Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times

Advertisements

Kmb I know you tend to play the obtuse card, but think about this. Are you really implying that a reasonable calorie deficit will not help lose weight?

Look, the sun is hot. The sky is blue. The Pope is Catholic. To lose weight, eat less food than is needed to maintain to lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Kmb I know you tend to play the obtuse card, but think about this. Are you really implying that a reasonable calorie deficit will not help lose weight?

Look, the sun is hot. The sky is blue. The Pope is Catholic. To lose weight, eat less food than is needed to maintain to lose weight.

I was just stating what I've heard and asking how it works. I like to know how things work. I've seriously read stuff, weight loss advice, that follows this train of thought, and, although it seems counter intuitive, it seems somewhat convincing, to me since I don't really know the science, that vitamins and nutrients in food could be more important than the calories it contains. It also seems reasonable that a body that runs off of 1300 calories per day might eventually adjust to only needing 1300 calories per day as a survival mechanism, right? I'm, um, just confused, and, if I join a gym with a personal trainer, I kind of want to avoid being fed the latest baseless trend.

Last edited by krmb; 04-19-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 04:06 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I was just stating what I've heard and asking how it works. I like to know how things work. I've seriously read stuff, weight loss advice, that follows this train of thought, and, although it seems counter intuitive, it seems somewhat convincing, to me since I don't really know the science, that vitamins and nutrients in food could be more important than the calories it contains. It also seems reasonable that a body that runs off of 1300 calories per day might eventually adjust to only needing 1300 calories per day as a survival mechanism, right? I'm, um, just confused, and, if I join a gym with a personal trainer, I kind of want to avoid being fed the latest baseless trend.
Diets may change, fads come and go, the only constant is calories in vs calories out. Common sense should tell you to eat the most nutrient dense foods that are fresh and full of fiber. Lean proteins, good fats, whole grains, veggies and fruits. Lots of water.
When you work out make sure you are challenging yourself and not just dialing it in. Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Lift weights, HIIT, Tabata, body weight resistance train.
Its really just that simple.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
I'd skip exercise (for now) and clean up your diet. There is lots of room for improvement. Once you lose 40 pounds, then I'd start amping up exercise.
Why in the world should one skip exercise? Exercise should be a part of any plan right from the start. It is a great way to bolster self esteem, enhances weight loss, and the health benefits beyond weight loss are too numerous to count.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why in the world should one skip exercise? Exercise should be a part of any plan right from the start. It is a great way to bolster self esteem, enhances weight loss, and the health benefits beyond weight loss are too numerous to count.
He probably meant the "focus" on exercise. We all know that first and foremost is what goes into your mouth. I know someone who exercises a lot and their weight loss has been very slow, and that's because they're probably still eating too much.

The OP needs to realize that what she needs to focus on is her nutrition and getting it in check.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post

The OP needs to realize that what she needs to focus on is her nutrition and getting it in check.
Right, it's not that exercise isn't important, but the OP seems to think that it's going to be some kind of magic bullet. Exercise can do only so much in the face of this kind of diet:

Quote:
I overeat and eat a lot of junk food (i.e. chips, candy, ice cream, fast food, etc.) I also overeat on healthy food, like nutritional protein shakes (for instance, a large size is at least 500 calories, and I may get the large even after consuming my calorie requirement for the day).

In a typical day:

Breakfast: if I eat breakfast, it's usually something light, maybe granola and grains made into cereal with whole milk, left overs from dinner, or a slice of toast.

Lunch: I usually buy lunch out or eat in the cafeteria. Lunch usually runs about 600-800 calories when I eat out. The cafeteria food might be healthier; I'm not sure because I would feel weird about asking for the calorie count.

Dinner: I usually just get dinner out or just snack on things. I may have four or five bowls of granola cereal with whole milk, a piece of cake, some gummy candy, pretzel chips, etc., instead of preparing another meal. When I do prepare a meal, I usually eat on it multiple times.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:26 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Even half an hour of exercise/day would help, especially if you cut the junk food and emphasize protein and vegetables.
Yup. Take a walk and eat a healthy salad.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Yup. Take a walk and eat a healthy salad.
I only need to lose about 11 pounds, and keep it off, though. Really, I don't care if I stay the same weight or even gain more, as long as I lose the fat and start fitting into smaller sizes.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
I only need to lose about 11 pounds, and keep it off, though. Really, I don't care if I stay the same weight or even gain more, as long as I lose the fat and start fitting into smaller sizes.
So what did you do over the last 24 hours to help reach that goal? What will you do in the next 24 hours to reach it?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
It's mostly internet surfing, which might prove difficult to do on a treadmill. I could get a local gym membership for around $10 per month, but I don't like working out at gyms around people. I know from experience that walking is my best strategy. I just haven't taken the time to go for long walks. Sometimes, my feet and legs hurt when I'm on them for too long, so walking for long distances is sometimes quite uncomfortable. Another option would be investing in a small trampoline; they don't cost as much as treadmills.

Go to the gym and do weights. I went from a size 14 to a size 8 when I started going to the gym 5 days a week. At the time I was 46 and 5'1" tall and weighed 153 lbs. I had never been over 120 until I had my kids and over the years got up to over 150. I dropped to 128 lbs. in about 6 months and firmed up. I was working full time so it wasn't easy in the beginning getting up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym before work but it paid off and eventually I couldn't wait to go!

I also quit drinking soda, sugar, pasta and eating junk food. It's not easy especially with your schedule but you need to start taking care of your body now while you're still young. Would you put poison gasoline in your car and expect it to run efficiently? Stop putting poison into your body because that body has to last you another 50 years or so.

Good luck. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss