Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,390 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have been from doing the whole foods thing, to going raw, and then I did the juice fasting, the colon cleanse, and then the the Belly Fat Cure and then I did VLC (Very Low Carb... aka Atkins...) and now I am dabbling in ZERO carbs!!! Whew!!

Through my experience I have lost almost 20 lbs in about 8 weeks.

So right now, I like doing 0 carbs with a bit of VLC mixed in which I guess is carb cycling!

I have cut out eating all grains, sugars, all beans and dairy except for some veggies, heavy creams and hard cheeses. I still drink coffee, but no sodas except for Zevia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times
You seem to have done everything except for the most effective and important - well rounded and proper NUTRITION and exercise.

Why not these two?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You seem to have done everything except for the most effective and important - well rounded and proper NUTRITION and exercise.

Why not these two?
You beat me to it!

To the OP, what will you do when your body just can't sustain the 0 carb diet? It should be about getting healthy and not losing as much weight as possible in the shortest period of time. The longer it takes to lose the weight the longer it will stay off.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,406 times
Mugsy, the MAIN ENERGY trio your body uses are CALORIES, CARBS, and FAT. If you knock out any of those things completely, your body goes into "starvation mode", meaning that while you lose weight, you start to lose other functions because your body cannot sustain itself correctly. Then, when you finally do get back to eating carbs to any degree, your body will instantly store it, and you will GAIN ALL YOUR WEIGHT BACK, plus some.

Eat in moderation, and like Lao says, eat a BALANCED diet. Lean up on your Calories/Carbs/Fat. Your body will adjust to it. Also, EXERCISE, and include some WEIGHTS in it to maintain a correct METABOLISM.

Incidentally, the words I have in capital letters are things you really need to research to correct the way you are trying to lose weight.

Ian

Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 PM

527 posts, read 1,020,173 times
hi mugsy- I am a believer in LOW CARB diets i have lost 30lbs and have kept it off for over 5years now- I dont suggest 0 carbs- but if you limit yourself between 10-20gr of carbs a day then you still get your balanced nutrition- as we know meat, fish and eggs are basically all 0grams of carb so those I eat unlimitted,Now you do need some veggies to balance it out- i ALWAYS KEEP AWAY from: potatoes, peas, carrots, beets and other high starchy ones- I use 20g of carbs per day with the following of these varieties: Spinach (made with either butter or olive oil, garlic) - Broccoli (made the same way OR with melted cheddar)- Salads made with FULL FAT dressing normally either blue cheese or ranch I add some cucumber take 3 cherry tomatoes and dice em up etc, mushrooms, squash, cabbage, hot peppers -I NEVER eat white rice or white bread- now that I am on the maintaining part I eat dream fields pasta every now and then and brown rice every now and then as well

Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Why not these two?
This. Times 1000.

Congrats OP on losing 20lbs in 8 weeks. As soon as you start eating normally again, you'll gain all of it back plus some. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to get off the couch, get your body moving, and eat right.

You need carbs. Eat them.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,950 times
I did the low carb diet and then I did the lower fat diet with complex carbs. More weight came off and stayed off on the lower fat and complex carb way of eating.

I agree with the other posters, a no carb diet is NOT the way to go.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
I've had great success on the all carb diet. I just eat 2 pieces of toast a day and the weight just melts off.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,012,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I've had great success on the all carb diet. I just eat 2 pieces of toast a day and the weight just melts off.
LOL, TXRunner!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:05 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,522,974 times
first off its totally impossible to do zero carbs. There are a trace to .09 carbs in everything we eat but under a certain amount no need to print of nutritonal label. So techically if you add up what you think may be zero carbs actually turns out to be about 10 -15 a day. This is still extreme. However I am a HUGE believer in a diet that is low carb and or as the op calls it zero carbs. Carbs are the only one macro nutrient the body DOES NOT NEED TO SURVIVE. Your body will turn fat into glucose and voila!! Its not dangerous, infact very healthy. I did a very low carb diet for 3 years without cheating and blood numbers were great!! Doctor could not believe how my good cholesterol was so high! I had plenty of energy and felt great. I am all for it, you will live longer and never have to worry about diabetes. There is no proof that saturated fat causes heart disease too!! Yes yes the media and brainwashing scares people to death. Go to the forum low carb friends and read the media and print article sections. read the whole forum its a great place and real science not junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss