Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 PM

158 posts, read 494,168 times

Advertisements

Basically,

I keep trying different diets, weight watchers, slimming world ect.
Everytime i start a new diet, I find myself fixated around food! Yet when I wasnt dieting I didnt really have a real care for food, just ate at breakfast, dinner and lunch. Wilst on these diets however, after eating breakfast i would be thinking about what to make for dinner ect..

I just want to know what are the best things to eat which are good for you and help you to loose weight?
I dont eat unhealthy, id say im pretty healthy. I dont eat junk food (as i live in the middle of nowhere and theres no fast food places to eat for miles around) and mainly eat food like chicken, typically fajitas, stir frys (fav bein sweet n sour!), chicken with rice or pasta or potatoes.. I never fry my food, if I do i only every pan fry using frylite.. So i never have a lot of oil or fat in my diet.. So why the hell am I not some kind of skinny bean like i used to be?!

I am on the contraceptive jab.. Does that make a huge difference to putting on weight?! And before you even contemplate the idea NO im not pregnant lol!

I just need some pointers in what im doing wrong, or more to the point how to eat better... What kinds of veg do what ect..

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM

14,571 posts, read 23,114,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
Basically,

I keep trying different diets, weight watchers, slimming world ect.
Everytime i start a new diet, I find myself fixated around food! Yet when I wasnt dieting I didnt really have a real care for food, just ate at breakfast, dinner and lunch. Wilst on these diets however, after eating breakfast i would be thinking about what to make for dinner ect..

I just want to know what are the best things to eat which are good for you and help you to loose weight?
I dont eat unhealthy, id say im pretty healthy. I dont eat junk food (as i live in the middle of nowhere and theres no fast food places to eat for miles around) and mainly eat food like chicken, typically fajitas, stir frys (fav bein sweet n sour!), chicken with rice or pasta or potatoes.. I never fry my food, if I do i only every pan fry using frylite.. So i never have a lot of oil or fat in my diet.. So why the hell am I not some kind of skinny bean like i used to be?!

I am on the contraceptive jab.. Does that make a huge difference to putting on weight?! And before you even contemplate the idea NO im not pregnant lol!

I just need some pointers in what im doing wrong, or more to the point how to eat better... What kinds of veg do what ect..

Thank you all!
There could be any number of reasons why you aren't losing weight.

When you went on your previous diets, were you seeing results? How much do you weigh now, and how much do you want to lose? Are you exercising? If so, what kind of exercises are you doing and how frequently?

The trick to losing weight is knowing what diets and exercise plans work and following them. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but you need to pick a way to do it and follow that.

Give us the answers to those questions and we'll point you in the right direction.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,886,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post

Once you find out what these things are, will you continue to eat them and keep the weight off, forever?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 PM

15 posts, read 34,732 times
Once you figure how your body reacts to certain foods and diets then it becomes easy to manipulate your weight. After years of being a trainer and experimenting with myself, I can now change my body composition any time I want depending on what my goals are. You learn to listen to your body after a while and you what to feed it and when.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM

522 posts, read 1,858,434 times
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from processed foods and eat lean cuts of meat. But of course, portion control is very important.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM

158 posts, read 494,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There could be any number of reasons why you aren't losing weight.

When you went on your previous diets, were you seeing results? How much do you weigh now, and how much do you want to lose? Are you exercising? If so, what kind of exercises are you doing and how frequently?

The trick to losing weight is knowing what diets and exercise plans work and following them. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but you need to pick a way to do it and follow that.

Give us the answers to those questions and we'll point you in the right direction.
Well right now I weigh 11 stone. I want to loose about 3 stone. I walk my dog 3miles everyday and thats about it in terms of exercise.
I wasnt really seeing an incredible results on my diets that I went on. I dont eat any processed food and I would say I have a balanced diet.
Breakfast: bran flakes
Lunch: chicken and pasta in low fat creme frechie and low fat may
Dinner: Some kind of meat, pork, beef, chicken with vegs(usually potatoes with some kind of veg or salad, stir fry vegs)

Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 PM

37,722 posts, read 46,173,141 times
Walking the dog 3 miles will burn about 300 calories. You eat that much in oh, about 30 seconds. You really need to increase your exercise, and start journaling what you eat so you'll have a better idea of what changes to make.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,886,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Walking the dog 3 miles will burn about 300 calories. You eat that much in oh, about 30 seconds. You really need to increase your exercise, and start journaling what you eat so you'll have a better idea of what changes to make.

The amount of exercise required to counter the excess calories is never enough. Besides, for every five calories you burn exercising you become six calories hungrier.

Exercise or no exercise, It all comes down to discipline not to eat.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,781,941 times
I would definitely take up more activities. Basically you want to fill up your time with things to do so you are not thinking about eating. When you have more free time, that is going to be a detriment to your diet. Along that line, eat foods that basically fills you up without too many calories, like high fiber fruits/veggies or whole grain items. Eat slowly, masticate extra-long. The longer you chew the less desire you have to eat.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,246,078 times
One thing that helps me tremendously is to journal my food intake......I use the computer program FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal (some people prefer Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate). Set goals for how much protein, carbs, calories, you are going to limt yourself each day. The program also has a graph for charting your weight loss that I find motivational. I myself set my goals at 60-100 grams of protein a day; less than 50 grams of carbs a day (and that is only GOOD carbs (greens, beans, etc)....I completely eliminated all white (EVIL) carbs such as rice, potatoes, pasta, white bread, corn. (you can increase the good carbs when you've lost all you want to lose); limit fat in your foods; drink at least 64 oz of water/tea a day (eliminate all soda's and alcoholic drinks); and, of course, some exercise every day.
That has worked well for me (lost over 150 lbs so far) and for a number of my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss