Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

As an American living abroad, I tried to follow the debate over healthcare reform in the US, but I had to drop it for my own sanity. How could so many of my fellow Americans say that people like me, with chronic diseases we never asked for, should pay more for healthcare because they don't want to participate in the risk pool? How could people like me, who live in fear of losing health insurance, be blind to how badly Americans with type 1 diabetes can get ripped off? I had to remind myself, "It's okay. I don't live there anymore."

An American in the UK: Healthcare for Type 1 - Diabetes Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,333 times
John, dear, diabetes type 1 people are not the only people who suffer from skyrocketing health care costs in US. The people your age and mine are there too.

How do we take it? Hmm.
We voted for people to represent us in the hope that they would deliver on the promised changes. However, US is a democracy and not everyone wants the same thing.

Especially not the health insurance industry which stands to incur large losses if there is a public plan to compete with "for profit" health insurance providers. And they definitely have large profit margins to hire the best lobbyists money can buy, to influence the media, the public opinion and the political system.

Big industry, large pockets, you still remember how that works, John1960, don't you?
Money still talks in the old USA.

How are the Brits?
Do you miss us, Johnny, boy?

Last edited by learningCA; 02-01-2010 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 07:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
This particular thing caught my eye:

Quote:
There are no "death panels" - in fact, the UK's National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) does cost-benefit analyses using almost all the same criteria as US health insurance companies... Except for the profitability ratios.
I'd love to live in the U.K., France, or Canada for their health care system. France's was rated the best but at least in Canada or the U.K. the majority of the citizens speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes