Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Stepka, I'd like to get to the point where refusing dessert or a cookie is natural. It's not, and it may never be, but the word "No" is always a complete sentence even if some people don't take it that way!
It's super easy once you lose your taste for sugar.
Now most sweet stuff kind of disgusts me.
So it's as easy as saying, "No, thanks!" to a dish of steaming poo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
I use milk in my coffee, usually...prefer a lighter coffee ("au lait" I guess is the term). But if im ordering out little choice in what McDonalds or White Castle uses cream.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Coffee = black + milk + cinnamon

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's super easy once you lose your taste for sugar.
Now most sweet stuff kind of disgusts me.
So it's as easy as saying, "No, thanks!" to a dish of steaming poo.
I didn't eat desserts for the last six weeks, with the intention of eating dessert again yesterday on Mother's Day. I never stopped wanting it and never lost my taste for it. Part of the reason I swore it off was to try to stop craving it, but it never happened. All I can say is I'm glad I never tried heroin.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I didn't eat desserts for the last six weeks, with the intention of eating dessert again yesterday on Mother's Day. I never stopped wanting it and never lost my taste for it. Part of the reason I swore it off was to try to stop craving it, but it never happened. All I can say is I'm glad I never tried heroin.
Six months isn't enough....I would give it another 6 months and make sure that you are having adequate fruit - not to be overdone but eat low-glycemic fruits not high sugar fruits like watermelon and too many bananas. I've been off of sugar for a little over a year....I no longer crave it - this is a miracle for me...good luck to you.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The term "food addiction" is a really bad cliche. ALL humans are "addicted" to food. Without food, we ALL suffer. We *cannot* cease to eat, without suffering - we *cannot* "quit" food, without suffering severe withdrawal, and eventual death. Therefore, we are all hopelessly addicted to food. There is no cure for it, no treatment, we are doomed to require food until we die. For those of us who are incapable of eating via the mouth, tubes *must* be placed and nutrition "fed" directly into the stomach, or we will starve to death. The only alternative to eating - is death.

There are people who overeat, who have cravings for specific things, who give in to those cravings, and reject self-control. No, it isn't a matter of willpower and no, it isn't easy. But it -does- require self-control, self-respect, accountability, and a bit of maturity to say "You know, I really WANT another slice of cheesecake but - I had one, it was delicious, and I'll be satisfied with just that today." Or even a simple "no thank you" when something is offered that would put us over the top of "what I can eat that will taste good, be nutritious, satisfy my hunger, and maintain a healthy weight."

Overeaters are not addicts. They're overeaters. People who give in to their cravings, and have cravings frequently enough to become obese as a result of giving in, aren't addicts. They're people with lack of self-control, self-respect, and accountability.
Hogwash. All humans are not addicted to food. Food is a necessity for human life to continue. That is not an addiction. Since when did a requirement for human life become an addition? That is nothing more than made up science.

Overeaters are not addicts and roses of any color other than red are not roses. Uh huh.

Yes, it is a matter of willpower. Self control is will power. Geesh, more junk science.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Six months isn't enough....I would give it another 6 months and make sure that you are having adequate fruit - not to be overdone but eat low-glycemic fruits not high sugar fruits like watermelon and too many bananas. I've been off of sugar for a little over a year....I no longer crave it - this is a miracle for me...good luck to you.
I only went 6 weeks, so I guess if I'm serious about it I have to get back on the wagon. I'm not overweight and all my health numbers are good, so I don't know how much I need to give up sugar. I just hate the hold it has on me.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Hogwash. All humans are not addicted to food. Food is a necessity for human life to continue. That is not an addiction. Since when did a requirement for human life become an addition? That is nothing more than made up science.

Overeaters are not addicts and roses of any color other than red are not roses. Uh huh.

Yes, it is a matter of willpower. Self control is will power. Geesh, more junk science.
I would agree with you when it comes to normal, naturally occurring foods.

I think all bets are off when you're talking about some of the chemicals and genetic modifications that have been introduced (esp now that they are questioning whether GMO plasmids could be incorporated into your own genetic material)...that seems all left-fieldy, but there are studies (including one out of Princeton) demonstrating sugar is an addictive substance and HFCS promotes weight gain.

Learn more about sugar addiction | e! Science News

Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Indeed. Simple and effective. I call it "The Engineer's Diet".

caloric expenditure > caloric intake = weight loss

Doesn't mean that it's easy to accomplish.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I only went 6 weeks, so I guess if I'm serious about it I have to get back on the wagon. I'm not overweight and all my health numbers are good, so I don't know how much I need to give up sugar. I just hate the hold it has on me.
I used to not be able to resist sugar..it called to me...one cookie was never enough.....I understand where you are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss