Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

To me it's counterintuitive to think one can eat eggs, cheese, & ham but that the sugar in a tomato is suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I have been eating carbs for breakfast for years, usually without gaining weight. But some days I don't know what happens and I gain weight. Happened recently - went from 161 to 162.4 next day. Then did a 32 mile road bike workout and it went down to 161.2 next 2 days. But from 2009 I didn't workout much so I slowly gained weight from 145 lbs to 161 lbs.

Now I plan to lose weight this Spring and Summer. Will road bike and weight lift on my off bike days. But after reading the Atkins diet book I plan to put a little Atkins in my diet on the days I workout and after. Normal days I'll eat carbs like cookies and cakes.

So what can I eat for a low carb breakfast? I don't know of many choices besides egg and meat.

I found low carb drinks in unsweetened Almond milk and instant coffee made with Aldi sugar free French Vanila Creamer. I will sweeten the Almond milk with Splenda.

I'm slowly accumulating low carb food for my diet.

I know this has eggs, but you will find it a nice change. Take a avocado and scramble is with 2 or three eggs, it is very low in carbs, high in fat and very tasty.

How about some sort of nuts for Breakfast, like Brazil nuts or Pecans????

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I saw on the internet that someone tried soya powder in their recipes and didn't like the taste.
You could always try it yourself and make up your own mind.

Quote:
I was wondering about oatmeal and I'd eat it with Splenda but it's not low carb.
Oatmeal is a good choice, even though it's not low-carb; it's very filling and satisfying. Instead of Splenda (dangerous chemical), what about a few spoonfuls of fresh berries? Or a tablespoon of real maple syrup? You might also pair a small serving of oatmeal with a hard-boiled egg, or another protein source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
To me it's counterintuitive to think one can eat eggs, cheese, & ham but that the sugar in a tomato is suspect.
That's the low-carb WOL in a nutshell. This is not to say that tomatoes are off the menu, but instead can be enjoyed in reasonable amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A whole 3-inch diameter ripe red tomato has a whopping 5 grams of sugar in it. That's just over a teaspoon. It also has 7 grams of carbohydrates. There are 15 grams in ONE carb - this means a tomato has just under a half carb in it.
Your math is suspect. If a tomato has 7 grams of carbohydrates in it, it has 7 grams of carbohydrates in it. Period. This "one carb" bull is just a duplicitous way of disguising the number of carbohydrate grams in foods.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I suspect 99% of the people in the USA would be healthier if they ate more fresh tomatoes.

But then the OP asked for an atkinsy breakfast, so what matters is answering OP's question, which is why i did not comment till now.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I was not stating that tomatoes are bad for you, but this is a low-carb thread and that's why I made a little note in my posting about the fact that a tomato is a fruit. I love them and I know they are great for you, but they do have some sugar in them and for some that is not acceptable or needs to be watched.
As far as the ham, fat free/low-fat cheese, and egg whites.. those are all high protein and low or zero fat.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I was not stating that tomatoes are bad for you, but this is a low-carb thread and that's why I made a little note in my posting about the fact that a tomato is a fruit. I love them and I know they are great for you, but they do have some sugar in them and for some that is not acceptable or needs to be watched.
As far as the ham, fat free/low-fat cheese, and egg whites.. those are all high protein and low or zero fat.
The reason people are supposed to watch their fruit intake when on a low-carb diet, is because MANY fruits (not all) are high in sugar content. Tomatoes are not. Therefore, there is no reason to note about tomatoes being fruit, as any kind of cautionary advice.

Tomatoes are low-carb, non-fat, low-sugar, low calories, and loaded with vitamins C and A and are MUCH better for you than a slice of ham, in general. Unless you're looking for protein, and don't care about sugar, calories, fat, carbs, or vitamin content. Then, ham is the better choice.

Personally if it were me, I'd pick a tomato, and something with less sodium than ham, less processed than ham, with more to its benefit than simply having some protein.

The point is, putting as much bang for your buck as possible into your food choices. Ham does not carry all that much bang for its buck. A tomato does.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:53 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Oatmeal is low glycemic. Any combo of animal protein and vegetable or moderate to low glycemic carb is going to be ok. Read some diet books & get educated so you can make these choices yourself.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Oatmeal is low glycemic. Any combo of animal protein and vegetable or moderate to low glycemic carb is going to be ok. Read some diet books & get educated so you can make these choices yourself.
Low glycemic and low carb diets are completely different animals and trying to combine the two is a sure fire way to fail.

This is my main gripe with the Atkins thing. After Dr. Atkins died, the people who sell the Atkins products fell into that "net carb" trap. That **** might work on a low glycemic diet, but it will KILL a low carb diet.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
What about a greek yogurt?

Chobani Greek Vanilla yogurt has 13gms of carbs and 16gms of protein. It's considered one carb serving but it's not loaded with carbohydrates.

Plain chobani has 18gms of protein and 7gms of carbs if you want something with less carbs. You could always add some extract for flavor (vanilla extract, orange...etc).

I like to do 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites scrambled, a handful of spinach, 1 diced roma tomato and a little fat free feta. Cook the eggs and spinach, toss in the tomato and feta at the very end of cooking. This keeps me full for a very long time.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:19 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Turkey and swiss roll ups.

I like the Energy Breakfast at Cheesecake factory - chicken breast served with scrambled egg whites and sauteed spinach and mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss