Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:13 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

I took my mother to Wal Mart to pick up her prescriptions and as we're leaving my brother said " Oh No, there's a dog in that car." There the dog was with the windows rolled down about 3 inches on the passenger side and about an inch and a half on the drivers side. Both back seat windows were closed. It was about 75 degrees and we were getting hot waiting in the car with the windows open but with the sun shining through the windshield.
There was a woman parked nearby who looked to be watching the dog and my brother walked over to make sure it was okay. It was a chihuaha and it was barking but didn't look to be in distress, no panting. At least it was out of the sun on the passenger side. The car was in a handicapped spot so I had to wonder how long the person was going to take. Those scooters mover very slow and the people who use them are generally never in a hurry.
My brother told the parking lot cart gatherer to have them page the owner to get their dog out of that car( they do allow dogs in the store if they're on a leash, Wal marts a pushover to accomodate people). He told them inside but who knows if they'd do anything. Again, Wal mart is a pushover and won't risk offending anybody.
I know if it was hotter and the dog was in real distress I'd have broken the window of the car. So please tell people to leave their dogs at home now that its getting warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Yea, people aren't the brightest. I went to visit my husband at the hospital on Friday and got there around 10 am. The car parked next to me had a small dog in the car and windows rolled up, but I figured they'd be right back. Nope, I left the hospital at 12:30 and the dog and car are still there. The poor thing was panting and just laying there in distress. It was 90 degrees that day and when I turned on my car, the internal temperature was 107 and climbing. People suck, I notified security and they called the police. I just don't understand what people like that get out of bringing their dog along, only to make it sit in a sweltering car.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
..........I know if it was hotter and the dog was in real distress I'd have broken the window of the car. So please tell people to leave their dogs at home now that its getting warmer.
A better choice would be to call Law Enforcement and let them deal with the animal and the owner. Most municipalities now have laws about leaving pets in vehicles when the temp. is above 70.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A better choice would be to call Law Enforcement and let them deal with the animal and the owner. Most municipalities now have laws about leaving pets in vehicles when the temp. is above 70.
Yeah, call animal control and they will get there faster and have the tools to handle the situation.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
In our area where I shop 911 will get there very fast....and I will call!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I lived in San Francisco for the last 4+ years (most of the time I've had my dog), where it doesn't get above 60 even in the summer... now I'm living farther south, and already realizing I have to consider the weather! It still doesn't get HOT in my new city, but definitely has higher temps than SF. The other day I took Rudy with me, and didn't notice how warm it was until we'd left - luckily he was able to join me shopping, or I would've had to turn around & go back home.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I live in GA and there are only a few months of the year I can take Gator with me on errands and even then they are the quick in and outs, not grocery shoping. He loves riding in the car, I try to take him for a ride around the block early in the morning for most of the year once a week so he can get his "ride along" fix...LOL.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Yep I must agree leave your dogs at home in the ac where they will be far more comfy than in a sweltering car and also save you some jail time as the police and animal control are getting very sensitive and rightly so to animal abusers and people leaving their animals in the heat .

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
For many areas there is a very long wait time for animal control. so law enforcement is better.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,527 times
Some excellent advice, but unfortunately some just don't get it.

I went to my county animal control one day and there was a van in the parking lot with a small dog in a cage just barking away, window cracked. I didn't think the van was a rescue's, so I informed the workers inside of the poor pup. They paged the person to go out there, and just as they did that a young couple with a toddler come out from the back where the animals are and said they were leaving. I told the employee I sure hope they don't adopt to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs