Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Toronto city council has voted unanimously to require that pet stores obtain cats and dogs from humane societies, shelters and rescue groups.

The aim is to block stores from obtaining pets from puppy mills.

Toronto News: Council moves to protect pets - thestar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
There won't be any pit bull puppies for sale, though, as they are outlawed in the entire province of Ontario.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
sounds good to me... The rescue group I am affiliated with just got 11 puppy mill dogs today
hopefully they stay away from hassling ethical breeders who unfortunately tend to get lumped in with the scumbags.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Toronto city council has voted unanimously to require that pet stores obtain cats and dogs from humane societies, shelters and rescue groups.

The aim is to block stores from obtaining pets from puppy mills.

Toronto News: Council moves to protect pets - thestar.com
...another "check" in the humane box! Now...if we can only get them to understand that "Bully Breeds" are not monsters

Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I am going to be the the poster everyone disagrees with.

All though the thought is great, being in business I dislike this type of regulation.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

All though the thought is great, being in business I dislike this type of regulation.
I love dogs, trap, rehome, transport, blah, blah, blah. BUT, I do agree with Driller1 that although it is a nice idea that doesn't mean I would like to have the Govt. regulate my business.

If they would have made it voluntary it would be nice (probably wouldn't work but still a nice thought) but this will never put the bad backyard breeders out of business.

That said, I don't subscribe to paying for a pure bred dog. It just goes against my grain. However, the breeders that are NOT bad will be hurt by this as well.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:

I'm libertarian, about as right wing as anyone can be, about as negative about the government as possible. But animals can't speak for themselves; animals can't protect themselves. Humans must do it for them. It's better to have a law than to have animals living and dying in misery. The Toronto ordnance could be the inspiration for other cities and states or provinces to save millions of dogs and other animals in breeding mills. They breed cats and other animals as well.

I hope that the dogs in this ordnance will come spayed or neutered or at least with a prepaid certificate for the person getting the dog.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm libertarian, about as right wing as anyone can be, about as negative about the government as possible. But animals can't speak for themselves; animals can't protect themselves. Humans must do it for them. It's better to have a law than to have animals living and dying in misery. The Toronto ordnance could be the inspiration for other cities and states or provinces to save millions of dogs and other animals in breeding mills. They breed cats and other animals as well.

I hope that the dogs in this ordnance will come spayed or neutered or at least with a prepaid certificate for the person getting the dog.
I think there ARE animal cruelty laws that are not enforced.

Why punish a business???

Go after the source.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Driller, I get where you're coming from, but this is a regulation I can live with because, as HIW said the animals can't protect themselves, and because responsible breeders aren't letting their puppies be sold in stores to anyone who has the money. These are puppy mill puppies and puppies from irresponsible backyard breeders who inbreed, breed dogs with genetic defects, etc.. True, it won't put a stop to puppy mills but it's a start.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:

Normally Driller, you and I are in agreement on most issues but on this one we definately are on opposite sides.

I'm all for any regulation that will help to erradicate the puppy mill industry. Its just wrong, evil and cruel. I'm not sure if you have ever been up close and personal to a puppy mill. If not, I wish for your health and sanity that you never have to see the conditions of even the "Best" ones. This sort of regulation is enacted to take away the demand for puppy mill dogs. The industry will die since it will no longer be profitable.

An example of this type of regulation is Albuqueque, New Mexico. It has been enacted there with excellent results. Euthenasia at the local shelters is way down from pre-regulation levels. In other words - its doing exactly what it was suppose to do. It is reducing the euthenasia of shelter dogs while still allowing for retail establishment to sell dogs. Of course, this will not do anything about the problem of back yard breeders. It will go a long way toward shutting down puppy mills. Thats why I support it so strongly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs