Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Dashdog may be right, her in far northern California all of our freshwater locations have warnings for toxins from algae blooms. I know of one family that lost both their Dobies after they swam in a fresh water lagoon here on the coast. One died in hours and the other in days. I hope all three of your dogs recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Have the dogs been in any water? With the heat in many places I am sure Blue-green algae is in bloom and it produces toxins that can be deadly. It can be found in fresh water and salt water.
^I was reading about the same exact thing online. It's very alarming.
We do have a small pond on our property, which all three dogs normally drink from. However, the pond is clear, filtered, and not stagnant. And it's regularly treated with an algaecide. Even if it was the culprit, it wouldn't explain why our friend's dog had the same symptoms, because they have no pond or other water feature in their yard.
Incidentally, all of these dogs are primarily indoor pets. In hot weather, they go outside to "do their business" and sniff around for a few minutes, then they're brought back into an air-conditioned home, where a big bowl of fresh water is always available. So overheating/deydration isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs