Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,411,799 times

Advertisements

Hello...I don't normally post in here but here goes. I take a few medications that have the side effect of weight gain, which is tough for me, because I also have medical problems that make it difficult for me to exercise. It is even more difficult when I have gained weight.

I know I have the ability to lose it, because I lost a significant amount back in the days during my separation back in 07. My Rheumatoid Arthritis had only just gotten diagnosed and my joints did not have near as much pain as they do now.

I have the RA, Fibro, DD, OA...it just piles on and on and on with the dx. It's quite painful to exercise, and on the days I am feeling good, I overdo it and then have several bad days.

I am in a severe catch 22 here.

Sodas. I don't drink a whole lot of them, but I was drinking about 1 per day. Possibly 2 if we went out to eat. I stopped drinking them all together for the past 2 weeks or so. I tried one one evening and it just tasted awful to me so I just dumped it out.

Starbucks. Serial SB drinker. I was getting the mochas with whipped cream etc and I switched to no whip just foam. It took a couple of times to get used to it but then it was fine. I also got a smaller size. I was drinking those about 5x per week.

I get them now only once or twice a week. I still go, but I get a passion tea. In the past week I lost 4 pounds.

Normally I just seem to gain weight. I do eat healthily but I am thinking changing the sodas and coffee has really made a difference, and it was really no big deal.

I am seeing a Chiropractor and he has helped leaps and bounds with my back and hip pain as well as my neck and sinus pains. I am more limber and hoping to be able to do more walking.

I have a problem with my pelvis rotating and the more walking I do, the more my pelvis rotates, and then I have a leg length discrepancy and then my hips and back hurt. Good Lord is all I have to say about all of that.

At any rate, I think cutting out the sodas is making a good difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,022,418 times
Small changes do help. I tell people who are overwhelmed that instead of going cold turkey, cut out 1-2 things at a time, then move on to something else. What you did was perfect

My friend who has to lose almost 200 lbs, she started cutting out sodas, then alcohol, then started cooking at home, then joined a gym, etc. She's already lost at least 50 lbs that way and is very happy

Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Hello...I don't normally post in here but here goes. I take a few medications that have the side effect of weight gain, which is tough for me, because I also have medical problems that make it difficult for me to exercise. It is even more difficult when I have gained weight.
Most people do not understand the mechanics of why some medications cause weight gain. They just shrug it off as a "side effect".

The reason that medications cause people to gain weight is because this is the body's defense mechanism. When you put a foreign chemical into your body, it does NOT know what to do with it. So the liver attempts to NEUTRALIZE the poison, and the best way for this to occur is to build a layer of fat AROUND the poison to isolate it from the body. Your liver releases hormones into your blood stream that make you HUNGRY so that you will eat more and the fat that is produced from this eating is used to sequester the poison in your body. A nice layer of fat is built around the offending chemical poison. This is exactly what cellulite is. If you look at photographs of fat people 100 years ago, they did not have cellulite because they were not consuming chemicals on the level that we are today. This is why cellulite has a LUMPY appearance, because each lump is encasing a chemical that the body cannot deal with.

It it very dangerous to lose weight or go on a diet if you have a lot of "this kind" of fat in your body, because by reducing those fat stores you are effectively releasing those chemical poisons into your body. How many times have you heard about people who were fat who lost weight and then developed some kind of terrible sickness and died? You can't just release this kind of poison into your body without expecting to have some negative consequences. If you do decide to lose weight, you have to do a lot of body cleanses to get the poisons out as you lose the weight.

One of the best and most effective ways of doing this is to take activated charcoal capsules. They are available at health food stores and are very low priced. Bentonite clay is another substance that absorbs toxins as do certain types of fiber such as psyllium husks and chia seeds. There are many products available online that can assist in the detox process.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 AM

@20 years. I really am not that hungry, and truth be told, I don't eat that much.

I take several medications and only 2 of them are listed as having weight gain as a side effect. I have weaned off of one of them but the other one is for Epilepsy and I must continue to take that.

The one I stopped taking was Savella and I was taking it for FM. It was helping very minimally so with the ok of my dr, I weaned off of it.

I have to take a chemo as well as a Biologic weekly, amongst others daily. Many of those cause loss of appetite and so many other things.

While it is unhealthy, I can go without eating til 3pm and not realize it for the most part, because I never feel hungry. Then if on one of those occasions it gets to that point, I become a little dizzy and think oh wow.....I didn't eat today... =/

Maybe it is what you are talking about, maybe it isn't. I am not certain.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Small changes do help. I tell people who are overwhelmed that instead of going cold turkey, cut out 1-2 things at a time, then move on to something else. What you did was perfect

My friend who has to lose almost 200 lbs, she started cutting out sodas, then alcohol, then started cooking at home, then joined a gym, etc. She's already lost at least 50 lbs that way and is very happy
Thanks, I think you're right. I really didn't do it for weight loss, I did it because my little lady who does my reflexology asked me to and I told her I would. She told me I would feel better if I didn't drink soda.....she was right, and I really didn't lose anything, but 4 lbs! =)

Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,022,418 times
You shouldn't NOT eat all day, that is TERRIBLE for your body.

Ideally you should eat within 1-2 hours of waking up.

You may think "oh but I get a stomach ache if I eat too early" then start with something small. Eat a yogurt, or a small bowl of cereal, etc, until your stomach gets used to it.

The number one thing overweight people have in common is they usually skip breakfast. So what happens then? They eat a LOT in the evenings.

If you are constantly "forgetting" to eat, then you need to schedule it in your day. I used to work myself ragged at work and then not eat and then pig out later. I now tell myself the work will still be there, and then I stop, and eat, 15 minutes to eat a meal isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
You shouldn't NOT eat all day, that is TERRIBLE for your body.

Ideally you should eat within 1-2 hours of waking up.

You may think "oh but I get a stomach ache if I eat too early" then start with something small. Eat a yogurt, or a small bowl of cereal, etc, until your stomach gets used to it.

The number one thing overweight people have in common is they usually skip breakfast. So what happens then? They eat a LOT in the evenings.

If you are constantly "forgetting" to eat, then you need to schedule it in your day. I used to work myself ragged at work and then not eat and then pig out later. I now tell myself the work will still be there, and then I stop, and eat, 15 minutes to eat a meal isn't going to hurt anything.
I try and do that. I will eat some plain greek yogurt and throw in blueberries and strawberries. I don't normally eat heavily in the evenings, and I don't eat very late because I have a Hiatal Hernia that causes acid reflux and I don't want to be dying all night long!

Old 06-30-2013, 07:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,225,943 times
Pikantari, good for you. Consuming soda or those coffee beverages is like having a dessert. It's all pure sugar and there's nothing wrong with having dessert on special occasions, but it's trouble if it's a part of the daily routine. Calories from beverages is a huge problem for so many people. We should primarily consume water only. Sometimes I'll have a juice or lemonade, but I cut it with water 50/50.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Pikantari, good for you. Consuming soda or those coffee beverages is like having a dessert. It's all pure sugar and there's nothing wrong with having dessert on special occasions, but it's trouble if it's a part of the daily routine. Calories from beverages is a huge problem for so many people. We should primarily consume water only. Sometimes I'll have a juice or lemonade, but I cut it with water 50/50.
This is such a wonderful post that that I hope you will read it again. If your soda and coffee were not decaff, think of that too! Not good for you. Also, caffeine leaches calcium from the body and soda is just plain nasty. Look it up on google.

I am having a coffee right now because it is Sunday and my dh brought it to me. Sweet. That's it for the week though. Soda? What for? Tastes fake and horrible anyway and you can have a nice cold glass of water with a squirt of lemon and something called stevia, a natural sweetener. That's good for you and zero calories.

BTW, I have had fibro/cfs and caffeine is definitely bad for it--I've read that quite a few times. You are doing the right thing by getting it out of your life.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 PM

20,973 posts, read 28,513,963 times
I cut out Soda December 2012 and I feel better and less bloated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss