Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,594 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have recently started to diet. I am 46yo, 210lbs and 5'11". My plan is to get around 175lbs.
I started the diet when I was at 230lbs and I have been losing roughly 2lbs per week.

My daily calories intake is around 1600cal, while burning around 400-500cal from walking and exercising (I walk 3.5 miles per day, every day. 14min/mile).
My intake consist on (roughly, but I measure everything I eat), 135gr of proteins, 45gr of fat, and 50gr of carbs. I eat 4 times a day, small portions; Tuna, boneless/skinless steamed chicken breast, low fat cottage cheese, whey protein powder shake (acts as a snack if I am hungry), eggs, lean beef, bananas, apples, low fat peanut butter (this last one usually at night if I am still hungry, 1-2 tablespoons)
I mix and match all of the above depending on the mood, and I make 4 meals out of them.

I am eating veggies occasionally, but mostly twice a week; broccoli, potatoes, and some wild rice.
I know that if losing 2lbs/week it means I am obviously doing something right, but I don't know if I am getting everything I SHOULD need when it comes to food.
Any advice?
PS: I didn't forget to mention any food I eat, everything I eat is on the list above.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am a man, not a woman, in case someone was wondering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollicino View Post
Hello,
I have recently started to diet. I am 46yo, 210lbs and 5'11". My plan is to get around 175lbs.
I started the diet when I was at 230lbs and I have been losing roughly 2lbs per week.

My daily calories intake is around 1600cal, while burning around 400-500cal from walking and exercising (I walk 3.5 miles per day, every day. 14min/mile).
My intake consist on (roughly, but I measure everything I eat), 135gr of proteins, 45gr of fat, and 50gr of carbs. I eat 4 times a day, small portions; Tuna, boneless/skinless steamed chicken breast, low fat cottage cheese, whey protein powder shake (acts as a snack if I am hungry), eggs, lean beef, bananas, apples, low fat peanut butter (this last one usually at night if I am still hungry, 1-2 tablespoons)
I mix and match all of the above depending on the mood, and I make 4 meals out of them.

I am eating veggies occasionally, but mostly twice a week; broccoli, potatoes, and some wild rice.
I know that if losing 2lbs/week it means I am obviously doing something right, but I don't know if I am getting everything I SHOULD need when it comes to food.
Any advice?
PS: I didn't forget to mention any food I eat, everything I eat is on the list above.

Thanks a lot!
The advice I give to everybody when this subject comes up:
Start with the old-fashioned "four basic food groups"-
Meat/protein/fish
Dairy
Grains
Fruits/Veggies

Choose low-fat options from the first three groups. Don't count calories, and if you know what an average portion is don't measure stuff either.

Eat 3 meals per day at regular mealtimes.
Drink water.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I would eat more veggies if I were you, they fill you up and they have fiber to keep things moving through your body like they're supposed to. Potatoes don't really count as a vegetable. Take a multivitamin too.

Your calorie and exercise plan looks a lot like mine...1400 calories for me because I'm female, and a little less protein, but otherwise pretty much the same. I lost 175lbs eating that way for a year.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
1. Your calorie totals look good, although the nutrient breakdown you listed only adds up to 1145 calories. You're losing weight at a good rate, though, so I wouldn't mess with the calorie totals.

2. You should be eating four or five servings of veggies every day rather than some veggies every couple of days. You're eating a lot of protein and almost no fiber. Eat more fiber and eat a wider variety of fruit as well.

3. If you're only consuming 1400 calories, don't waste some of that with something that has as little nutrition as a protein shake. You have to get as much actual nutrition as possible, and that means eating real food.

4. Eating small meals 4-5 times a day has no benefit over three larger meals.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:39 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
The advice I give to everybody when this subject comes up:
Start with the old-fashioned "four basic food groups"-
Meat/protein/fish
Dairy
Grains
Fruits/Veggies

Choose low-fat options from the first three groups. Don't count calories, and if you know what an average portion is don't measure stuff either.

Eat 3 meals per day at regular mealtimes.
Drink water.
Why would someone who is trying to lose weight not want to count calories? Calories in/out is the best predictor of weight loss.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:46 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollicino View Post
Hello,

Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I am a man, not a woman, in case someone was wondering
I would eat more vegetables if I were you.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 AM

19 posts, read 17,599 times
Hello,
first of all, it is great you made a decision to lose weight. I have read your post and I think you should consume like 2000 cal per day, considering you are a man. Also, eat at least 5 times per day, but the best would be 5-6 times, of course small portions. Drink alot of water, 2 litres per day. Include a lot of vegetables in your diet plan too.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
1. Your calorie totals look good, although the nutrient breakdown you listed only adds up to 1145 calories. You're losing weight at a good rate, though, so I wouldn't mess with the calorie totals.

2. You should be eating four or five servings of veggies every day rather than some veggies every couple of days. You're eating a lot of protein and almost no fiber. Eat more fiber and eat a wider variety of fruit as well.

3. If you're only consuming 1400 calories, don't waste some of that with something that has as little nutrition as a protein shake. You have to get as much actual nutrition as possible, and that means eating real food.

4. Eating small meals 4-5 times a day has no benefit over three larger meals.
On #3, I have to disagree. A protein shake is great. It's essentially pure protein and amino acids with very little fat and carbs, and if the the OP is using a casein or milk isolate protein instead of whey it will be an excellent meal replacement. It seems that the OP is actually getting a pretty balanced diet so a simple once a day multivitamin/mineral (which he should be taking anyways) will help to protect against any deficiencies.

On #4 I agree in a scientific sense as we know that multiple small meals have no TEF benefit, but in a practical sense some people find it easier to eat the smaller, multiple meals.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I would eat more vegetables just because they are filling and have a lot of nutrition. Also, why low-fat peanut butter? Instead, I would buy natural peanut butter that doesn't have any hydrogenated oils.

Otherwise, if this is working for you, stick with it. I would probably get bored without more variety, personally. If that happens, I personally think looking for primal/paleo recipes is a good way to go.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Pollicino,

The PBS TV station has excellent health shows that feature mostly medical doctors who have extensive training in nutrition. They are the real experts you can rely on. Although I watch them all, Joel Fuhrman is my favorite. His "3 steps to incredible health" program opened my eyes to so many things. If there is one thing I can recommend, please watch this show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss