Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,809,779 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a five year old mixed dog. We believe she is husky, shepherd, and greyhound. The dog is fairly well trained but still pretty stubborn and independant. The dog has never shown any real aggression except for some rough playing where she would accidentally bite my hand while playing tug of war or scratch me with her claws. She would occasionally put her mouth over my hands while playing but would never really bite down.

So three weeks ago my wife and I brought home our newborn. Ever since then the dog has been neglected and it's been nearly impossible to give her any attention at all. To make up for not taking her for walks we have began letting her run around outside at night for several hours to get some exercise. This doesn't appear to be enough though.

We usually have to put the dog in her kennel when we leave the house because otherwise she will get up on all of our furniture (and shed fur all over it) or string the trash all over the house. The dog has spent minimal time in her kennel lately because my wife has been home on maternity leave.

Today while my wife was attempting to put the dog into her kennel while she went out for lunch the dog ran away and refused to be put in there. Finally she managed to get a hold of the dog and the dog made a strange noise, opened her mouth, and put her teeth on my wife's hand. She didn't bite her but it was the next closest thing possible.

What do we do? Before anyone suggests putting the dog in the backyard instead of the kennel, we can't do that during Alaskan winters. It also appears as if the dog isn't injured in any way, as I'm aware dog's can sometimes bite if they are hurt.

Do we allow the dog time to see if it's just stressed out and it passes. Will the dog get more aggressive? Is it worth even letting it play out with a newborn in the house? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
My wife and I have a five year old mixed dog. We believe she is husky, shepherd, and greyhound. The dog is fairly well trained but still pretty stubborn and independant. The dog has never shown any real aggression except for some rough playing where she would accidentally bite my hand while playing tug of war or scratch me with her claws. She would occasionally put her mouth over my hands while playing but would never really bite down.

So three weeks ago my wife and I brought home our newborn. Ever since then the dog has been neglected and it's been nearly impossible to give her any attention at all. To make up for not taking her for walks we have began letting her run around outside at night for several hours to get some exercise. This doesn't appear to be enough though.

We usually have to put the dog in her kennel when we leave the house because otherwise she will get up on all of our furniture (and shed fur all over it) or string the trash all over the house. The dog has spent minimal time in her kennel lately because my wife has been home on maternity leave.

Today while my wife was attempting to put the dog into her kennel while she went out for lunch the dog ran away and refused to be put in there. Finally she managed to get a hold of the dog and the dog made a strange noise, opened her mouth, and put her teeth on my wife's hand. She didn't bite her but it was the next closest thing possible.

What do we do? Before anyone suggests putting the dog in the backyard instead of the kennel, we can't do that during Alaskan winters. It also appears as if the dog isn't injured in any way, as I'm aware dog's can sometimes bite if they are hurt.

Do we allow the dog time to see if it's just stressed out and it passes. Will the dog get more aggressive? Is it worth even letting it play out with a newborn in the house? Any suggestions?
From what you have said, I'd quess its lack of attention and exercise that is creating the problem. I'm assuming that this is your first child (congratulations by the way). Its common for dogs to react to the change in the house that is created by bringing a new baby home. New sounds, new smells and its people are suddenly acting in a way they have never seen before. More than anything, please do not leave the baby alone with your dog until proper introductions can be made. Also try and find some time regularly to spend with your dog. It needs some attention too! You have turned its world upside down and it doesn't understand what is going on. I think with patience and return of routine in the house, you will find that your dog calms down too.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,877 times
Putting him out in the yard is not what I would consider exercise. He needs to be taken for walks. Doing some ob training will tire him out more then just running around outside. I also would not let him near the baby until he can be trusted. He may start resenting the baby if your giving all your attention to the baby and now he isn't getting any.

Start doing NILIF so that he knows your in charge. You should be able to put him in the crate without any issues. But most of all, he needs attention and exercise.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Putting him out in the yard is not what I would consider exercise.
We don't put her out in the yard for exercise. I'm talking leash free full access to hundreds of miles of land. And when she gets outside she runs full speed for very long periods of time, then returns home a few hours later.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
More than anything, please do not leave the baby alone with your dog until proper introductions can be made.
We've already done that, and will continue to do so probably permanently. The dog makes constant attempts to lick the baby's face. Nothing we've done will get her to stop.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
I wonder if she feels like she's being "shut out" from you when she's outside for so long, when she didn't used to be? I see how it's good for her to run and burn off energy but if possible maybe you could give her more, shorter, outside breaks.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
It probably wasn't the best idea in the world to abandon crating entirely when your wife was home on maternity, because it disrupted the routine. I'm a teacher, and accordingly have some multi-day breaks where I'm home with the dog during the work day. I learned that I still needed to build in some crate time, where I go and run errands, etc., because if I forego the crate for a series of days, he's resistant to it when it IS time to go back in. Your dog may need to be resocialized to the crate...almost like crate training all over again.

I second that big atmosphere changes are hard on dogs. Our dog senses the smallest changes, like one of us being a bad mood, even. Something large and altering is likely to throw a dog.

I also second that you need to build in dog time...it's not fair to completely revoke all previous attention the dog was getting pre-baby. Some time when it's just your wife's quiet time with the baby, maybe you get in some dog-time. Then, when it's your time to be with the baby, have your wife spend some time walking the dog.

My brother and SIL had a pretty dominant, territorial dog before they had kids (a shiba inu). When my nephew was born, they were worried about him (the dog) being aggressive. It's been fine, though. The dog mostly steers clear of my nephew (shibas are typically not tolerant of toddler-aged kids), but there were never any problems. However, this dog did not lack for any attention, even after the baby came home...if he had, there surely would have been behavioral consequences.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,877 times
Quote:

Quote:
We don't put her out in the yard for exercise. I'm talking leash free full access to hundreds of miles of land. And when she gets outside she runs full speed for very long periods of time, then returns home a few hours later.
I was just going by what your first post said.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,678,637 times
The dog is trying to tell you shes not getting enough attention and exercise.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM

173 posts, read 542,268 times
Immediately find a dog behaviorist. These things are far easier to deal with if dealt with quick, and the consequences if there is escalation are serious. Realizing that there might not be one down the street, you may be able to deal with one by phone or internet using video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs