Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 02:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
If I fast for 18 hours and then eat in next 8 hour window, what does that mean?
It simply means that you fasted for 18 hours and then ate for 8! Great job fasting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Fasting schedules are based on a 24 hour day so if you fast for 18 that leaves 6 to complete the day. Then it starts all over again.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:

It means you can't count, LOL.

After fasting for 18 hours, there's only 6 hours left in the day for you to eat. Then you start over again the next day.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Hello CityDatatians,

So I'm just meddling around watching Youtube and this commercial comes on with this guy that has ripped abs. He puts on a demonstration with hot frying pan and melting butter. So the guy claims that an idea called "intermittent fasting" is the key to weight loss and burning fat.

So basically that's his whole play. He preaches that if you wake up in the morning, not to pile on breakfast but to wait till around noon so that your body burns stored calories (fat) between that 7am-ish to noon time when you do eat lunch. Basically that's what he describes as intermittent fasting which he does claim, will lose you weight quickly.

Ok, so the guy is no expert. I do not see any credentials, or experience of him helping folks with this method so my bull**** meter is wayyy high. But of course, as always, I'll leave it up to discussion.

If you're with me and feel this is horse manure and just another money-making scheme weigh in. If on the other hand, you do believe he's onto something, also lay down your thoughts, comments, e.t.c

HS
Well, I tried it in January because I'm pretty thin, but I wanted to lose 5 pounds, and they came off like melted butter, so to speak. I kept it up another month and lost another 7 pounds and then I was getting TOO thin so I stopped. But I didn't pay anyone anything! There's no need to pay someone to time your meals differently than you're used to. I just read a lot of articles about it by personal trainers, etc.

The main reason I did it was that I had a bad habit of eating after dinner. Healthy snacks like Greek yogurt and a handful of nuts, but that's a lot of calories added up over a month.

So I started eating dinner at six, skipped breakfast, and ate lunch at noon. Had pretty large, but healthy meals, and an afternoon snack like a Greek yogurt/almond milk/blueberry smoothie. Didn't count calories at all. Tried to keep sugar to a minimum, but didn't go low-carb or anything - I love my complex carbs.

I don't do it routinely, but if I start occasionally munching too much at night, I do it to break that habit.

I know I could just not eat after dinner and then eat breakfast, but it really works better for me if I don't eat in the morning. Because that way not only am I reducing the night-time calories, but getting the excess caloric burn by fasting.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:19 PM

57 posts, read 60,205 times
Default It's working for me but...

Hi, I tried an eight hour daily feeding schedule for a year - and only lost a modest 5 pounds. However, my blood pressure improved. So, perhaps the easy 16/8 feeding plan might be disppointing. Of course, everyone is different. Starting 53 days ago I switched to the much harder 20/4 plan, a four hour daily feeding window. I've lost another 7 pounds for a 12 pound weight loss overall. I've also gone down two pant sizes. I'm now 5 foot eight inches, weight 155, waist size 36, age 70, blood pressure 110/70. I'm eating breakfast at 6.00 am then my final meal - lunch - at 10 am. After that only unsweetened cofee and tea. Difficulties - around day 45 I had constipation and some stomach upset but that has passed. I do get hungry around 7 pm but it passes. Frankly, this plan is getting easier with time. My goal is to continue the 20/4 plan for the rest of my life. I believe that in order to get permanment weight change you need to have permanment habit change. I don't calorie count. However I don't always eat everything on my plate - I stop eating when full. I also eat basically no junk food - zero, but I've done that for years. I've read many articles and watched youtube videos. That helps with my motivation. I weigh myself dialy on the same time every morning. I celebrate every time a reach a new weight record. I'm actually happy with my weight now but I'd like my waist size to be 34 inches or lower. In addition to my feeding plan I also try to get two hours of exercise daily. I use a step counter and average 10000 steps a day. My suggestion - first try the easier 16/8 plan. If you don't lose enough consider switching to the much harder 20/4 plan. Do your own research. Do a google search on fasting, using the news option. This is a red hot research area.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:39 PM

165 posts, read 241,247 times
What if there is a research tomorrow saying that fasting harms the body or that has bad effects in long run by body holding to the available food and making people extremely obese etc. Nobody has studied long term effects of this yet.

They did similar thing with egg yolk.. in 70s science proved that egg increases cholesterol and bad for heart, but later after several decades they found out that egg doesn't impact the cardiovascular health in negative way and a nutrition powerhouse.

Same thing could happen to fasting too.. the same science may come back and say, sorry we were wrong on that for fasting after studying long term effects of it. How do you expect to react to that..

Old 10-28-2018, 07:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
What if there is a research tomorrow saying that fasting harms the body or that has bad effects in long run by body holding to the available food and making people extremely obese etc. Nobody has studied long term effects of this yet.

They did similar thing with egg yolk.. in 70s science proved that egg increases cholesterol and bad for heart, but later after several decades they found out that egg doesn't impact the cardiovascular health in negative way and a nutrition powerhouse.

Same thing could happen to fasting too.. the same science may come back and say, sorry we were wrong on that for fasting after studying long term effects of it. How do you expect to react to that..

'Eat a hearty breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day...Don't skip meals, it'll cause you're body to go into starvation' type of person.

All that's been proven wrong. Worry about those people who still spout that nonsense.

I love intermittent fasting. And not even as a way to lose weight. For the energy. The focus. For the fact that when I do eat, no matter what it is, it tastes so damn good, because I'm actually hungry.

All this despite what Karen's husband says.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:23 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
And as far as 'no long term research' on fasting.. Thats just not true. I'm not sure why you're making that claim.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 AM

57 posts, read 60,205 times
Default Evidence

Quote:

Yes, nutritional research keeps evolving. Old advice is proven wrong. What is increasingly becoming evident is that the standard advice of eat less and exercise more doesn't work for most people. And, if dieters lose weight short term the vast majority will regain it within five years. Sorry folks.

The new thinking is that when you eat may be as important as what you eat - that is, intermittent fasting or time restricted feeding. What is the evidence? For mice, the data is unambiguous. Restricting their eating window to eight hours makes them lose weight and live longer. Although we are not mice we share 96 percent of their DNA.

For humans we know that their biomarkers improve - blood sugar is lower, insulin is lower, blood pressure is lower. What about longer term? A seven year follow up of breast cancer survivors showed those that fasted 13 hours or longer each night had 36 percent less breast cancer recurrence than those whose nighttime fasting was less than 13 hours. Also, “In multivariable linear regression models, each 2-hour increase in the nightly fasting duration was associated with significantly lower hemoglobin A1c levels (β = −0.37; 95% CI, −0.72 to −0.01) and a longer duration of nighttime sleep (β = 0.20; 95% CI, 0.14-0.26).” Prolonged Nightly Fasting Cuts Risk for Breast Cancer Return.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

Old 10-28-2018, 07:31 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Agree on this. If there is one lesson I have learned in my years.. it is how people will lie to push something that is good for them. So much in the health world is just bull. So "studies" are rather meaningless for me. But what does get my attention is:

(1) It simply makes sense that as hunter gatherers we would not have access to food like we do now-- 3 meals per day. We likely would get up... hungry, and have to go out and hunt food, and then feast for a few hours and then, sleep. So all the food would likely be in a small window naturally. It is similar to animals... they don't eat three meals a day. That is a construct of modern life.

(2) The fact that "fasting" has been promoted and talked about in various religions for many many years indicates that it has not been shown to be harmful before and likely helpful.

These two facts make me want to give fasting the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss