Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times

Advertisements

I was told by one nutritionist to buy foods which are 30% fat calories or less to total calories. I did that 10 years ago and lost weight...

Recently I have been gaining weight again and need to loose about 30 lbs. or 40 lbs... Another nutritionist told me that there should be 1g fiber to each 5g carbohydrates. And THAT was most important. So I switched to food with that on the label and I GAINED 10 POUNDS!

I started examining the nutrition labels on my new "whole grain" foods (like bread) and saw they were in some cases TWICE the calories! (Like regular white bread.)

So dumb question...

If regular white bread is 70 calories and "whole grain" bread is 140 calories, wouldn't the better choice for weight loss be the lower calorie (70) regular white bread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM

50,808 posts, read 36,501,346 times
It depends. On weight watchers, things with more fiber are less points. But really, you can find both. I buy Fiber One white with added fiber, it has 100 calories and 8 grams fiber per slice, and the slices are ginormous. You need to compare, read the labels and look at everything, calories, fat, fiber and sugar.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,853 times
Diet coke has zero calories. By your logic you should just drink that stuff and you'll be in great shape in no time.

Counting calories is bull****. The white bread might have less calories but also less nutritional value so it will leave you more hungry and in the end you'll eat more. That's why most fad diets don't work.

Prefer less to more refined/processed foods and try to eat a varied diet.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:55 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
I avoid grains altogether, don't even miss them. It is a fallacy that the human body requires grains, whole or refined.

Here's what I'd be thinking - if the advice I'm given causes me to accomplish the opposite of what I've set out to do, then that's not good advice.

What do you really want to eat? What does your body crave? Which food, after having consumed it, makes you feel full of vitality? Which makes you feel like taking a nap? Listen to your own body - everyone's system is unique.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
It's important to have some fiber to keep the bowels moving, but some of the whole grain stuff is a lot higher calorie.

It might work better to try limiting bread, pasta, rice and starchy veggies (like potato) and eat mostly lean meats and veggies.

There's no magical number like 5 grams carbs for every 1 gram fiber or 30% fat that will take the weight off without you having to count calories or exercise.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
You do not need to overthink the food you eat. If you eat a balanced diet of whole fresh foods from ALL the food groups, avoid processed and fast food, and limit sugar intake you will be fine. No need to eliminate any food group - thats all nonsense.
WW is great because you can eat what you like, you just need to stay within the point (calorie) parameters.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I was told by one nutritionist to buy foods which are 30% fat calories or less to total calories. I did that 10 years ago and lost weight...

Recently I have been gaining weight again and need to loose about 30 lbs. or 40 lbs... Another nutritionist told me that there should be 1g fiber to each 5g carbohydrates. And THAT was most important. So I switched to food with that on the label and I GAINED 10 POUNDS!

I started examining the nutrition labels on my new "whole grain" foods (like bread) and saw they were in some cases TWICE the calories! (Like regular white bread.)

So dumb question...

If regular white bread is 70 calories and "whole grain" bread is 140 calories, wouldn't the better choice for weight loss be the lower calorie (70) regular white bread?
Why are those the only two choices? Why not - have just half a portion of whole grain? Or maybe no bread at all, and eat a portion of oatmeal instead? Or no oatmeal or bread, and have a banana?

Stop dissecting your food and learn how to eat it.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:27 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Recently I have been gaining weight again and need to loose about 30 lbs. or 40 lbs...

So dumb question...
First of all you need to LOSE about 30 lbs.......LOSE LOSE LOSE One O!!! <end rant>

Regular white bread will probably only keep you feeling full for only a short time, while whole grain bread will keep you feeling full much longer, plus it's more nutritious, so win-win.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,670 times
Quote:
The better choice is "no bread".

But seriously, the solution has already been stated: eat whole foods, avoid or limit the processed ones. The rest takes care of itself.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
No. If the bread slices were the same size this would just mean that the white bread is more fluffy which will have little effect on your appetite. Eat 100% whole wheat bread, eating whole grains has numerous health benefits where as the white bread not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss