Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
Cravings in many cases result from learned behavior.
I agree 100%
Its about understanding that its a learned behaviour, and breaking the cycle. Sometimes easier said than done.

Especially when there are years of eating processed foods, which have transitioned our bodies to be believe it is dependant on certain things such as sugar, excessive salt etc.

I saw a great image the other day:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,386 times
I am trying to loose weight the I gained from a medication, so I also have cut out soda. I can't believe it. I actually like water now. I know strange. I will still have one diet soda for the caffeine before I go to work, but other than that, I don't really even want it anymore.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I have been a soda (Coke, of course) addict my whole life (age 57). I have quit twice. nce about 15 years ago and then again last November. Two things I was addicted to- the caffiene and the feel of fizz. It took about 4 days to get past the caffiene part and now I drink "fizzy water". Specifically Cascade Ice. It's zero everything- just fizz, artificial flavors and sweetener. There are several drinks like this and I have found some are worthless and others not. So on my diet (lost 60 pounds so far) these fizzy drinks have been a great replacement.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,634 times
Haven't had one of those mind numbing things in a long time and I don't miss any of them. The terrible ingredients is the main reason. They are EXTREMELY CHEAP. The amount of SUGAR - why would I do this?

The companies that manufacture this. There is NO ingredient list, because of Trade Secret Laws - the same that protect bug killer companies. No thanks.

Make mine Fentimans Curiosity Colas. Reeds Ginger Brews. Homemade lemon ade with organic lemons, filtered water and organic stevia.

Quote:
Can someone really scare the bejesus out of me about soda?
found here: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24552939 Goes into length on each.

Last edited by hellothereIN; 02-04-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM

368 posts, read 929,117 times
HelloThere, thanks so much for the infographic. I broke down and had one yesterday (drive-thru - horrible!) but I'm going to print this out and put one on my work desk and in my car, the two places where I am the most vulnerable. I do like the fizz and great taste. Where in the world are these colas and ginger brews you speak of??

I saw that Scarlett Johanssen commercial on Sodastream during the Superbowl. Is that really much better?? Curious.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,634 times
Advertisements is how you are pretty much controlled. Fight them back. Those endorsements cost the Companies quite alot of money. The person doesn't need to even like or use the product. It's all money. That's all. Whatever it will take to get you hooked, they will do it. Because they have to deliver the goods. MONEY. MONEY. MONEY. Telling you that you must have this to be liked, to be cool, to have a good time, etc. Then. They. Have. You. (Think of the recent football game hype here. The NFL doesn't pay TAXES for they are exempt. For what? The hype leading up to the commercials, which the cost of could probably save hundreds of families from losing their homes. The players themselves causing brain damage with every tackle/head slam for: MONEY - really big money. And here we, as dutiful "fans" are buying the needed shirts, hats, etc, buying the beer, chips, pizza, MORE beer - to sit and watch these millionaires chase a ball - really?) Ads. That is what runs this country. And most of the humans living in it. In my opinion. Your health is your problem, according to them.

The products you see eye level in the stores are placed there due to the fact those companies pay big bucks for that spot. Trust me, they are NOT worried whether you have health issues that can be made worse by the choice of ingredients and chemicals they choose. That is your job to care for your health.

I have found Fentimans at smaller health food stores and even a big discount liquor store *they have my organic red wine. The Reeds Gingers (which is amazing, but lots of sugar) I have found at most of our grocery stores - even the big chains.

We buy the Fentimans for "special occasions" Truly a treat. I love them more knowing there is no CORN, preservatives, dyes, "natural flavors" etc.

Organic stevia (nothing else added) is very sweet. Fresh squeezed lemons in healthy water with stevia could do the trick. Make a gallon - fill your non BPA bottles. Drink away knowing nothing in there will cause brain damage, diabetes, etc.

Take good care of yourself so that you can live freely without being on six meds, constantly xrayed, feeling sick. It is a choice.

Best of luck - and health - to you.

Last edited by hellothereIN; 02-05-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
HelloThere, thanks so much for the infographic. I broke down and had one yesterday (drive-thru - horrible!) but I'm going to print this out and put one on my work desk and in my car, the two places where I am the most vulnerable. I do like the fizz and great taste. Where in the world are these colas and ginger brews you speak of??

I saw that Scarlett Johanssen commercial on Sodastream during the Superbowl. Is that really much better?? Curious.

No, it's not any better.

You need to start drinking water (like 64oz or more a day)...kick your sugar addiction by replacing your soda fix with water. You can squeeze some lemon in it...put a bit of Stevia if you have to have it sweet, but don't use any blue, yellow or pink sweeteners...those things will KILL you.

Honey is a good sweetener, but I can't stomach it in my coffee...I can take it black tea, but that's about it.

And remember...sugar is sugar....white table sugar, organic white sugar, brown sugar, organic brown sugar, raw sugar, beet sugar, cane sugar, sugar naturally occurring in food (fruits and berries) its all SUGAR and you have to modify your daily intake.

You think you're doing a good thing by eating 5 pieces of fruit a day...but you're not....you're consuming way too much sugar. Do one piece of fruit and 4 servings of dark green veggies.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Switch to diet sodas. I used to hate them but some of the ones out now are pretty good. Pepsi Next, Coke Zero (like the cherry version) Fresca, Diet Mountain Dew...etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I'm not a soda addict. Once in a while I will get a craving. What works for me is to split a can with someone else. I pour my half of can over a full cup of ice and let it sit a little while the ice starts melting. I get the taste of soda and the liquid without all of the calories.

If your soda craving happens at the same every day, I would change up your schedule so you are doing something new at that time. Drink a glass of water or something about 30 minutes earlier so your body doesn't physically need replenishment at that time.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I've slowly made changes to my diet, eating less bread, eating more veggies (via my Vitamix) and I find that I need less coffee to get me through the day, which is good, especially since my love of coffee was of the speciality, super-sugary variety, like the new Caramel Flan. Yum! But I've lost 4 pounds in the last week and a half. No more late night snacking either. I drink tons of water with a lemon slice since plain water bores me to death. I even stopped baking gluten-free cookies, since they were making me really fat, strangely enough!! I gained less weight with the normal, processed cookie variety, go figure. But I stopped the cookies as well and breakfast sandwiches in the morning.

Eating (juicing) a lot of kale and spinach in the morning has been a great start with a cup a frozen fruit. Also drinking a blended combo of a few tablespoons of blueberry juice, 1 cup of coconut water and chia seeds has been a great booster as well and has lessened my cravings for junky food at night.

HOWEVER, I usually like to drink my calories, always have. I don't usually brown-bag it at lunch since my job does have a cafeteria but when the time comes, I either work too long, and leave myself with too little time for a lunch hour and also lose my interest in a salad. I force myself to eat salad usually but I don't love it. I'd rather drink my salad lol! So... without my Vitamix at work and being in a crunch-time situation, I end up getting a Coke. I know this is horrible - empty calories, high fructose corn syrup, caramel coloring (and they just released a study stating that it's a carcinogen) and despite me reminding myself of this and grimacing, I still get it - it tastes good enough, it fills me up and that's my lunch. Stomach pains, gone. Horrible, I know. It ultimately gives me gas and bloat. I KNOW this and still can't stay away. If it's between a salad and a Coke, I choose a Coke. I have a soda probably 2-3x a week (each time around 16-20oz). And it's really hard for me to do without it at the movies. My dinners are usually healthy, meat and veggies, but it's hard since I have children and they want pasta, corn on the cob extra butter, pizza, sloppy joes, etc. etc.

Can someone really scare the bejesus out of me about soda? I remember one time I used to eat corn chips all the time and a friend poured out a few onto a paper towel for me to eat later at my desk. Hours later, the large spreading grease stain from those few corn chips grossed me out to the point that I have never eaten them again.

I need that about Coke!! (Oh and Coke over shaved ice at Tijuana Flats... divine! But again, I need to stop.) Just like I did about stopping the OJ in the morning and having a combo of juiced veggies instead that's tasty, I need to find the same instead of Coke. Don't suggest water. I drink it all day long but for lunch, I want something different. Thanks for suggestions or even ways to psych myself out about it. I'm open to all suggestions. Can't believe I that I have very little will power when it comes to this. Lunchtime at work is the worst.

I drastically cut back on my soda cravings by substituting sparkling water - carbonated water. No calories and it gives you that fizzy taste, that I knew was what I wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss