Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times

Advertisements

Wow! All that money spent on dog training has paid off well. Today I moved to a new rental house; it has a chain link fenced yard. The neighbor has two dogs and leaves them in the yard while he's at work during the day. The two dogs LOST.THEIR. MINDS. when they saw first me, then my dog. I'm thinking - ok, these dogs want to kill me, and I signed a year lease...and I work from home.

But, I'm not afraid of dogs (behind a fence) and after about 20 minutes of positive reinforcement training without treats, we are all friends! I put my dog inside in the crate and went outside, where the dogs both acted ferocious. I spoke to them in calming, soft tones ("It's ok, puppy," stuff like that) and the barking lessened a bit. Then stopped for just a second - then started, so I said "No" - and I guess the dogs know that word well because they stopped, LOL! Then started again...so I did it again, but praised them over and over when they stopped. It was great! They are both friendly now!

Then I brought my dog outside and they went a little nuts, but I did the same things, and now the neighbor's alpha dog is in love with my dog. They licked faces through the fence. The other dog isn't as interested. I thought this would take a long time to do; I cannot believe it worked so well so quickly.

Dogs are good peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs