Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

jasper12, I know how you feel. It's very discouraging and difficult to try to lose weight at this age! Like I said somewhere in another post, I feel like I'm fighting for every ounce I lose. It's as if the weight is just sitting there sticking its tongue out at me. "Nyah nyah nyah! No matter what you do, I'm not going anywhere! I like it here; I'm at home, and you can't make me move!"

I'm sorry that you had such high hopes for your trip to Vegas, and now it'll be a bit different from what you imagined. I have a picture of myself losing another 20-25 lbs before mid-October; we'll see if I ever get there!

How are your clothes fitting? Have you seen/felt a difference? Sometimes your body shape can be changing without you losing a lot of weight (everything becomes tighter but denser, because muscle weighs more than fat). I'm a bit discouraged about my stomach, too. I keep looking at it, wondering when it'll start shrinking even a little. Liposuction, here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I am more fit. But the "pooch" has taken over my body.

I am now aiming for fifteen pounds by June. Laughable. But...that is fine with me. Five pounds a month is steady progress.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am more fit. But the "pooch" has taken over my body.

I am now aiming for fifteen pounds by June. Laughable. But...that is fine with me. Five pounds a month is steady progress.
Im in my 50s 5 pounds a month is if for me

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM

It seems that I'm losing about half a pound per week now. Then again, there have been all kinds of dinners and social events in which I know I'm not being good; I can resist anything except temptation. I've also noticed that I feel lighter, but stronger.

I bought some new work blouses recently. I also found some very cute casual tops. A medium would fit me right now, so I bought a small instead. Where's my incentive to continue losing weight if those tops fit?! That was a difficult decision, because my "instant gratification" side really, really wanted to buy the size I am currently.

I went out to dinner last night, and it's amazing how bad the food at most restaurants is! I ordered steak and lobster, and a side of green beans. The green beans were covered in a buttery sauce! It all tasted amazing, but now I'm going to have to walk it all off. At least I only had a glass of water instead of a cocktail. Decisions, decisions...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
blah blah...I know, weight loss is a journey...

I am just sick of going to the gym, killing myself, doing bootcamp, crossfit training, weight lifting, zumba, yoga, denying myself food..yes, i have to DENY myself food I like, and want...because believe me, I could eat pasta every day, with italian bread, Brie cheese, with crusty french bread, a huge sandwich from Jimmy Johns...I love food, I like eating a lot of food. Butter, cheese, bread, pasta, were my "main" go to foods.

I now eat lettuce, tuna, eggs, healthy salads, and skip one meal a day, with a protien shake.

AND...the scale is not moving fast enough. Great, maybe one or two pounds a MONTH...I hate dieting. Maybe it is my age, over 50...and the fat just wants to stay on the body...

This IS self denial...I would much rather NOT be at the gym 6 days a week. I would much rather EAT whatever food I want. And, the weight is not even moving at all...

March, time to really ramp it up...this is driving me crazy though. I wanted to lose 20 pounds before going on our trip to Vegas. I had plans of wearing stunning dresses, and jeans, with no pooch. Well, that is not gonna happen.

I have two kettlebells, I do a kettlebell work out every morning for about 25 minutes...crunches, ab work, squats, lunges, in addition to the Bootcamp 3 days a week, and yoga, Zumba, the other three days. I take one day off a week from the gym.

Okay, rant is over...but this diet is killing me. I want a big bowl of pasta for dinner. With a second helping, and a big loaf of crusty french bread, with butter and parmesan cheese melted on it. I want to just laze around the house tonight too, and do nothing but watch tv.

No, instead, I will go to Zumba, drink 32 ounces of water, do twenty minutes on the Elliiptical, and the wieght circuit. Then, come home, and have a piece of salmon, and a salad. And MAYBE... I will lose a half a pound this month.
If you feel like you are denying yourself and barely losing any weight, maybe you aren't eating enough. Sometimes eating a little more or something you might not normally eat can help jump start a loss. Just an idea.

I do somewhat understand, though. I always hear people say "I stopped eating chips, or sugar (or whatever) for a month and now I don't even want it. It sounds gross to me." Depending on my mood, sometimes I would like to slap those people. I will never NOT want my trigger foods, so I do have to deny myself of some things. It sucks.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Thanks. I am just a baby.

I really am a carb addict. I have had no bread since December, so I bought a loaf. Okay...I are the whole thing in two days! It was really good.

Back on the diet. I made a rich soup the other day with white beans and fennel, very good. Tonight I had butternut squash casserole after the gym. And some yummy kale salad.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Good for you, jasper12! We're all babies at times, aren't we? I'm glad you enjoyed some bread, even if you ate it quickly. Congratulations on getting back to your diet ASAP, too! I know it isn't easy.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Thanks. I am just a baby.

I really am a carb addict. I have had no bread since December, so I bought a loaf. Okay...I are the whole thing in two days! It was really good.

Back on the diet. I made a rich soup the other day with white beans and fennel, very good. Tonight I had butternut squash casserole after the gym. And some yummy kale salad.
Yeouch. I'm like that with starch too (specifically bread but other starches as well). But, rather than deprivation, since you have no "illness" or medical reason to not eat bread, why not just portion control yourself on it? What I've done in the past..

I stop by the italian restaurant on the way home from work, and ask the pizza guy for 1 portion of italian bread. That's 4 thin slices, baked that morning from a local bakery, and generally doesn't include the heel.

That's all the bread there is, it's my portion for the meal, it cost me around 50 cents, and it's perfect. By the third slice I'm feeling satisfied, and the fourth slice sends me to carb heaven.

I smear each slice (lovingly of course) with a little butter, and press the butter side into a little mound of grated cheese. Those tiny little slices are like - my side dish. It's amazing.

And really, it's just around an inch of bread. Once every couple of days. In addition to whatever meals I'm eating.

You want pasta? Have pasta. But have someone make it for you, in a portion that you feel is acceptable (ask the pizza joint for a side order only, with meat sauce and a single meatball - add a nice tossed salad and there's your dinner).

I totally know how it feels to have what you love staring a hole in your head and not being able to eat just a little of it. So when I'm feeling that way, I have someone else make just enough for me. And that way, I can't GET more of it, because that's all there is.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
A portion controlled pasta option:
Italian Sausage & Rigatoni Complete Skillet Meal | Newman's Own

There are two servings in a bag. Each serving 550 calories.

Newman's Own products seem to be really filling for the volume too.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I haven't had bread, pasta, sweets, potatoes, rice, wine...since December. Finally, this past weekend I allowed myself some wine. Stepped on the scale on Monday and just like that - 3 pounds heavier. And no I did not drink like a sailor...

I know it'll come right off, but sooo frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss