Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times

Advertisements

I can do pretty well with my eating up till dark. It just seems like during the evening is when I want to snack. I'd like to control my late night snacking.

Any suggestions? How do you control it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,446 times
I brush my teeth after dinner so there's no desire to eat anything, because then I'll have to brush again ha Works for me!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Can you eat your dinner later? How much protein are you eating at dinner, and how much fiber?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I brush my teeth after dinner so there's no desire to eat anything, because then I'll have to brush again ha Works for me!
Ha, great suggestion but I've tried that. It doesn't work for me. I eat anyway and then brush my teeth again.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Also how much are you eating the rest of the day? When do you start eating for the day, how many meals, what kinds of snacks? In addition, are you experiencing trauma or stress in your life that's making you turn to food as a way to self-medicate? Are you recently divorced/separated/broken up with someone, and now find yourself without a mate at night, when you had one previously? That might be a trigger to turn to food at night.

Is this something that's happened only recently, or is it an ongoing thing you've been doing for years and are just now wanting to change?

So many reasons WHY you might be craving food at night, and really you need to figure out why, before you can be successful in making the change. If it's just a habit, then you need to break that habit. If you are genuinely feeling hunger at night, then you need to look at the foods - and times - you are eating during the day. If it's stress, you need to address the stress and recognize it as a trigger for bad eating habits.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Can you eat your dinner later? How much protein are you eating at dinner, and how much fiber?
I do eat a lot of chicken for dinners. I love chicken. Can't say I eat a lot of fiber for dinner.

Lately I've been having a protein Slim Fast choc. shake for breakfast. I'm loving it because I actually get full from it and don't get hungry for 5-6 hours after drinking it. Maybe I should trying drinking one at dinnertime also.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also how much are you eating the rest of the day? When do you start eating for the day, how many meals, what kinds of snacks? In addition, are you experiencing trauma or stress in your life that's making you turn to food as a way to self-medicate? Are you recently divorced/separated/broken up with someone, and now find yourself without a mate at night, when you had one previously? That might be a trigger to turn to food at night.

Is this something that's happened only recently, or is it an ongoing thing you've been doing for years and are just now wanting to change?

So many reasons WHY you might be craving food at night, and really you need to figure out why, before you can be successful in making the change. If it's just a habit, then you need to break that habit. If you are genuinely feeling hunger at night, then you need to look at the foods - and times - you are eating during the day. If it's stress, you need to address the stress and recognize it as a trigger for bad eating habits.
Night time has always been my time to snack. Only thing different now is I'm getting older (lower metabolism) and having a total hysterectomy a few years back has aided in my putting on a few pounds that won't budge.

I exercise religiously. I love biking, jogging, weights and any type exercise so that's not my problem, it's the eating at night.

I usually wake up and have a yogurt, cup of oatmeal or a protein Slim Fast milkshake then maybe something light for lunch and then my bigger meal for dinner....something like a salad with strips of chicken or breast of chicken w/broccoli and that type thing.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I often chew on ice when I feel hungry. If that doesn't work I go for a walk. If I'm still hungry after walking I eat a piece of fruit.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,170 times
Most likely your "day meals" lack enough energy and/or nutrition and at night your body wakes up and doesn't let you fool it. I.e. you are probably starving yourself during the day and make up for it at night

Old 06-10-2014, 05:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Most likely your "day meals" lack enough energy and/or nutrition and at night your body wakes up and doesn't let you fool it. I.e. you are probably starving yourself during the day and make up for it at night
That's what I was thinking. The OP has started drinking a Slim-Fast every day after breakfast for a morning snack -

This is what you're consuming, OP:

Quote:
FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CANOLA OIL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, FRUCTOSE, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS), SODIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, VITAMIN E ACETATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K1), SODIUM SELENITE, CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B12), CHOLECALCIFEROL (VITAMIN D3). SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS. CONTAINS MILK AND SOY.
(from Creamy Milk Chocolate Protein Shakes | Slimfast - moderator, the above is only one sentence).

So what you're looking at is milk with one of its main functions - to provide the body with fat - stripped out. Then water, which you can get from the tap. Then sugar, alkalai-processed cocoa, oil added in, whey, sugar, a gum, sawdust, mono and di-glycerides which are really bad for you, more oil, more sugar, more sugar, aspartame, supplement multi-vitamin bits and pieces, and more sugar.

Basically - you're sucking down a glass of sugar with a multivitamin crushed into it. Pro-tip - it's intended to be a meal replacement, not a snack. So you're eating sugary stuff in the morning, drinking more sugary stuff mid-morning, eating "light" for lunch (what do you mean by light?), and eating lettuce with chicken strips for dinner.

You're starving yourself.

Get rid of the shake. If you really LIKE the idea of having shakes, then get 2 cups of ice cubes, half a banana, 5 strawberries, a cup of fresh kale, and a tablespoon of whey powder and blend it all up. No need to add any sugar at all, but if you STILL need sweetener, add a teaspoon of honey. You shouldn't need it though.

And that should be your breakfast, not your mid-morning snack after breakfast. Or skip breakfast and just have that smoothie in the mid-morning, if you're the type who can tolerate not eating when you get up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss