutely! If I really stick to my diet and work out after work and on weekends, I will lose weight,have my Glucose at or below normal levels. But the motivation to do this for more than a few weeks maybe a few months is hard. I fall back on it from time to time. My job with unusual/long hours is a main factor.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:01 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
My friend is morbidly obese, having gained 100+ pounds since high school. She has full blown T2 diabetes now, and her changed appearance would shock anyone who hasn't seen her in a long time.

Before ordering in a restaurant with me, she tested her blood sugar and injected insulin. Apparently, she has advanced from taking pills. She usually orders a meal heavy in fat, carbs and salt. Then she orders dessert, which is usually cheesecake, chocolate cake, etc. Sometimes more than one dessert. Last time, she ended up with three because I refused to eat the dessert she ordered for me.

I try not to interfere because she's an adult and has a doctor, husband, mother, etc. I'm just the friend and don't want to be the lid calling the kettle black. I do get annoyed because she orders dessert for me, after I tell her more than once I don't want it and I need to cut back. Eating out with her is like going into a drug den with your addict friend.

How would you deal with a sick person like this? I already know I don't want to eat out with her anymore. She scares me straight.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My friend is morbidly obese, having gained 100+ pounds since high school. She has full blown T2 diabetes now, and her changed appearance would shock anyone who hasn't seen her in a long time.

Before ordering in a restaurant with me, she tested her blood sugar and injected insulin. Apparently, she has advanced from taking pills. She usually orders a meal heavy in fat, carbs and salt. Then she orders dessert, which is usually cheesecake, chocolate cake, etc. Sometimes more than one dessert. Last time, she ended up with three because I refused to eat the dessert she ordered for me.

I try not to interfere because she's an adult and has a doctor, husband, mother, etc. I'm just the friend and don't want to be the lid calling the kettle black. I do get annoyed because she orders dessert for me, after I tell her more than once I don't want it and I need to cut back. Eating out with her is like going into a drug den with your addict friend.

How would you deal with a sick person like this? I already know I don't want to eat out with her anymore. She scares me straight.
There is nothing you can for your friend -- she has to do it for herself. And she is guilting you into being bad, too.... if you can't stop yourself, you can tell her you can't do sinner out with her anymore.

Although sometimes the scared straight thing helps. Neighbor saw me a few weeks back and told me I was looking thinner. I told him I didn't have a choice -- I have Type 2 diabetes. He then proceeded to tell me the horror story of his cousin who wouldn't change his diet, wouldn't take his meds, lost his foot, lost his other leg, partied hard and died from complications at TWENTY NINE... TWENTY NINE!!!!

So -- in weak moments, I look at my feet, which I take great care of and have my nails painted raspberry pink. A piece of cake, a doughnut, chocolate... or my pretty toes.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:07 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

I don't know much about diabetes but I feel sorry for your friend and for you too.

No, you shouldn't go out to eat with her. Because she is out of control doesn't mean that she should drag you down with her. I can't believe that she would order dessert for you when you don't even want it. That's cruel and uncaring on her part, like sabotaging someone's diet.

She sounds like she has an addiction when it comes to food. Her behavior sounds bizzare. I don't know if you can talk to her husband or her mother about it or whether they would just get mad at you. Probably if you approached it by telling them that you are afraid for her and concerned you would stand a better chance of being heard. People are funny. She could be lying to them about what she eats and about taking insulin before her meals. Some people who smoke lie to their doctors about their smoking, probably her case is similar. It won't do any good for you to talk to her, I don't think. She is in denial and doesn't want to deal with the issues at hand.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:48 AM

194 posts, read 252,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Diabetes is an auto-immune disease. It is a misfunction of the body. Not every obese person will get T2 diabetes. Some thin folks have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

Diet and exercise can help control T2 diabetes, but it can't cure it (nothing can).
Type 2 or adult-onset diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) in the context of insulin resistance and relative lack of insulin. This is in contrast to type 1, in which there is an absolute lack of insulin due to breakdown of islet cells in the pancreas. Type 2 diabetes is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary changes. If blood sugar levels are not adequately lowered by these measures, medications such as metformin or insulin may be needed. In those on insulin, there is typically the requirement to routinely check blood sugar levels. Rates of type 2 diabetes have increased markedly since 1960 in parallel with obesity. As of 2010 there were approximately 285 million people diagnosed with the disease compared to around 30 million in 1985

The development of type 2 diabetes is caused by a combination of lifestyle and genetic factors. While some of these factors are under personal control, such as diet and obesity, other factors are not, such as increasing age, female gender, and genetics. A lack of sleep has been linked to type 2 diabetes. This is believed to act through its effect on metabolism. The nutritional status of a mother during fetal development may also play a role, with one proposed mechanism being that of altered DNA methylation

A number of lifestyle factors are known to be important to the development of type 2 diabetes, including obesity and overweight (defined by a body mass index of greater than 25), lack of physical activity, poor diet, stress, and urbanization. Excess body fat is associated with 30% of cases in those of Chinese and Japanese descent, 60-80% of cases in those of European and African descent, and 100% of cases in Pima Indians and Pacific Islanders. Those who are not obese often have a high waist–hip ratio. Dietary factors also influence the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks in excess is associated with an increased risk. The type of fats in the diet are also important, with saturated fats and trans fatty acids increasing the risk, and polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat decreasing the risk. Eating lots of white rice appears to also play a role in increasing risk. A lack of exercise is believed to cause 7% of cases. Persistent organic pollutants may also play a role.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:49 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7075-11-39.pdf

The effect of the macrobiotic Ma-Pi 2 diet vs. the recommended diet in the management of type 2 diabetes

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pd...2891-13-99.pdf

Effects of 7 days on an ad libitum low-fat vegan diet: the McDougall Program cohort

If nothing else, these diet models seem like excellent short term interventions

Old 10-26-2014, 01:52 AM

This in combo with major lifestyle changes could help Substituting Vitamins and Supplements for Pharmaceuticals in Type 2 Diabetes

Metformin can cause a B9 (Folate) and/or a B12 deficiency

Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, you shouldn't go out to eat with her. Because she is out of control doesn't mean that she should drag you down with her. I can't believe that she would order dessert for you when you don't even want it. That's cruel and uncaring on her part, like sabotaging someone's diet.
She ordered dessert after I told her twice I don't want it, and even told the server not to bring me dessert in case she ordered it for me. They needed two servers to bring out all the desserts she ordered.
Quote:
I don't know if you can talk to her husband or her mother about it or whether they would just get mad at you.
Her husband is the type to go along and not stand up to her at all. She doesn't work and he takes care of everything, including bills, etc., so she has lots of time to tend to her illness. She has pain leg ulcers that won't heal due to high blood sugar, and I told her that a change in diet and weight loss would help. I don't think she will do what has to be done, she's so far gone.

I mostly gave up on this bizarre behavior because I have a much busier life with loads of burdens and responsibilities. I concentrate on my own problems and try not to meddle.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 14,640 times
sargentodiaz,

To date, no one has reversed their type 2 diabetes with medication. However, numerous folks have reversed their t2dm with lifestyle changes, both through nutrition & exercise. The cases vary from person to person, but most cases of t2dm are reversible. The numbers of diabetics are staggering as medical doctors attempt to treat this condition with medications alone. This treatment is akin to trying to bail water from a sinking ship without plugging the hole first. And the nutrition guidelines by the ADA & USDA will not address a diabetics needs. The hardest challenge is reversing behavioral patterns that have been in place for 10+ years to get results.

All the best,
Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes