Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:06 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times

Advertisements

I work with someone who eats very little. He is literally rail thin. He counts how many nuts he is eating and NEVER joins in when someone brings something to work. He is really weird, when we have bagel day once a month for the ,outgoing medical students, this co-worker literally sneaks in and takes a bagel and rushes to his office. He didn't grow up poor and makes plenty of money so they aren't the reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 05:42 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Are you a young man? A lot of older people forget how much younger people eat. Next fiancé, get one with a bunch of brothers at home. Just enjoy your dad's company and eat more after you leave.
You could check your eating habits to make sure you aren't a glutton, and everyone is trying to get you to get the hint.
Eating full meals does not make one a glutton.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mother used to portion out our food in extreme ways. Dinner was a 2" square of meat or a chicken leg, 1/4 cup mashed potato and 1/4 cup peas and carrots. We never had breakfast and lunch was usually 2 slices of wheat bread, 1 thin slice lunch meat (the kind you could see through), 1/2 cup dry cheerios. We had to sneak food when we could. She was trying to make sure we didn't grow up fat like our dad. My siblings and I all have weight problems now. And my dad has dementia and can't sneak food anymore, so he's below 150 lbs for the first time in more than 50 years and all my mom can do is go on about how healthy his weight is.
That sounds awful.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
I have an aunt who eats one meal a day. Dinner and usually this is a one dish meal of noodles or stirfry.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have seen it a few times. I once had a very thin female friend who use to count out how many Cheerios she "allowed" herself to eat at breakfast (I believe that it was 12 Cheerios with 3 ounces of milk) and she was an adult woman! I was always hungry when I visited her.

I also visited a very close relative for a week, who was a vegetarian who did NOT believe in snacks, desserts or eating anything between meals. I was constantly hungry and ended up losing five pounds that week. Next visit, I brought extra food in my suitcase and made sure that we went to dinner more often (where I could eat as much as I needed to eat).

Neither case was to save money, they just assumed that everyone else ate the same amount of food that they ate each day.
Well, they're probably not nearly as active as you are which isn't that surprising. I mean, you were running a 2,500 calorie deficit a day while you were visiting your close vegetarian relative. I'd probably have grabbed a bite here and there while you were out doing whatever you were doing, assuming she wasn't driving along next to you on your daily 20 mile run or whatnot which would just be weird.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have seen it a few times. I once had a very thin female friend who use to count out how many Cheerios she "allowed" herself to eat at breakfast (I believe that it was 12 Cheerios with 3 ounces of milk) and she was an adult woman! I was always hungry when I visited her.

I also visited a very close relative for a week, who was a vegetarian who did NOT believe in snacks, desserts or eating anything between meals. I was constantly hungry and ended up losing five pounds that week. Next visit, I brought extra food in my suitcase and made sure that we went to dinner more often (where I could eat as much as I needed to eat).

Neither case was to save money, they just assumed that everyone else ate the same amount of food that they ate each day.
If you visit someone and they don't have the food you like ( or food period!) head to the store and buy some for yourself. Why would you walk around constantly hungry?? Go to the store!

My kids eat differently than I do so when I visit for a long weekend, I either bring my own stuff or we go shopping when I get there. It's not a big deal. When they come visit me, I ask them what kind of stuff they won like and I buy some..if we run out..we go back to the store.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Eating full meals does not make one a glutton.
I'm just asking if it's a possibility. We don't know if OP is normal weight, or if he isn't.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:46 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I had a coworker who measured everything. She had successfully lost about 60# a few years before, and wanted to stay thin. She looked kind of unhealthy, really, but she counted her calories carefully, and that was the system that works for her. She was pale and had dry hair and was always freezing cold, so I doubt if her diet was very healthy.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you visit someone and they don't have the food you like ( or food period!) head to the store and buy some for yourself. Why would you walk around constantly hungry?? Go to the store!

My kids eat differently than I do so when I visit for a long weekend, I either bring my own stuff or we go shopping when I get there. It's not a big deal. When they come visit me, I ask them what kind of stuff they won like and I buy some..if we run out..we go back to the store.
Some people are weird about what you can bring into their home or letting you cook there, even if they don't cook at all.

I have a list of foods that can't come into my house but that's for different reasons.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 528,221 times
I do the 16/8 intermittent diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss