Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

If you think about what this article is saying it really makes sense for a lot of people...........

Is your shampoo making you fat? | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,104 times
yes, but I tend to eat/drink 4 bottles a day

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Ridiculous article written by a fat author. How dare she even attempt to give advice on weight issues when she is clearly battling her own. Its like Lindsey Lohan giving advice on being sober.

Article is full of fluff and has very very very very very very little substance.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ridiculous article written by a fat author.
She has to be wrong then. And so must the other PhDs and MDs in the article.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Ridiculous article written by a fat author

She doesn't look particularly fat to me in that photo.
Are you acquainted with her?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Now I'm worried about my sunscreen. Those additional SPFs and cocoa butter could be adding pounds!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I wouldn't call her fat, but definitely an extremist. I've been around with these people before and insane would be a good word to describe them. They spend way too much time reading things on the Internet and come up with crazy articles like this. Worst part is, it leads others like them to think they're not going crazy, even though they obviously are..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,267 times
The author does look to be kind of chubby...

I think the title of the article is misleading, as the amount of shampoo absorbed through the skin - and the associated chemicals - would not necessarily be enough to make someone obese. Perhaps the combined ingestion of the typical chemicals found in sodas (diet or otherwise), processed foods, and even some "natural" foods are more likely a contributor to health problems overall (not just obesity).

It is not surprising that people would overlook the main cause of obesity, and blame something that minimally affects it. I am sure that someone who is obese can stop washing their hair completely, and they will still be obese for years to come. The fact that the author uses Gwyneth Paltrow's workout routine as an example of a good workout routine adds to the flimsiness of the article. Her trainer recommends working out in a hot climate and using no more than 3 pounds of weight for resistance. You are a more efficient machine when your body does not have to expend energy to cool itself (run farther and faster, thus burn more calories in cold); and the best way to burn fat is through building of muscle tissue (maybe if you carried the 3-pound weights all day...). Chances are better that Gwyneth also has a chef that prepares her some really healthy meals. Eating a slice of pizza once a week doesn't make you obese; and obese women should not use the skinniest woman on the planet as a role model.

The Gerson Theory was developed in the 1930s, and talks about the toxins in our daily lives, and how they affect out health. It isn't new science, and it doesn't mean you can eat anything you want as long as you don't wash your hair.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Ridiculous article written by a fat author.
So you know her, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
And so must the other PhDs and MDs in the article.
Yeah, they must be fat, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
What to do about the problem of endocrine disruptors and obesity?
Endocrine disruptors' association with obesity may be tenuous at best, no doubt; however, the real issue is that these chemicals could very well have long-term effects on our bodies and our health that we're just not aware of yet. They may even mess up the metabolism in some people; we just don't know.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Ridiculous article.

Doctor to little girl: "So, little girl you are 12 years old and 200 pounds right?"
Girl: "Yes, I lost weight so I am now down to about 205"
Doctor: "Why do you think that you are so large?"
Girl: "Well, because my grandma and mother both used head and shoulders so it changed their genes which is why I not have the fat gene and will pass it along to my kids."
Doctor: "Oh so shampoo made you and your immediate relatives fat?"
Girl: "Yes doctor, its all the fault of the shampoo. Not that my mother fed me crap, or that I am too stupid to learn how to eat healthy food, Its totally the fault of Head and Shoulders and Prell. People on CD back me up on this"

Pah-leeze!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss