Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

I have lost several pounds in the last few months. I Started lifting weight and running every morning and I also monitored my calories and that did it for me. I found out that I can eat whatever I want if I just make sure I don't eat more then what I burn each day. The way for me to do that is to write down every thing I eat in a food diary. If I know that I want to drink wine and eat pizza in the evening, and consume close to a 1000 calories after 6 pm, I just make sure I eat really light during the day. I try to eat somewhere between 1500-2000 calories per day. I also burn between 500-1000 calories at the gym every day. I have lost around 30 pounds sense February.
The last two weeks however, I have been on the road. On vacation. So I had no access to a gym. But that's alright. I still wrote down my meals and made sure I never over ate. And when I came home after 2 weeks on the road, I had lost one pound, even without going to the gym!
I highly recommend writing down what you eat. I am loosing weight truly without dieting. It is amazing, to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I agree. Whatever plan you follow, recording your daily intake in an invaluable tool. I'm on low-carb, and need to record my food so I'm not creeping up on my carb intake. I also use my food journal to make sure I'm getting a good variety of veggies.

I'm down 12 pounds since June 20.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Well done both of you!

I write down what I eat. I don't count calories or carbs but I know when I'm eating right or too much or the wrong things. Biggest problem now is I've been watching the World Cup for weeks and it's hard to do w/o beer. Final game is tomorrow so no more excuses.

We also have a guest for the summer who is the size of pencil and likes sweets. We also travel with her which means eating out. Which means tough to be good.

I no longer belong to the gym (too far and I'm retired so have no reason to drive into town 5 days a week), so I use my exercise bike, jump rope, free weights, and a Tae Bo routine.

For motivation I've bought some clothes which are a size too small. I intend to wear them when I go to Italy in mid-September. About 8 more pounds and they should fit well.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
I use the computer programs to record my food......I like FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. Some people prefer
mydailyplate.com or sparkpeople.com.....all are good. For the past 4 years if it goes in my mouth, it goes on fitday!! I have memorized a lot of food values and kept myself on track with it. I love the weight graph on the program....it's so good to see that line go down, down, down. And when it goes up....I go back and study my foods for the previous days to see where I got off track. It's a great tool and has been a godsend to me. BTW....as of this month, "I am HALF the woman I used to be!!"

Old 07-11-2010, 08:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Good for you!!!!! Keep it up!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
I use the computer programs to record my food......I like FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal. Some people prefer
mydailyplate.com or sparkpeople.com.....all are good. For the past 4 years if it goes in my mouth, it goes on fitday!! I have memorized a lot of food values and kept myself on track with it. I love the weight graph on the program....it's so good to see that line go down, down, down. And when it goes up....I go back and study my foods for the previous days to see where I got off track. It's a great tool and has been a godsend to me. BTW....as of this month, "I am HALF the woman I used to be!!"
Fitday - the downloaded program - is my fave, too. Sparkpeople is okay, but meh.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
I'm currentlly going to Weight Watchers and that is one of the things they really stress~writing down your food (or entering it into computer) I have been pretty lax about doing that, but I'm starting to see the wisdom of it. Often we think we are eating less till we actually write it down and see what we're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss