Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,811,998 times

Advertisements

So went to my doctor today (who I think is great!) because of swelling and discomfort in my right leg. He examined the leg, and told me my MCL ligament was inflamed, and told me to just take Advil, and "lose a bit of weight" and I should be good. I'm not going to lie I have weight issues, but recently I lost a substantial amount of weight, and am not even really considered "overweight" anymore. I maybe at the high end of normal for my BMI (or within a couple of pounds of it), but I highly doubt my weight is the reason for the inflammation. Its just a bit frustrating when you put all this work into losing weight and maintaining it and then somebody tells you to lose weight ugh. In my doctor's defense I just recently started going to him, so he doesn't know about my previous weight loss.

Anybody ever have this happen to them, have your doctor tell you to lose weight, when you're for the most part within a normal weight range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
They work off of standard charts which compare the ideal weight for your height. If you are over that then you are still "technically" overweight.

As an example where the charts are not always correct would be body builders which "bulk up" their weight with extra muscle. The charts do not take that into consideration. I do not think this applies in your case?

I am overweight (about 30lbs) and my doctor never even mentions weight to me.

This calculator will tell you if you are overweight according to the "standard"

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator

Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
They work off of standard charts which compare the ideal weight for your height. If you are over that then you are still "technically" overweight.

As an example where the charts are not always correct would be body builders which "bulk up" their weight with extra muscle. The charts do not take that into consideration. I do not think this applies in your case?

I am overweight (about 30lbs) and my doctor never even mentions weight to me.

This calculator will tell you if you are overweight according to the "standard"

Calculate Your BMI - Standard BMI Calculator
Well the best part was I didn't even get weighed this visit, I mean chances are my weight is the same as the last time I went, but I didn't even see him glance at my chart when he said that, so he just said that by looking at me. I'm tall and fairly thin on top, however I am a bit bottom heavy, and have full legs, so perhaps he assumed I was overweight by looking at my legs since he was examining them. However as most people know, no matter how much weight I lose my legs will never be thin, because I am not built that way. Like I said, as for my BMI I am on the high end of normal, give or take a couple of pounds.

Also what annoyed me was he told me if I decided "start working out" for my new year's resolution, I would have to wear a knee brace. He just assumed I don't workout, which I do! I haven't in the past couple of weeks because I had pneumonia, and then the leg issue. But prior to that I was working out 3-4 times a week, I know I could do more, but to just assume I don't work at all, kind of annoyed me.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:50 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Have any of you had a doctor tell you to lose weight when you're not really overweight?

So went to my doctor today (who I think is great!) because of swelling and discomfort in my right leg. He examined the leg, and told me my MCL ligament was inflamed, and told me to just take Advil, and "lose a bit of weight" and I should be good. I'm not going to lie I have weight issues, but recently I lost a substantial amount of weight, and am not even really considered "overweight" anymore. I maybe at the high end of normal for my BMI (or within a couple of pounds of it), but I highly doubt my weight is the reason for the inflammation. Its just a bit frustrating when you put all this work into losing weight and maintaining it and then somebody tells you to lose weight ugh. In my doctor's defense I just recently started going to him, so he doesn't know about my previous weight loss.

Anybody ever have this happen to them, have your doctor tell you to lose weight, when you're for the most part within a normal weight range?
How do you know you are in the "normal" weight range? I dont think a doctor would say "lose weight" if you didnt need to lose weight. After all, you DID say that you "have weight issues". Some people just like to ignore what doctors say about weight. I have a friend who is probably 500 pounds who has a daughter who is 4 years old and well on her way to be obese, the pediatrician told her that her daughter is overweight and she said "Well I think the doctor is wrong, there is no way my child is overweight. She is just a healthy happy baby thats all". Its because she has an extremely skewed perception of weight because she's be "my 500 lb life" size for all of her life.

Just continue doing what you have been doing to lose the weight and you should be fine. Its more of an emotional hurt that you are experiencing right now than anything else. You probably are still overweight buts thats okay, just keep going until you are NOT overweight.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
How do you know you are in the "normal" weight range?
The BMI calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Just continue doing what you have been doing to lose the weight and you should be fine. Its more of an emotional hurt that you are experiencing right now than anything else. You probably are still overweight buts thats okay, just keep going until you are NOT overweight.
Even for someone a couple of pounds overweight at my age, probably wouldn't do much harm since I am in my early thirties. Also I have a clean bill of health, and even my doctor said I am an extremely healthy person, and that I should be very proud of that. I'm not saying I can't stand to lose another couple of pounds, because I definitely can and am working on it, but I don't think my weight is at the point where it's worth mentioning to me.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Even for someone a couple of pounds overweight at my age, probably wouldn't do much harm since I am in my early thirties. Also I have a clean bill of health, and even my doctor said I am an extremely healthy person, and that I should be very proud of that. I'm not saying I can't stand to lose another couple of pounds, because I definitely can and am working on it, but I don't think my weight is at the point where it's worth mentioning to me.
Is there a reason you did not mention your prior weight loss or your level of physical activity to your doctor? Is it a secret for some reason?

If you have joint problems, keeping on the lean side is advisable. That may mean you need to be on the low side of your BMI range. In this instance, it is the literal physical stress of the extra weight that is the consideration, not the metabolic effects of being overweight.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Is there a reason you did not mention your prior weight loss or your level of physical activity to your doctor? Is it a secret for some reason?

If you have joint problems, keeping on the lean side is advisable. That may mean you need to be on the low side of your BMI range. In this instance, it is the literal physical stress of the extra weight that is the consideration, not the metabolic effects of being overweight.
Had he explained it that way, it would've been a different story lol. You put it very nicely

I didn't mention my previous weight loss because he said it so quickly and then started talking about something else, that the moment kind of past and I felt silly mentioning it. Also I was in quite a rush to get back to work, and this doctor is quite a talker, so I was trying to get out of there as fast as possible. But yes I probably should have said something.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Thank you!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:19 AM

96 posts, read 78,481 times
I had a doctor tell me that if I ate better and lost some weight and started exercising my cholesterol numbers would come down (they are borderline high and I have a family history of high cholesterol). This was about 1 minute AFTER I told her that I was half way through training for my first marathon and that I was also involved in a work challenge to eat more veggies and whole grains, which should be easy for me since that's what I eat anyway. (and, they had weighed me at that visit so she knew I wasn't overweight).

Sometimes, I think doctors are so used to saying, if you eat better, exercise more, and lose a little weight your "problem" will go away. As a patient, I feel like it's my job to point out my habits, both good and bad, so that the doctor is sure to have the full story. Once I reminded her of my training/eating, she said, Oh, right, you did say that, sorry. And then went on to give me some good, useful advice.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,854,577 times
Quote:

Is it your leg or just the knee that's swollen?

Lots of info at this site on MCL ligament issues:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/001076.htm

It explains how doctors test for MCL issues, treatment, etc.

From what you've said it sounds like your doc might not have told you everything you can do for this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss