Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:35 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times

Advertisements

Ok in past I have taken off weight in short amount of time only to put it right back on.

My Trainer I tried having her put me on a diet where I was losing 2 pounds a week. She said no! She wanted me to only lose half a pound a week. Work out one and a half hour three times a week. I found I couldn't eat the amount of Calories she had for me so I readjusted to lose one pound a week. Eat pretty much what I want.

18% Protein 29% Fat 53% Carbs is what is recommended for my diet.

Every once in awhile I'll stay away from something because of the calories but not because it is going to hurt me calorie wise but because I find I really don't need it.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 03:36 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
Congrats on the weight loss and food planning Jrz! Sorry for your loss of your doggie though. We do become attached to the critters.

Now, as for moderation-I am finding MFP to be very helpful. I can see, in black and white, what I eat, and its effects on me and my health. Calories in/good fats/carbs/sugars =versus= what the scale says and how I feel.

I am not a junk food junkie. Have never been a snacker nor a soda drinker. Do not care for wine nor beer, nor other alcoholic beverages. Things should be easy...right?

My weight maintenance/loss delimma is is Hypoglycemia due to PCOS. And now, toss in a healthy dose of peri-menopause.
What worked for me before peri-menopause, no longer applies.
So I have had to experiment. What foods, when, what to eliminate, what to add. Oh, and throw in a new spouse who apparently also is Aspergers. He has very picky food issues, along with familial food sensitivities. I tried eating like him for about a year. Nope. Nope. And did I mention...nope?
Can't do it. Eating like he does, makes me sick.....and fatter.

So, back to ....oh...that's when I found MyFitnessPal. Back in 2013. And, my food scale.

I actually had us both losing weight, by weighing our foods consumed. But I was not progressing at all. I ended up getting a foot injury, so basically went back to eating whatever.

Moderation? MFP helps me manage that. If I am super hungry (thank you PMS ).....then I will eat. A horse or 3. But I can see how my metabolism is higher then too. So I drop calories back when I am done with the monthly mess.

I don't eat white bread. Nor white sugar. Limited white flour. Not a candy/cake/snack/chips/soda eater. I get fat, just eating healthy on 3 meals a day. But then, I am also 5'2", with both sides of the family having types 1 & 2 diabetes. My highest weight was 247, briefly, back in 2007. Scared the poo outta me too. Acid reflux, sleep apnea, etc. I got it back down after being at 247 for 2 weeks.

Now, at 54, still dealing with peri-menopause and all it's joys....I have gotten to 182.

How? I adjusted my eating. We have chickens. So we have eggs. Almost too many. I started eating my big meal in the morning. Scrambled eggs, or cheese omelet, with picante sauce. And a small carb. Wheat toast, or now, 2 biscotti. Chocolate. Of course.

I can keep the breakfast around 650 cals, as I eat around 5-6 am. If I can eat a lighter lunch, I will. A small sandwich, tuna salad-light, egg sandwich, small amount of leftovers.
Then, I cook supper-basically to DH's tastes. I will either eat what he is having, or maybe a big plate of steamed frozen broccoli with a protein.

I pretty much have to cut back on white potatoes. I get fat eating them. I also cut back on corn and corn products. I don't normally care for desserts. I no longer buy white sugar, just the light brown turbinado sugar. I find it causes less arthritic joint pain with no more white sugar.

Bottom line=myfitnesspal helps me manage moderation. I have just come to accept that as I age, I need to be way more careful of what I eat, when I eat it.
And drink more water. After a kidney stone back in 2011, I now make sure I drink at least 72 oz a day.

I have not yet incorporated an exercise routine back into my day. For a while, with the arthritis competing against the peri-menopause, it hurt to even turn over in bed. Now, I am at least able to walk and function like a semi-normal person again.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Congrats on the weight loss and food planning Jrz! Sorry for your loss of your doggie though. We do become attached to the critters.

Now, as for moderation-I am finding MFP to be very helpful. I can see, in black and white, what I eat, and its effects on me and my health. Calories in/good fats/carbs/sugars =versus= what the scale says and how I feel.

I am not a junk food junkie. Have never been a snacker nor a soda drinker. Do not care for wine nor beer, nor other alcoholic beverages. Things should be easy...right?

My weight maintenance/loss delimma is is Hypoglycemia due to PCOS. And now, toss in a healthy dose of peri-menopause.
What worked for me before peri-menopause, no longer applies.
So I have had to experiment. What foods, when, what to eliminate, what to add. Oh, and throw in a new spouse who apparently also is Aspergers. He has very picky food issues, along with familial food sensitivities. I tried eating like him for about a year. Nope. Nope. And did I mention...nope?
Can't do it. Eating like he does, makes me sick.....and fatter.

So, back to ....oh...that's when I found MyFitnessPal. Back in 2013. And, my food scale.

I actually had us both losing weight, by weighing our foods consumed. But I was not progressing at all. I ended up getting a foot injury, so basically went back to eating whatever.

Moderation? MFP helps me manage that. If I am super hungry (thank you PMS ).....then I will eat. A horse or 3. But I can see how my metabolism is higher then too. So I drop calories back when I am done with the monthly mess.

I don't eat white bread. Nor white sugar. Limited white flour. Not a candy/cake/snack/chips/soda eater. I get fat, just eating healthy on 3 meals a day. But then, I am also 5'2", with both sides of the family having types 1 & 2 diabetes. My highest weight was 247, briefly, back in 2007. Scared the poo outta me too. Acid reflux, sleep apnea, etc. I got it back down after being at 247 for 2 weeks.

Now, at 54, still dealing with peri-menopause and all it's joys....I have gotten to 182.

How? I adjusted my eating. We have chickens. So we have eggs. Almost too many. I started eating my big meal in the morning. Scrambled eggs, or cheese omelet, with picante sauce. And a small carb. Wheat toast, or now, 2 biscotti. Chocolate. Of course.

I can keep the breakfast around 650 cals, as I eat around 5-6 am. If I can eat a lighter lunch, I will. A small sandwich, tuna salad-light, egg sandwich, small amount of leftovers.
Then, I cook supper-basically to DH's tastes. I will either eat what he is having, or maybe a big plate of steamed frozen broccoli with a protein.

I pretty much have to cut back on white potatoes. I get fat eating them. I also cut back on corn and corn products. I don't normally care for desserts. I no longer buy white sugar, just the light brown turbinado sugar. I find it causes less arthritic joint pain with no more white sugar.

Bottom line=myfitnesspal helps me manage moderation. I have just come to accept that as I age, I need to be way more careful of what I eat, when I eat it.
And drink more water. After a kidney stone back in 2011, I now make sure I drink at least 72 oz a day.

I have not yet incorporated an exercise routine back into my day. For a while, with the arthritis competing against the peri-menopause, it hurt to even turn over in bed. Now, I am at least able to walk and function like a semi-normal person again.

Yeah, I just got a food scale so i can be more precise with my measurements - I hope I have similar success. My wakeup call was the day I tipped the scales at 200 lbs, after being under the impression that I was losing weight - in actuality I had gained 10 lbs!

I'm 40. I have a family with a history of arthritis. My mother has Type 2 diabetes despite being fairly petite. I need to get out ahead of this, because losing weight certainly isn't going to get easier.

I'm hoping one day i can reintroduce my favorite foods in moderation, but for now I avoid them like the plague for fear of "falling off the wagon." My roommate was frying some pierogie in butter last night, and I basically was like "I have to go downstairs to my office because right now I'm salivating" right in the middle of the conversation!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,711 times
I still cheat on the things I like. I just work them in to my daily calorie allowance...etc. Sometimes, I just need to have me a slice of pizza. ...or sumtin'

Last weekend, DH wanted pancakes. So...I made pancakes. He also wanted sausage, eggs, and of course the real maple syrup. I just eat a decent meal, and eat light the rest of the day.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
This thread is awesome I'm the say way I'm not a moderation gal. So my fix was to eat once a day which is very easy for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss