Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times

Advertisements

wondering about the nutrisystem diet wondering if the carb intake is too high.........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 07:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
If it's too high for what?

It's a restricted calorie diet, not a low-carb diet. They advertise "low-glycemic" carbs rather than "low-carb." So there's carbs - but they're the low-glycemic type.

If you're looking for a structured diet with foods that might or might not taste like anything that exists outside of a box, then Nutrisystem is as good (or bad) as any other.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If it's too high for what?
Many endocrinologists now recommend that diabetics restrict their carb intake, as well as the type of carb - not to lose weight but to stabilize their blood sugar. The research supports that approach, including research where the researcher expected a different outcome.

Researchers recommend carb restriction as primary method of diabetes control
A Low-Carbohydrate, Whole-Foods Approach to Managing Diabetes and Prediabetes
Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base

I have no clue about Nutisystem, as I am not familar with it. As a sufferer of Diabetes and Ulcerative Colitis who manages most of the time to keep both under control through a restrictive diet, on the other hand, those I can talk knowledgeably about all day. I have become more of an expert on the effects of diet on those two diseases than I ever wanted to be.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Many endocrinologists now recommend that diabetics restrict their carb intake, as well as the type of carb - not to lose weight but to stabilize their blood sugar. The research supports that approach, including research where the researcher expected a different outcome.

Researchers recommend carb restriction as primary method of diabetes control
A Low-Carbohydrate, Whole-Foods Approach to Managing Diabetes and Prediabetes
Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base

I have no clue about Nutisystem, as I am not familar with it. As a sufferer of Diabetes and Ulcerative Colitis who manages most of the time to keep both under control through a restrictive diet, on the other hand, those I can talk knowledgeably about all day. I have become more of an expert on the effects of diet on those two diseases than I ever wanted to be.

The OP didn't ask if it was too high carb for diabetics. He asked if it was too high carb. I'm asking him to clarify what he's trying to find out. If it's "is it too high carb for diabetics" then your point is well-taken and well-explained.

But seeing as how this is the diet/weight loss forum and not the diabetic forum, I'm not making assumptions and instead - I'm asking the OP to clarify.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The OP didn't ask if it was too high carb for diabetics. He asked if it was too high carb. I'm asking him to clarify what he's trying to find out. If it's "is it too high carb for diabetics" then your point is well-taken and well-explained.

But seeing as how this is the diet/weight loss forum and not the diabetic forum, I'm not making assumptions and instead - I'm asking the OP to clarify.
The title is: Nutrisystem question....Had any diabetics use this plan, do u think the carb intake is reasonable. It is more than clear that they are asking if diabetics have used Nutrisystem and if they thought it had too many carbs for a diabetic. I would not be surprised if they meant to ask about the diabetic version Nutrisystem has out. But seriously, if you just read the title alone the person is asking whether it has too many carbs for diabetics.

Part of the answer, by the way, is that the regular version definately does have too many.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I agree; the intent of the OP was obvious from the title. That said, I have little experience with Nutrisystem, but what I have seen is that the original plan is far too high carb for diabetics. I've never tried it in part because my budget cries when I look at the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss