Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:23 AM

283 posts, read 385,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Many foods contain lauric acid, for example, oats contain small amounts of it. Coconut oil is a zero cholesterol oil.

In any case, a fat that increases both HDL and LDL is a fat that would increase your total cholesterol.....not exactly a good thing.
LOL. Not familiar with Type A LDL are we? Low cholesterol is correlated with violent behavior and depression. Not exactly a state of mind that I prefer being in.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11104842

Quote:

So, as I said, there is no reason to believe that coconut oil is healthful. Also why would I want to consume some grease with no nutritional value?
Coconut oil is not "zero cholesterol", it is zero cholesterol. That's because it's more chemically stable at higher degrees. "zero cholesterol" oils are processed and are high in O6 fatty acids, which we get too much of in a standard Western diet anyway. Coconut oil has also been shown to switch LDL to a type A which is actually good for you. Saying LDL is the "bad cholesterol" is junk science at best, similar to saying that cars are fast or that runners are slow.

Coconut Oil Increases Good Cholesterol and Lowers Abdominal Obesity

Quote:
“[After one week,] only group C exhibited a reduction in [waist circumference]... Group S presented an increase... in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished ... Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.”
Hmmm...interesting. The "zero cholesterol" oil seemed to not help on waistline yet the coconut oil did.

Quote:
Chicken is not a rich source of omega-6, in fact, chicken has more saturated fat than omega-6.
Quote:
Some conventionally raised meats like chicken and pork are particularly high in Omega-6. If you want to bring your intake of Omega-6 down as much as possible, then it makes sense to choose the leaner portions of those meats.
How to Optimize Your Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio

Problem with eating the leaner portions is that you're now on a low fat diet.

Quote:
As I mentioned, if omega-6 fatty acids were indeed unhealthful you would see negative health consequences form eating nuts and seeds which tend to be high in omega-6. Per 100 calories, almonds have 4~5 times more omega-6 than chicken and almonds aren't even that high in omega-6 compared to other nuts and seeds. But you don't see negative consequences, instead eating nuts and seeds is associated with lower rates of heart disease.
Nuts offset the negative effects of O6 and they are consciously eaten in small enough quantities because people are still hooked on the low-fat fad, so they are limiting their portions of nuts. For different reasons, even the primal/Paleo folks agree on limiting portions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
For those citing the lipid hypothesis:

Let's look at the original hypothesized trend line:

Now let's add a few countries our esteemed "scientist" left out and observe that trend line.

Wait, not liking this trend line. Doesn't prove my theory. Try some other countries:

Hmm...I know, let's try some other countries and see if we can't get that trend line positive again.

Isn't that strange? Trend line seems to transform depending on which data is selected from his study. I wish when I was publishing that I could just as easily cherry pick data points and get my picture on Time magazine.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:02 AM

^ boom headshot!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Here's another interesting tidbit about beef tallow, originally put in McD's fries before "safer" trans fats were put in:

Quote:
Also, stearic acid is less likely to be incorporated into cholesterol esters. In epidemiologic and clinical studies, stearic acid was found to be associated with lowered LDL cholesterol in comparison with other saturated fatty acids.[8] These findings may indicate that stearic acid is healthier than other saturated fatty acids.
The old stuff was better than the new stuff.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
Low cholesterol is correlated with violent behavior and depression. Not exactly a state of mind that I prefer being in.
Many street drugs (and alcohol) and malnutrition will lower your cholesterol so an association between violent behavior and low cholesterol in a western country could occur but would not be causal. But low cholesterol is the norm for human populations, its only more recently that people have high cholesterol. If you look at traditional societies that have average cholesterol levels of around 140.

Quote:
Coconut oil is not "zero cholesterol", it is zero cholesterol. That's because it's more chemically stable at higher degrees. "zero cholesterol" oils are processed and are high in O6 fatty acids, which we get too much of in a standard Western diet anyway.
So coconut oil doesn't have cholesterol but its not a "zero cholesterol oil".....hmmm Okay.

Coconut oil is processed, after all, how else do you separate the oil from whole coconuts? But again, why would I want to eat some grease with no nutritional value?

Quote:
Coconut Oil Increases Good Cholesterol and Lowers Abdominal Obesity

Hmmm...interesting. The "zero cholesterol" oil seemed to not help on waistline yet the coconut oil did.
There is no link to a study in that article.

Quote:
Nuts offset the negative effects of O6 and they are consciously eaten in small enough quantities because people are still hooked on the low-fat fad, so they are limiting their portions of nuts. For different reasons, even the primal/Paleo folks agree on limiting portions.
Americans have never been hooked on low-fat diets, at no point in the last few decades have Americans reduced the total amount of fat in their diet.

So omega-6 is okay if its from nuts but bad if its from an oil? Hmm...okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
For those citing the lipid hypothesis:
Posting some graphs with no citations doesn't demonstrate anything, the lipid hypothesis has been studied over decades and there are numerous studies, of a variety of types, that have demonstrated a link between saturated fat intake and heart disease. The only thing that has changed more recently is that its now understood that what you replace saturated fat is important as well, namely, if you replace saturated fat with sugar and refined carbohydrates it doesn't result lower your risk for heart disease. On the other hand if you replace saturated fat with polyunsaturated fats in nuts, seeds, etc and fiber rich whole grains, legumes, etc it will lower your risk for heart disease.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Coconut oil is processed, after all, how else do you separate the oil from whole coconuts? But again, why would I want to eat some grease with no nutritional value?
The oil is retrieved through cold "process", meaning it is simply pressed out, cold without heat. You cannot obtain fat from corn, "canola", or vegetables without significant chemical processing.

You are confusing dietary cholesterol with cholesterol in your body. Ingesting dietary cholesterol can actually REDUCE your body's cholesterol. Additionally, you seem to consitently ignore how many saturated fats shift LDL from type B to type A which is entirely benign.

Here's your VCO pubmed article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15329324

Nut and veggie oils absolutely suck in comparison to olive, coconut, beef tallow, etc. Potentially cancer causing and no health benefit because nut and veggie "zero cholesterol" oils are extremely chemically unstable even under their smoke point.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15522837

Quote:
So omega-6 is okay if its from nuts but bad if its from an oil? Hmm...okay.
Correct. Nuts are eaten in small quantities but since you were incorrect about chicken not having significant amounts of omega-6, you have now been schooled on the subject.

Quote:
Posting some graphs with no citations doesn't demonstrate anything, the lipid hypothesis has been studied over decades and there are numerous studies, of a variety of types, that have demonstrated a link between saturated fat intake and heart disease. The only thing that has changed more recently is that its now understood that what you replace saturated fat is important as well, namely, if you replace saturated fat with sugar and refined carbohydrates it doesn't result lower your risk for heart disease. On the other hand if you replace saturated fat with polyunsaturated fats in nuts, seeds, etc and fiber rich whole grains, legumes, etc it will lower your risk for heart disease.
lol @ whole grains. A slice of whole wheat toast is the glycemic equivalent of a snickers bar with the fiber content of some flax seed. Personally, I'd opt for the snickers if I had a sweet tooth.

Saturated fat in beef tallow has been associated with lower LDL (wiki it also). Seems like the twilight zone doesn't it?

Of course I'm sure you're a proponent of cooking with "zero cholesterol" processed oils, but you didn't mention that because it wouldn't make your case particularly well.

You may have a point if someone completely cooked without any oils whatsoever, that it doesn't pose a risk. However, when you have Whole Foods selling carcinogens like canola oil on their "natural" shelves, you see the problem.

Last edited by saigafreak; 04-24-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Virgin Coconut Oil Prevents Blood Pressure Elevation and Improves Endothelial Functions in Rats Fed with Repeatedly Heated Palm Oil

Quote:
Nowadays, virgin coconut oil (VCO) has become popular due to its beneficial effects. VCO has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antipyretic properties [14]. VCO has been shown to decrease lipid levels in serum and tissue as well as LDL lipid peroxidation [15]. Consumption of VCO enhances antithrombotic effects related to inhibition of platelet coagulation and low cholesterol level [16]. VCO has been known to have higher antioxidant activity compared to refined coconut oil [17]. It has also been proven that VCO enhances antioxidant activity and inhibits lipid peroxidation in rats [18]. Therefore, it is of great interest for us to investigate whether VCO is able to prevent hypertension in male rats given repeatedly heated palm oil.
This is consistent with VCO lowering my LDL and raising my HDL. Carcinogen oils such as corn, canola, and veggie from the smoking process oxidize and help bring on hypertension in individuals. VCO and beef tallow do not because it is more stable at higher temperatures.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
The oil is retrieved through cold "process", meaning it is simply pressed out, cold without heat. You cannot obtain fat from corn, "canola", or vegetables without significant chemical processing.
You don't need chemicals to extract oils from seeds and nuts, canola is extracted from rapeseed and may or may not use chemical extraction depending on what you buy. But whether you're cold pressing, expeller pressing, using chemical extraction....its all processing and the end product is a grease product with little nutritional value.

If I wanted to eat coconut I would eat actual coconut or, at the very least, coconut milk. Why would I want to eat extracted coconut grease?

Quote:
This study has nothing to do with coconut vs vegetable oils, this study looked at virgin coconut oil in comparison to copro oil which is another type of coconut oil.

Quote:
Nut and veggie oils absolutely suck in comparison to olive, coconut, beef tallow, etc. Potentially cancer causing and no health benefit because nut and veggie "zero cholesterol" oils are extremely chemically unstable even under their smoke point.
The stability and smoke point of nut and vegetable oils depends on the oil. But, personally, I don't care much which grease product is the least bad.....they are all grease products with no nutritional value. But there is no reason to believe that coconut oil and beef fat are better alternatives.

Quote:
Correct. Nuts are eaten in small quantities but since you were incorrect about chicken not having significant amounts of omega-6, you have now been schooled on the subject.
Great, so people should eat nuts and seeds and avoid coconut oil. Sounds good.

You didn't "school" me on anything, only ~15% of the fat in chicken is omega-6. Chicken is richer in saturated fat and monounsaturated fat than omega-6.

Quote:
lol @ whole grains. A slice of whole wheat toast is the glycemic equivalent of a snickers bar with the fiber content of some flax seed. Personally, I'd opt for the snickers if I had a sweet tooth.
Actually its not. The snickers bar, due to all the grease in it, has a relatively low glycemic index. Whole grains have been routinely linked to lower rates of heart disease, type 2 diabetes......so I wouldn't concern myself with their glycemic index.

Quote:
Of course I'm sure you're a proponent of cooking with "zero cholesterol" processed oils, but you didn't mention that because it wouldn't make your case particularly well.
All oils are zero cholesterol and processed.....

Old 04-24-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
so I wouldn't concern myself with their glycemic index.
Until insulin resistance kicks in, then you have to worry about it.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You don't need chemicals to extract oils from seeds and nuts, canola is extracted from rapeseed and may or may not use chemical extraction depending on what you buy. But whether you're cold pressing, expeller pressing, using chemical extraction....its all processing and the end product is a grease product with little nutritional value.
The difference is that the end product is less stable under heat if it's artificial oil from nuts, rapeseed, or vegetables.

Quote:
If I wanted to eat coconut I would eat actual coconut or, at the very least, coconut milk. Why would I want to eat extracted coconut grease?
I guess if you never stir-fry anything on a skillet in your entire life, then you never need something good for you like coconut oil. Good point. Personally, I enjoy stir frying with non-cancer causing oils. If you bake everything dry and it works for you or just eat everything raw, then I guess you're good to go.

Quote:
The stability and smoke point of nut and vegetable oils depends on the oil. But, personally, I don't care much which grease product is the least bad.....they are all grease products with no nutritional value. But there is no reason to believe that coconut oil and beef fat are better alternatives.
It seems from the pubmed literature that VCO lowers LDL, raises HDL and doesn't promote cancer while carcinogen oils do the opposite especially when taken to above 350 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss