Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

We've all heard that it's better to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day than 3 big ones and the reasons why (faster metabolism, appetite control, prevention of muscle loss, etc.). And even though it's a lot of work, I've done this and gotten great results. But lately, I've been drinking green tea because of its antioxidants and supposed metabolism-boosting effect. One other benefit I've noticed from it as that it suppresses my appetite, which I'm sure is a big reason why it's recommended for weight loss. But my problem is that I'm no longer hungry when it's time to eat my next meal. I know it's bad to leave long gaps between meals, but I also think it's bad to eat when you're not hungry. After all, isn't that one reason so many people are overweight? The green tea has been so effective that I can eat breakfast at 7 and not be hungry until 12, even 1 on some days. My breakfast is healthy, but not large. I eat 2 scrambled eggs with some veggies mixed in along with a bowl of berries mixed with nuts. So not the kind of breakfast that would make me feel stuffed or want to take a nap. Which is better? To only eat when I'm hungry, even if I don't get hungry for 5 or 6 hours OR to eat every 3-4 hours, even if I'm not hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
I'd say that's a pretty big breakfast that probably should keep you from being hungry until at least Noon regardless of the green tea.

I agree with you that it's counter-productive to eat when you're not at all hungry, although to me, the point of eating more frequently is to keep from becoming "very" hungry, which leads to over-eating.

If green tea keeps you from being hungry enough to eat 5-6 times a day, cut back to 4 times a day and lengthen the span between meals. Just don't allow yourself to wait between meals long enough to become really hungry. Once you start to feel hungry, eat something.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
I like the idea of a 4 -5-6 small meals a day. Your breakfast is about what 2 meals would be for me. I like to eat a small serving of fruit for those 'in between' meals. This keeps me from getting 'very' hungry as Intown has posted but keeps me satisfied. Plus I know the fruit is good for me. Took me a long time to learn this enough to actually put it in practice. Good luck to you. Try the 4 small meals. Just might be what you're looking for.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Fewer, larger meals key to weight loss? – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I eat 3 meals a day and have a snack after exercise....eating 5 or 6 times a day would be a pain. I don't want to think about food or preparing something to eat all the tine. I eat a hearty breakfast (oatmeal, nuts and seeds, almond milk and a whole grapefruit), a hearty lunch (our main meal) and a green smoothie for dinner.....I have lost all the weight and then some and have kept every ounce off for over 6 months.
I eat tons of vegetables...I love them and they make me feel full.....so along with lean protein and some fruit (not too much), some grains (not too much), I eat at least 10 servings of vegetables a day....mostly raw. I eat as few processed foods as possible. No sugar, little bread, no added oil or fat, just what is naturally contained in whole foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss