Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
45 to 65% is fine. Just don't eat the extra 500 calories a day more than you need. Whether or not you lose less, more or none on 100 or 50 grams just depends what you replace the carb calories with.
Are you trying to convince me? I did state that the "recommended" wasn't working. You can obviously believe anything you want, I couldn't care less. The proof is in the pudding however and the current state of health in the country speaks volumes. As a country, we consume way too much glucose (carbs). Diabetes and obesity are epidemics and it's happening for that reason. I could go into why but I won't bother. Some people will never get it. I shoot for 10% of calories from carbs, that's what I would recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 10:33 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I drink lots of water.

I am active.

I eat a variety of food from all macros.

I eat sweets regularly, but in controlled amounts.

I am attuned to my body.

I don't deprive myself.

I cut myself some slack if I'm having a "bad diet day". Thankfully, those random days are few and far between.

I've cut down on mindless eating.

that's what I do.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Are you trying to convince me? I did state that the "recommended" wasn't working. You can obviously believe anything you want, I couldn't care less. The proof is in the pudding however and the current state of health in the country speaks volumes. As a country, we consume way too much glucose (carbs). Diabetes and obesity are epidemics and it's happening for that reason. I could go into why but I won't bother. Some people will never get it. I shoot for 10% of calories from carbs, that's what I would recommend.
No, that would be a waste of my time.

As a country we consume way too many calories. A lot of those extra calories do tend to be carbs. I just put the blame where it belongs. Too many calories. Glucose and carbs aren't the same thing. All glucose is a carb, but not all carbs (or even sugars) are glucose.

Weight isn't the cause of diabetes. It's a risk factor. Carbs don't cause obesity. Eating too much does. There's at best a weak correlation between high carb intake and diabetes. Sugar, yes, but not so much for carbs in general. It's weak at best with just as many studies showing no correlation as a weak one.

Again, you're perfectly free to recommend things. I'll just point out that there's a lack of scientific basis when there isn't one. My recommendation would be not to eat too much, not to eat too much sugar, and to get regular exercise. Getting no more than 10% of your calories from carbs more or less takes care of not eating too much sugar but isn't necessary. It does nothing for not eating too much and getting regular exercise. And then there's genetics. But you can't do anything about that one. Even if you don't eat too much, don't eat too much sugar, and do get regular exercise you can still end up getting diabetes.

At the end of the day, eating a balanced, healthful diet is more important. 65% carbs is fine, but if that's mostly potato chips and sodas it's not healthful and balanced. It's just junk food. It won't make you fat in and of itself, but junk food doesn't have much nutritional value so if that's where the bulk of your calories are coming from there's a high likelihood that you're malnourished even if you eat too many calories and are also fat.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-04-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 01:55 PM

^^ I was using glucose as a generic term. Once carbs enter the bloodstream they become glucose. With a number of important exceptions, carbohydrates, or foods derived primarily from plant sources that are starches, grains, and fruits, have the same ultimate effect on blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates are chains of sugar molecules. The carbohydrates we eat are mostly chains of glucose molecules. The shorter the chain, the sweeter the taste. Some chains are longer and more complicated (hence, “simple” and “complex” carbohydrates), having many links and even branches. But simple or complex, carbohydrates are composed entirely of sugar.

So, you are leaving at least one very important factor in all of your "wisdom" and that would be hormones. Number one on that list would be insulin. One of the functions of insulin is to regulate blood glucose which is stored in the cells as glycogen. The cells have a limited capacity and unless you "burn" some of this glycogen, the excess is stored as fat. Insulin plays a part in this process. Consumption of carbs, raise blood sugar levels which in turn triggers a release of insulin. The mere presence of insulin prevents fat burning. Low carb consumption has the opposite effect, blood sugar stays low, insulin levels drop and another hormone called glucagon increases. Now, instead of the body storing fat, it burns it. THIS is the MAIN reason low carb diets work. I say main because yes, calories still matter but to a lesser degree. So no, not all calories are the same. Saying it a million times still does not make it true.

So no, 65% is not good. It's more than the body needs if you are sedentary and unless you burn it on a regular basis with exercise you will have a very hard time losing weight.

Did you know that white bread and potatoes spike blood sugar more than actual table sugar?

Old 11-04-2018, 04:54 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
^^ I was using glucose as a generic term. Once carbs enter the bloodstream they become glucose. With a number of important exceptions, carbohydrates, or foods derived primarily from plant sources that are starches, grains, and fruits, have the same ultimate effect on blood glucose levels.
Well, for one "carbs" don't enter the blood stream at all. Only fructose and glucose. They get broken down into glucose. Technical correction.

Quote:
So, you are leaving at least one very important factor in all of your "wisdom" and that would be hormones. Number one on that list would be insulin. One of the functions of insulin is to regulate blood glucose which is stored in the cells as glycogen. The cells have a limited capacity and unless you "burn" some of this glycogen, the excess is stored as fat.
Of course. But that's not a problem. The body constantly stores and burns fat. When you eat excess fat, guess where it goes? Fat. When you eat excess protein, guess where it goes? Fat. Non-issue. It's how we work.

Quote:
Insulin plays a part in this process. Consumption of carbs, raise blood sugar levels which in turn triggers a release of insulin. The mere presence of insulin prevents fat burning.
Sort of. The body always produces a base level of insulin and glucagon which are the primary regulators of metabolism. When blood sugar is high, however, more insulin is produced. When blood sugar returns to normal insulin and leptin levels fall and fat burning resumes. Normal cycle, not that interesting.

Quote:
Low carb consumption has the opposite effect, blood sugar stays low, insulin levels drop and another hormone called glucagon increases. Now, instead of the body storing fat, it burns it. THIS is the MAIN reason low carb diets work.
Except that a calorie is a calorie. Fat is even more easily stored as fat than glucose, meaning it takes less energy to store fat as fat than uptake glucose into cells, break them down and restructure them into fat, and then send them back out to be stored as fat. Same with proteins. Excess proteins are broken down into fatty acids and get stored directly in fat cells if there's an excess.

Quote:
So no, 65% is not good. It's more than the body needs if you are sedentary and unless you burn it on a regular basis with exercise you will have a very hard time losing weight.
Fine for sedentary people. Just need to be isocaloric. That allows the normal function of the body to work without gaining weight. Eat lots of carbs, produce insulin, store as fat, burn stored fat, eat more carbs, store more fat, burn fat, eat more carbs, store fat, burn fat. It's what the body does day in, day out. It's quite good at it.

Now take away the carbs. Eat excessive calories. Store some, burn a bit less, store some more, burn a bit less, get fat.

Don't eat excess calories. The body is very good at storing fat. It's very good at burning fat. If you store more than you burn, you'll get fatter. Don't store more than you burn. How? Don't eat more than you burn.

edit: The monkey wrench is exogenous insulin. Androgynous insulin only has a half-life of about 6 minutes, so this normal cycle happens very quickly. Exogenous insulin, however, has to last much longer. It wouldn't be any fun to keep injecting yourself every five minutes after all.

Quote:
Did you know that white bread and potatoes spike blood sugar more than actual table sugar?
Assuming you're eating the same calories of potatoes and sugar, yes. It's pretty obvious if you think about it and understand how carbohydrates break down. Potato breaks down into glucose and off to the blood stream. Sucrose (table sugar) on the other hand is 1:1 glucose/fructose. It breaks down to glucose and fructose, and off to the blood stream they go. Key word is they. Most of the fructose enters the blood stream as fructose, which rather obviously has no impact whatsoever on blood glucose seeing as how it is not glucose.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-04-2018 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Except that a calorie is a calorie. Fat is even more easily stored as fat than glucose
Yeah, I guess that's why all the Keto dieters are gaining weight like crazy?

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do. The evidence is clear, regardless of how much you want to stick your head in the sand about it. Keto is low carb HIGH fat, and fat contains MORE calories than carbs per gram. Show me where Keto dieters are getting fat.

Oh and by the way, Carbs and Fat combined are even worse than carbs by themselves. You take carbs out of the equation and you don't get fat. In fact, you could eat pure fat and not get fat.

A calorie is not a calorie, I can also repeat it over and over. 500 calories from ice cream do not have the same effect on our body as 500 calories of steak. The difference between the two?

Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I think it's established that if one eats more than what one's body needs, regardless of its source, he/she will gain (fat) weight. Even keto dieters have to make sure that they are in a deficit if they expect to lose.

Just eating something with carbs absolutely doesn't make you fat. That's a fallacy. Just like eating fat doesn't make you fat. Overeating makes you fat. Period, end of sentence.

There's no magical macro out there, where you can eat eat eat and nothing happens if you eat too much. I've eaten lots of carbs and don't gain, why's that?

Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's why all the Keto dieters are gaining weight like crazy?

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do. The evidence is clear, regardless of how much you want to stick your head in the sand about it. Keto is low carb HIGH fat, and fat contains MORE calories than carbs per gram. Show me where Keto dieters are getting fat.

Oh and by the way, Carbs and Fat combined are even worse than carbs by themselves. You take carbs out of the equation and you don't get fat. In fact, you could eat pure fat and not get fat.

A calorie is not a calorie, I can also repeat it over and over. 500 calories from ice cream do not have the same effect on our body as 500 calories of steak. The difference between the two?
You cannot change thermodynamics. If you eat more calories than you can burn you will gain weight. If you eat less you will lose. The reason Keto works is that is satiating so people do end up eating less. The initial weight loss I dramatic then it levels off. If people can handle the strictness of the diet for the long term they will maintain because it is really hard to over eat when you are consuming so much fat.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You cannot change thermodynamics. If you eat more calories than you can burn you will gain weight. If you eat less you will lose. The reason Keto works is that is satiating so people do end up eating less. The initial weight loss I dramatic then it levels off. If people can handle the strictness of the diet for the long term they will maintain because it is really hard to over eat when you are consuming so much fat.
So say you.

So here's a couple of questions.

1. What's the difference (metabolically) between 500 calories of ice cream vs 500 calories of steak?

2. Can you explain why keto diets work? and I'll give you a hint, it's not reduced calories and it's not about being satiated and eating less. You assume that's what it is but you really don't know, do you?

3. Oh, if you can, back that up with a non-biased source of information. I see you chime in a lot and ask others for the corroborating evidence, so I'm asking you for the same.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Be faithful in Limiting Carbs.
I believe this is absolutely right and it also keeps me from craving sugar and pretty much anything for the first time in my life.

Last edited by 4dognight; 11-05-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss