Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times

Advertisements

During a trip to the pet store I saw this mammoth beef bone from Dentley's

Since my 8mo lab is a compulsive chewer (nothing he's not supposed to chew, thankfully) I thought it would be a good idea to grab him one of these mammoth beef bones which is slow roasted/smoked to give him something else to chew. Once he realized what it was there was no stopping him from tearing pieces of meat off the bone and licking around.

I have been researching what he is supposed to do exactly with the bone (chew? lick? eat? what??) and I see overwhelming feedback on NOT to feed dogs these kinds of bones. Is this true? I know they can splinter and get stuck inside the dog but we give it to him only under supervision. People also refuse to give their dogs rawhide so I'm not sure how much weight it should hold... our dog gets ample amounts of rawhide and has no problems.

He started to gag a bit after a while so we took it away and it's sitting in our storage room until another day where we are home. Is this thing just not safe at all and should I toss it right away? Did I waste 12$?

Don't feel like giving the dog something potentially harmful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I wouldn't feed it. Bully sticks are natural and much, much safer. The large ones from Merrick can keep your dog busy for hours!

Merrick Pet Foods - Dog Treats (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/treats_detail.php?c=21&s=15060 - broken link)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM

How long do those last?

Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
They splinter so they are not safe. I am not sure why they are still around as so many dogs get injured or die from those!

Raw bones are like candy to a dog and we have our butcher keep some on hand once a month for our dogs. They work great although I prefer that they chew them outside on our porch. We also use the sterilized stuffed bones (my dogs love peanut butter) or get the empty ones and put a nice natural peanut butter in them and freeze it. Definitely a good treat for the summer. The stuffed ones aren't the healthiest (they usually have corn syrup added) but they defnitely satisfy the chewing behavior. I would stay away from nylabones as I have known too many dogs to break teeth on those. We also get stingray tails and bully sticks for them to chew. All are like dog crack.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM

So the consensus is to trash it and buy a bully stick? We don't really have butchers around here that will save bones and stuff.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So the consensus is to trash it and buy a bully stick? We don't really have butchers around here that will save bones and stuff.
You would be surprised. Even the butchers at our regular grocery stores will keep some to the side if we request them to. I just like giving business to the little guy and found a good butcher shop. A lot more expensive though.

Be careful with the bully sticks. Some can stink to high heaven. So, try a few brands (they are expensive too - just warning you) but for most dogs they last a while. Sterilized bones last longest in our house and don't stink. Deer Antlers work well too. Just try a few things at a nice pet supply store. I would avoid PETCO and Petsmart for those as they have the stinkiest bully sticks IMO.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
During a trip to the pet store I saw this mammoth beef bone from Dentley's

Since my 8mo lab is a compulsive chewer (nothing he's not supposed to chew, thankfully) I thought it would be a good idea to grab him one of these mammoth beef bones which is slow roasted/smoked to give him something else to chew. Once he realized what it was there was no stopping him from tearing pieces of meat off the bone and licking around.

I have been researching what he is supposed to do exactly with the bone (chew? lick? eat? what??) and I see overwhelming feedback on NOT to feed dogs these kinds of bones. Is this true? I know they can splinter and get stuck inside the dog but we give it to him only under supervision. People also refuse to give their dogs rawhide so I'm not sure how much weight it should hold... our dog gets ample amounts of rawhide and has no problems.

He started to gag a bit after a while so we took it away and it's sitting in our storage room until another day where we are home. Is this thing just not safe at all and should I toss it right away? Did I waste 12$?

Don't feel like giving the dog something potentially harmful.

Thanks.
Bones are fine as long as they are raw. Boiled or cooked bones are dangerous, I don't know about smoked... It is wasteful because you paid $12 for a $0.50 bone.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
If you have a kroger, HEB, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc. etc. you have a butcher who will have SOME kind of cheap bone.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
You would be surprised. Even the butchers at our regular grocery stores will keep some to the side if we request them to. I just like giving business to the little guy and found a good butcher shop. A lot more expensive though.

Be careful with the bully sticks. Some can stink to high heaven. So, try a few brands (they are expensive too - just warning you) but for most dogs they last a while. Sterilized bones last longest in our house and don't stink. Deer Antlers work well too. Just try a few things at a nice pet supply store. I would avoid PETCO and Petsmart for those as they have the stinkiest bully sticks IMO.
IIRC the only stores around are PetCo and Petsmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Bones are fine as long as they are raw. Boiled or cooked bones are dangerous, I don't know about smoked... It is wasteful because you paid $12 for a $0.50 bone.
Eh what are you gonna do. I heard smoked is bad due to bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
If you have a kroger, HEB, Safeway, Whole Foods, etc. etc. you have a butcher who will have SOME kind of cheap bone.
I'll try that.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
How long do those last?
The ones I posted are the Merrick Flossies. They last quite a while with my boys. The regular bully sticks are just long tendons. Some dogs take their time, others go through them quickly! The best place to order these from is Best Bully Sticks online. They don't treat their things with chemicals and offer low-odor ones, if it bothers you that much. I personally don't buy the low-odor ones, since my boys love the smell and I don't want to take that away from them!

Bully Sticks – Bully Sticks for Dogs – Best Bully Sticks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs