Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times

Advertisements

I was just in Paris and its filled with thin people (not too thin, and I won't call them healthy because a lot of them smoke) that eat bread at every meal. The Parisians love their bread. A typical breakfast includes coffee and some sort of bread, either a croissant or just regular butter with bread. Lunch is the ever popular sandwich made on a small baguette and filled with meat and maybe cheese. At mid day you see everyone walking and eating these. Dinner always has bread on the side. And they love butter, cheese, and wine.
So my question is, if bread is so evil why are the French so thin? Its time to get real about calories and food choices. Its the amount you eat and your level of movement, not that you cannot eat bread.
Of course there will be naysayers that will argue this and thats fine. Everyone needs to find a way of eating that works for them. If omitting breads, pastas and such works for you then of course you should eat that way.
I just find it interesting that the French eat bread, the Italians eat pasta, and Asians eat rice and none of those countries have the obesity problem that we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Is this a poorly written rant against low carb/keto followers?

By the way, there are a ton of obese Europeans.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Its tough to stereotype an entire cultural demographic but i'd say Europeans are a lot more active in their daily lives than Americans, lots of walking in their daily routine.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,118,417 times
I would agree they walk & catch public transportation to their jobs a lot more than the car culture here. I also think portion size is important, Italians plate of pasta is way smaller than the huge bowl Americans consider dinner, to the Italians, it is a side dish, not the main meal.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,807 times
They don't eat much more than bread, so overeating isn't an issue for them. Junk food is also less common.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:31 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I just find it interesting that the French eat bread, the Italians eat pasta, and Asians eat rice and none of those countries have the obesity problem that we have here.
Yes, they do. It's just that we started it and it's taking time for other areas to get caught up.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
They are outside getting more sunshine.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
This post is neither a rant nor poorly written.

I've been to Europe. I've dated an Asian man. They simply eat less. Portion control. They are also more active overall. The Asian diet is very carb heavy, with white rice serve with meals at least twice per day and yet most of the population can be considered "normal weight".

America eats too much, period. Lots of fat, protein, sodium, sugar. And follows up with not moving, so there's no burning of all the extra calories. It is what it is.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:50 PM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
The first time I visited Germany, I observed a few things.

In general, they are not as fat as Americans. They also eat less. For example, when you have breakfast, the juice glass is 4 oz, not 16 oz as we have in America. At dinner, the portion size is small. If you are having a steak, its about 3 inches max diameter.

Also, most people walk a lot. They take the subway and they walk from the station to their flat. Central heating is sketchy and they like to sleep with windows open.

I also think they suffer much less stress. In the USA, most everyone lives in constant fear of losing a job, healthcare and house. Their social welfare system is more comprehensive.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is this a poorly written rant against low carb/keto followers?

By the way, there are a ton of obese Europeans.
No its not. If you read my post through you would see that I said that people should do whatever works for them. And I was just in London and Paris and I did not see one obese person. In America they are everywhere. I have traveled throughout the United States and the MAJORITY of people are either fairly overweight or obese. The slim people are the minority.

We have tons of fast food and super sizes. We eat crap in this country and it shows. When you match junk foods and sodas with sedentary lifestyles you are going to get fat.
I am sure there are overweight people in Europe, but I didn't see ANY when I was there. Maybe there are all hiding.
Kuwait had normal sized people until we came over and put in fast food restaurants. They love fast food. Now the obesity rate in Kuwait is 48.2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss