Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM

597 posts, read 667,265 times

Advertisements

I get so frustrated sometimes with my fitness, especially as I'm getting older. It's not absolutely horrible, but it's not where I want it to be and could be a lot better. Exercise generally isn't an issue - I do a lot (lift some, run, walk, bike, tennis) - something everyday, though I often wonder I need a more focused fitness plan. And, sitting at a desk all day doesn't help.

Diet goes in cycles - can be good for a while, then not so good, and occasionally bad.

I know what I need to do, and I know where I can improve and what some of my big downfalls are. So, I'm not really looking for fitness/diet advice.

I'm looking for motivation - I want to hear from people who really work hard to stay fit because the NEED to. They don't have the youth or genes to get away with not being diligent - so they are, and it gets results. I was always stocky, stumpy, thick waist, broad shoulders and would always put on weight fast. So, I can get frustrated by looking around at people who have naturally high metabolisms, naturally thin builds, and can get away with doing less, cheating more (I realize there are plenty of people with both - advantageous genes and work very hard and eat well).

So, I just want to hear from those for whom the penalty for poor or inconsistent fitness/diet is stark, yet they do what they need to do and stay at a fitness level they're happy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Motivation?
Well, you could picture yourself in a nursing home at only 75 and 3 xs a week
you're in a class working up to 3 lb weights to lift over your head....and it's hard.
And women really don't like pot bellies....men don't like 'em either.
Hope that helps.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
After a certain age, especially for women, staying in shape is like Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the hill. If you slack off, its going to roll right back down.

I believe you can find a balance if you are reasonable about your goals. I do not have the same goals as I did when I was 30, 40, or even when I turned 50 when I did a triathlon. I am 55 and I no longer have the desire to prove anything to myself. But I do need to watch what I eat, keep my calories in check, eat healthy food and exercise regularly. But not as hard.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:28 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I work hard because I have chronic health problems (HBP and OA) and don't want any more. Nothing motivates you more than your health when you age.

Maybe that's why I know this time I will NOT regain any lost weight because I fought very hard to get my results and hell will freeze over before I allow myself to get to where I was before.

I wasn't gifted. My physique has been earned by working out religiously 4 days per week and watching what I eat..most of the time. I'm no size 2, but who cares. I'm more muscular, leaner, and fitter than ever, in my 40s.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:58 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
I have to work hard, and I do it out of vanity. I'm over 50 but still have a few good years before I'm completely covered in wrinkles. I'm single so I probably have more motivation due to vanity than the average happily married woman would.

I also feel better mentally and emotionally when I'm at a decent weight. I usually walk for exercise, at least 45 minutes 6 days a week. The walking also improves my mood.

When I first lost the weight, I could have a couple normal meals and dessert each week. But now I can only have a couple per month or my weight goes up. I have a hard time with that. It doesn't feel fair. But I do it anyway just to look attractive for a few more years.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
For me, the realization that diet, was going to be 90+ percent of what keeps me healthy and at my ideal weight. That acknowledgement made me step-up my eating-game and ditch most of the poor habits I have developed over a lifetime......my eating is very disciplined now. I allow myself 2 cheat-meals a week, and that is it as far as off-plan eating goes......3 meals a day and no other calories. I am a physically weak person and excess weight really kicks my butt.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I work hard because I have chronic health problems (HBP and OA) and don't want any more. Nothing motivates you more than your health when you age.

Maybe that's why I know this time I will NOT regain any lost weight because I fought very hard to get my results and hell will freeze over before I allow myself to get to where I was before.

I wasn't gifted. My physique has been earned by working out religiously 4 days per week and watching what I eat..most of the time. I'm no size 2, but who cares. I'm more muscular, leaner, and fitter than ever, in my 40s.
Same here. I have health issues, Type 2 diabetic, higher blood pressure and need to keep these under control - great motivator. I too know how much work it takes to lose weight (I lost 60 lbs, took a few years to do it) so when it creeps up even a few I tighten up. I exercise every day, doing something. I am now in my late 60s. People are usually surprised at my age because while I don't necessarily look like a young woman, my body shape is good (almost hourglass) and energy is vibrant which give the perception of "youth". It is motivating to keep ones health, especially as we age. And the work becomes much harder, so better to get where you want to be and KEEP IT THERE, or as they say it can be a "hard row to hoe."

Old 06-08-2017, 09:26 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I have to work hard, and I do it out of vanity. I'm over 50 but still have a few good years before I'm completely covered in wrinkles. I'm single so I probably have more motivation due to vanity than the average happily married woman would.

I also feel better mentally and emotionally when I'm at a decent weight. I usually walk for exercise, at least 45 minutes 6 days a week. The walking also improves my mood.

When I first lost the weight, I could have a couple normal meals and dessert each week. But now I can only have a couple per month or my weight goes up. I have a hard time with that. It doesn't feel fair. But I do it anyway just to look attractive for a few more years.
Vanity is the reason almost everyone has, wether they admit it or not. I credit my vanity for keeping me in excellent health.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I'll bite I work out 5 - 6 days every week, either an hour of weight training or 50 minutes of high exertion aerobics. I eat 3 meals a day, the only snacks I may have is a piece of fruit or a yogurt. My meals are basically breakfast: egg on whole grain bread or cereal with no sugar added and fruit; Lunch is usually a sandwich (whole grain bread with turkey, chicken or tuna with fresh spinach, onion, tomato). Dinner is usually fresh fish, chicken, occasional red meat, with fresh greens, squash, avocado, sometimes potato, or rice. My biggest offender to weight loss - I usually have one to two glasses of wine with dinner.

I lose zero pounds. By BMI standards I'm 15 pounds overweight. I have tried increasing my work outs, stopping alcohol, not eating after 5 pm. Nothing resulted in losing so much as 1/2 pound. So yes, I understand being annoyed...

Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I'll bite I work out 5 - 6 days every week, either an hour of weight training or 50 minutes of high exertion aerobics. I eat 3 meals a day, the only snacks I may have is a piece of fruit or a yogurt. My meals are basically breakfast: egg on whole grain bread or cereal with no sugar added and fruit; Lunch is usually a sandwich (whole grain bread with turkey, chicken or tuna with fresh spinach, onion, tomato). Dinner is usually fresh fish, chicken, occasional red meat, with fresh greens, squash, avocado, sometimes potato, or rice. My biggest offender to weight loss - I usually have one to two glasses of wine with dinner.

I lose zero pounds. By BMI standards I'm 15 pounds overweight. I have tried increasing my work outs, stopping alcohol, not eating after 5 pm. Nothing resulted in losing so much as 1/2 pound. So yes, I understand being annoyed...
if you eliminate / cut back on alittle of the wine and make a concerted effort to eat far fewer rice potaoes and bread ... I bet you lose those 15 lbs over a 3-4-5 month duration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss