Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

How anyone tried this?

It's sold online and at Walgreens/CVS also. It's called the Optimal Solutions Complete Protein & Vitamin Shake Mix.

Not bad.

I'm trying to wean off my love for bad foods and going to try eating more like the Paleo diet combined with the shakes.

I've just been overeating for 5 years and I'm having a hard time sticking to something. I know I need to do something.

I am starting to work out (again) also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Massively overpriced and not real impressive, just from looking at the nutritional label.

You could easily find a much better product for a much better price.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Buy yourself a decent blender (I love my Vitamix), buy some organic greens like chard, kale, spinach, mixed fiield greens, dandelion greens, beet greens, collard greens, baby bok choy, etc. Cut up some organic bananas and freeze them in individual packages and buy a large bag of wild, organic blueberries, whole almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and walnuts, frozen raspberries, a few organic kiwi fruit and a bag of organic lemons. Buy hemp fiber and hemp powder and chia seeds and some fresh organic peanut or almond butter, unflavored and unsweetened soy milk or some fresh soft or silken tofu, local honey, liquid stevia.

Now you have all the ingredients to make a healthy, full of fiber, protein and vitamins meal-replacement smoothie.

Place 1 cup of water and 1 cup of cold soy milk in your blender, 1 tablespoon of hemp powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons of hemp protein, a scoop of chia seeds (that have been soaked in water), a cut up unpeeled lemon, 2 cups packed greens (don't mix your greens - use only 1 type of green and alternate the greens daily so you aren't using the same greens every day). Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or a few almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds if you like. Add your fruit - 1/2 a frozen banana, 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries, a little liquid stevia or local honey and a 1 to 2 cups of ice. Blend until smooth and enjoy - absolutely delicious and filling - this is a meal replacement not a snack.

I have a version of this smoothie every single night for dinner - nothing else. It is filling. I have lost 32 lbs. in 4 months. My main meal of the day is lunch. Typical lunch: Beans (black, kidney, pinto, white) with spices, sauted vegetables (I saute using vegetable stock) and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast, green salad with tomato, cucumber, radishes, sprouts, grated carrot, quinoa or brown rice (1/2 cup).

Sometimes for lunch I bake a sweet potato and put on top a 1/2 cup of spiced black beans and some salsa on top - very filling lunch. I also love to make vegan tostadas - nuke a corn tortilla until crisp, spread with spiced fat-free spiced refried beans mixed with a little salsa, chopped purple cabbage, a whole chopped tomatoes, diced purple onions, 1/2 an avocado and top with cilantro, salsa and fresh lime.

I have a green salad every day - no dressing.

Breakfast is oatmeal with flax seed meal, a few walnuts, 1/2 a banana and almond milk or a piece of toast with peanut butter and a whole grapefruit. Sometimes I make a tofu scramble that is delicious and full of protein and resembles and tastes like scrambled eggs.

I don't eat animal products - so I don't have to deal with the fat, cholesterol or expense of dealing with meat. I eat no refined sugar - the only sugar I have is whatever is in the fruits and vegetables that I eat. I eat no added oil or fats in my diet - the foods I eat have all the fat I need - no need for added calories by added unneeded fat.

I do 2 1/2 to 3 miles 4 times a week on the tread mill and I do some light weight lifting. I stay active all day and try to not sit down much.

This is a complete change of lifestyle for me but I have gone from a size 16 to a size 10 in 4 months....I wanted and needed to see fast results. I don't consider this regimen to be a diet at all - it is the way I intend to eat for the rest of my life. It allows me to not have in the house the foods that once caused me to gain weight and be unhealthy.

You could always add 4 ounces of chicken breast or 4 ounces of salmon to your daily meals if you feel that you could not do without meat.

If you really want to lose weight and be healthy and full of energy - this plan of eating might work for you.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM

Or I could just run up to GNC/Vitamin Shoppe and buy tub of casein protein powder and be done with it.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Drinking a protein shake is not going to cause you to be slim or healthy....changing your entire diet and the way you eat, your understanding of how good nutrition works, portion control and the food that you stock your cabinets and fridge with - that is the way to change your weight, health and long term maintenance of both.

From Livestrong.com

Cancer
In "The China Study," Dr. T. Colin Campbell explains the apparent link between the occurrence of cancer and consumption of animal protein. What he was able to find was that casein --- which is 85 percent of the protein in dairy --- promoted cancer in all stages of its development. He concluded that the only safe protein was plant-derived protein. The amount of cancer growth could be controlled based on the amount of casein in the diets of the laboratory animals.

This indicates that cancer could be avoided by shunning animal proteins, specifically casein. Other studies are still researching the subject so there is no conclusion as to the link between casein and cancer. When drastically changing your diet, be sure to consult your health professional.

Respiratory Problems
Casein is thick, coarse and often used to form the strongest glue known to man. It's also a strong mucus-forming substance. There is 300 percent more casein in cow's milk than in human milk. Due to this high amount of casein in the diet, the human respiratory system can become clogged and irritated.

Allergies and Illness
When the respiratory system becomes clogged and irritated, you body is more susceptible to hay fever, asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, colds, runny noses, ear infections and the common allergy to dairy.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Drinking a protein shake is not going to cause you to be slim or healthy...
No single food is going to do that, or make you fat and unhealthy.

Quote:
changing your entire diet and the way you eat, your understanding of how good nutrition works, portion control and the food that you stock your cabinets and fridge with - that is the way to change your weight, health and long term maintenance of both.
So what you're saying is that a protein shake cannot be part of this?

Quote:
From Livestrong.com

Cancer
In "The China Study," Dr. T. Colin Campbell explains the apparent link between the occurrence of cancer and consumption of animal protein. What he was able to find was that casein --- which is 85 percent of the protein in dairy --- promoted cancer in all stages of its development. He concluded that the only safe protein was plant-derived protein. The amount of cancer growth could be controlled based on the amount of casein in the diets of the laboratory animals.

This indicates that cancer could be avoided by shunning animal proteins, specifically casein. Other studies are still researching the subject so there is no conclusion as to the link between casein and cancer. When drastically changing your diet, be sure to consult your health professional.
LOL, seriously?

You realize you quoted the part of that link that says that says "yeah, we're not sure this is really correct", right? Also, you do realize the China Study was basically a glorified correlation (not causation) study with a small sample size (about 100 people) and lab rats (results not applicable to humans) and was widely criticized within the medical community, right?

Read more.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.The China Study vs the China study » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Science-Based Medicine » The China Study

What Dr. Campbell Won't Tell You About the China Study

Quote:
Respiratory Problems
Casein is thick, coarse and often used to form the strongest glue known to man. It's also a strong mucus-forming substance. There is 300 percent more casein in cow's milk than in human milk. Due to this high amount of casein in the diet, the human respiratory system can become clogged and irritated.

Allergies and Illness
When the respiratory system becomes clogged and irritated, you body is more susceptible to hay fever, asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, colds, runny noses, ear infections and the common allergy to dairy.
None of which is even remotely possible unless you have a dairy allergy. Also, do you even bother to check your sources? While I normally like LiveStrong, the author of the piece you posted has degrees in history and business administration. Nothing health or science related.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Throw the protein shakes in the bin, they are not necessary for weight loss. Only idiots like Bosco55David thinks that is a proper diet, because he has no education, or at least didn't pay attention at school. But hey it's his body, he'll be dead long before me so what do I care.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Wow, hand one guy a e-beatdown and you create your own little groupie. Isn't that precious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Throw the protein shakes in the bin, they are not necessary for weight loss.
Another strawman. Try again, kiddo.

Quote:
Only idiots like Bosco55David thinks that is a proper diet, because he has no education, or at least didn't pay attention at school. But hey it's his body, he'll be dead long before me so what do I care.
Well me, Alan Aragon (B.S and M.S in Nutrition, trainer for professional athletes and respected researcher), Lyle McDonald (B.S in Physiology, also respected trainer and researcher) and Layne Norton (B.S in Biochemistry, PhD in Nutritional Sciences and professional bodybuilder) just to name a few.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
I couldn't give a toss how many letters people have behind their names. If they promote diets based on fake franken-foods and supplements because they can't achieve results with a natural diet, that indicates a distinct lack of nutritional understanding.

Who is kiddo by the way? Attempt to be patronising? I know far more than you do about this topic. Far, far more.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I couldn't give a toss how many letters people have behind their names. If they promote diets based on fake franken-foods and supplements because they can't achieve results with a natural diet, that indicates a distinct lack of nutritional understanding.
That's another fallacy by the way, it's called invincible ignorance.

Also, I never said they promote protein shake only diets. They simply understand the role that protein shakes can play in diets of any type. You should try learning more.

Quote:
Who is kiddo by the way? Attempt to be patronising? I know far more than you do about this topic. Far, far more.
You mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss