Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:25 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not telling anyone NOT to eat bread....it's what I did and what is working for me$#####

Anyone can eat what they want...I ate my lbs of bread in my life, and it does not suit me anymore>>>

And going gluten free as best I can is My Decision for me.....I really don't care about the 99%.
Then perhaps you should preface your comments with that because I have seen you tell people to not eat any bread or other carbs if they want to lose weight. And again, gluten is not the big bad bugaboo people claim in to be so maybe you should just point that out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
3 meals a day and no other calories and I do my best to avoid junkfood.
Everyone is different. In these posts I think we had three different ways that work for people. Dieting is so individual. There is no right way, there is only the way that works for you. Some its low carb, others its calorie counting. I think the one thing that works for everyone is that no matter what way you choose, is making sure you are eating whole, fresh foods and avoiding junk and prepackaged foods.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I have a more in depth response but what you're going through is a similar tale of many who have ridden the diet carousel. What you are battling now is the mental aspect. Firstly what does "full" mean to you? Is it the beginning of being stuffed or simply sated. If you are full then why do you continue to think about food? Have you been depriving yourself thereby increasing the cravings? Why did you go back to old habits? Are you in fact hungry? If you are truly hungry by all means eat. But if you're not don't. Sound simple I know but it's not. I've found that if my mind is occupied with other things I'm not thinking about food. When I helped my mom move awhile ago I was so busy that I didn't even think about eating for hours. Mindless eating can creep into your life subtlely.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
^^ Just another fad diet. Drinking healthy smoothies doesn't make you lose weight.

Eat less. Exercise more.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I eat so-called good food, not junk. But evidently I eat too much good food. And I get hungry even when I know my stomach is not hungry. So what do you do to stop the desire to eat when you know you should have had enough?
The best thing I did was read a book called Plant Paradox and adopt the diet plan recommended. I had a target of losing 40 lbs. and I've done it...now 11% bodyfat and 45% muscle (I'm male and these numbers are fantastic).

One trick I have done that really helped was just skipping dinner. If I'm hungry, I snack on good fat foods before going to bed. The rationale for this is why do you need food energy right before going to sleep?

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The best thing I did was read a book called Plant Paradox and adopt the diet plan recommended. I had a target of losing 40 lbs. and I've done it...now 11% bodyfat and 45% muscle (I'm male and these numbers are fantastic).

One trick I have done that really helped was just skipping dinner. If I'm hungry, I snack on good fat foods before going to bed. The rationale for this is why do you need food energy right before going to sleep?

Good luck!
I went vegan last year for about 3 months. Its was great. I lost the 10 pounds I had put on over the year and I had tons of energy. You would think that would be enough for me to stick with it. I struggled with the limited choices. I bought 3 great cook books and got very creative. But I am an omnivore and that is my comfort zone. and I am perfectly fine with it. It was more of an experiment anyway.

I think anyone who wants to explore plant based diets will be happily rewarded.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I went vegan last year for about 3 months. Its was great. I lost the 10 pounds I had put on over the year and I had tons of energy. You would think that would be enough for me to stick with it. I struggled with the limited choices. I bought 3 great cook books and got very creative. But I am an omnivore and that is my comfort zone. and I am perfectly fine with it. It was more of an experiment anyway.

I think anyone who wants to explore plant based diets will be happily rewarded.

Ironically I think you are on the wrong track here. Plant Paradox talks about how some plants can be bad for you and make you gain (or not lose) weight. Plants with lectins. Such as peanuts, beans, potatoes, tomatos. I had heard this theory before in the blood type diet book. Which turns out -- I just don't like foods with lectins and rarely eat them anyway so it would make no difference for me.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
I agree with the person who said to make sure you're getting your vitamins. Our bodies give us cravings to eat whatever contains the micronutrient it is missing, even when we're already full.

If it's just habit to eat more, then as soon as you've eaten a reasonable portion, try brushing your teeth with a very strong minty toothpaste. Or rinse with a strongly flavored mouthwash. That interrupts the impulse to eat past satiety for me.

Find a hobby that requires you to use your hands. If you're doing needlework or scrapbooking or sewing you keep both hands too busy to eat. If you find something you really enjoy, that will keep your mind busy too and off of food.

If you use artificial sweeteners, you might try eliminating them. I discovered they were causing cravings and phantom hunger in me. When I finally buckled down and eliminated them, maintaining my loss got 80% easier.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Ironically I think you are on the wrong track here. Plant Paradox talks about how some plants can be bad for you and make you gain (or not lose) weight. Plants with lectins. Such as peanuts, beans, potatoes, tomatos. I had heard this theory before in the blood type diet book. Which turns out -- I just don't like foods with lectins and rarely eat them anyway so it would make no difference for me.
I eat something on your list every single day. I don't eat potatoes because they have too much starch which causes cravings for me. I maintain my weight pretty easily, so I think that lectins are an individual thing. It certainly wouldn't hurt to eliminate them for a while to see if you're sensitive to them.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:24 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

Good luck!
A good friend is involved with this book and she brings me articles and discussions on lectins. Food lists with and without lectins in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss